User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shock Kit - looking for input

So, our one year old Solitude...

I found myself unexpectedly having to give the suspension a real going through. My spare parts kit for the road has a whole new suite of items too.

Anyway, it now wears the MORryde HD shackle kit, X-Factor braces in all three positions, and CRE3000 have replaced the Equa-Flex equalizers. Also converted over to disc brakes.

I am now considering a little more upgrading in order to tame the harsh roads. We have not traveled any really bad roads yet with the CRE3000 installed to see how it does, but when we did an ~1,800 mile trip this year with the Equa-Flex in-place, some of jolts from the horrendous roads were just brutal in the cab. So much so that I toyed around with the thought of going IS conversion, but pretty much $7K all-in with discs just didn't make financial sense. With everything done so far, and if I add the shock kit, the total spend will be still less than half, granted all my 'free' labor, but makes more $ense!

So, I am wondering what those of you who have installed the Roadmaster kit, and I know there are several (hopefully still reading the forum), what you think of them now that time and miles have accumulated on your rigs...

TIA
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-18-2020 at 07:09 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed the comfort ride shocks in the spring on our 310GK, along with the Road Master slipper spring suspension. So I can`t compare to the MorRyde suspension but will say that I am very happy with the upgrade. Decided to put on the 4000lb spring set instead of the 3500lb as having read of numerous folks having their springs go flat, i thought it prudent to have the increased capacity. While some folks will say that the higher spring rate gives a harsher ride I have not noticed that compared to the OEM suspension system. Overall I do believe that the shocks do make a difference as well and as stated earlier am impressed and happy with the upgrade, no wet bolts to deal with and no popping and banging when backing up and putting the 5ver in my driveway. Guess only time will tell if it was a worth while investment
    Rob & Linda
    2019 Solitude 310GK, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Roadmaster suspension & shocks
    2022 F350 King Ranch DRW, 6.7 ltr PS,

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still happy I did mine. JoyRider at the time. Especially with my car in the garage the trailer acted like a diving board and wouldn't stop bouncing. After install, bouncing settles right down.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What 5th hitch are you using? I think I'd purchase a BD3 Hensley.
    Here's a quote from another forum.

"Last week I replaced my Curt 20K with a Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver. This past weekend we went on a weekend camping trip traveling about 200 miles one-way.

Well several times while towing to our campgrounds I forgot that I was towing a 39' Montana!!! It was such a smooth ride! If you don't fully concentrate on what you are doing, you will just forget you are towing anything at all!!!

We towed on I-75 in Florida, through several construction zones and she was so smooth!

So, if you should ever decide to go with a Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver, just remember you have been WARNED!"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed... watching.... can't decide on Roadmaster shocks or Sumo springs.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    What 5th hitch are you using? I think I'd purchase a BD3 Hensley.
    Here's a quote from another forum.

"Last week I replaced my Curt 20K with a Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver. This past weekend we went on a weekend camping trip traveling about 200 miles one-way.

Well several times while towing to our campgrounds I forgot that I was towing a 39' Montana!!! It was such a smooth ride! If you don't fully concentrate on what you are doing, you will just forget you are towing anything at all!!!

We towed on I-75 in Florida, through several construction zones and she was so smooth!

So, if you should ever decide to go with a Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver, just remember you have been WARNED!"
    Thanks for the input. However, I am not looking for a hitch swap. I am running a Goosebox as all my trailers now are towed goose - I need the bed free when not hauling and the Goosebox gives a really enjoyable tow except when circumstances generate a really hard jolt. The jolts I am looking to smooth out are when you're at highway speed and you crest a sharp apex such as the all-too-often-misaligned bridge approach slab versus abutment deck joint or that road joint that has 3+ inches of misalignment... So, sudden and sharp where the end result is the rig landing hard, because there is limit to what the cushioned equalizers can do, and then a rebound strike before settling back down.

I contemplated for a short while doing an extreme upgrade to Center Point Air Ride equalizers because I have towed a couple of heavy trailers with them and the ride was fantastic. However, those owners complained of air leaks and bag failures. Probably why you hear so little of them versus the MORryde IS even though the Air Ride have been out as long, and I actually think longer.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Subscribed... watching.... can't decide on Roadmaster shocks or Sumo springs.
    Nice, I too have been looking at the Sumo springs. My hesitancy with the Sumos are that they clearly cushion, but likely not dampen like a valved shock can. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Nice, I too have been looking at the Sumo springs. My hesitancy with the Sumos are that they clearly cushion, but likely not dampen like a valved shock can. Thoughts?
    A few months back I saw a big discount (15%) on SuperSprings so I jumped in. I was of a similar thought as you but none of the available shock kits fit my trailer.
    What I quickly became aware of is how lively this trailer is even on good roads. Often times I opened the door after arriving and anything not strapped down would be thrown onto the floor or if left on the floor tossed about. The TV I do strap down and a couple times found it unhinged hanging by the swivel arm. I tried carrying more in the tanks to smooth the ride but that brings it's own problems.
    What I have and your rig are two different animals. I use an Andersen Ultimate hitch so probably a similar hitch feel. With the Super Springs the ride smoothed out considerably, it's not bouncy any longer and chucking though before not a problem, more a distraction is minimal. One thing I wasn't aware of that they fixed is how the trailer leans outside going into turns. I felt a distinct difference the first time I went around a curve on an access ramp. It will bounce over washboard or hard bumps but nothing like before.
    My thought is they do act to cushion and damp the energy. The very action of them compressing and releasing is dissipating the energy as heat much like a shock. For the price of entry and the difference in labor to install (about an hour to collect the tools and do the job) it's worth a shot.
    https://www.supersprings.com/shop/tss-107-40/
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the Comfort Ride shocks on my Solitude 344GKand love the result.

I accidentally left some tools on the top of the bedroom dresser. After several hours of driving we stopped to fill up on fuel and my wife found the tools in the same spot...little movement but they didn't fall to the ground. The ride is very smooth. For comparison I also have the CRE3000 install from factory.

This is the second RV I've installed them on so I'm a fan.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went this route and could not be happier..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	980FD467-830F-4AB1-ADFA-25FB7D19F8C7.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	30245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16E44C43-110F-4441-9DA0-081691E4BADF.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	30246
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast