Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Embarrassing Tank Question

We tried to drain our tanks in our new 399TH for the first time today, but we couldn’t get ANYTHING to come out. First we thought that maybe there wasn’t enough in the tanks (we have only “lived” in the rig for about 4 days total) but then we decided that we’d at least get a dribble. I’m thinking there were two valves to open and we only opened 1 each time. We absolutely should have taken better notes during the PDI, but we can’t make heads or tails of them.

The panel below the Nautilus has 3 pulls: 2 grey and 1 black. Under the rig on the driver’s side there are 2 pulls with white handles, one towards the back of the main slide area and one in the very rear. There is also a black handled pull at the end of the rear pipe. My thought is that perhaps that is one that needs to be open for ANYTHING to come out?

Can someone help me figure out which pulls I need to open to drain each tank? The owner’s manual is literally ZERO help. Again, embarrassed to have to ask this but I can’t find actually helpful info anywhere. TIA!!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jillhope7 View Post
    We tried to drain our tanks in our new 399TH for the first time today, but we couldn’t get ANYTHING to come out. First we thought that maybe there wasn’t enough in the tanks (we have only “lived” in the rig for about 4 days total) but then we decided that we’d at least get a dribble. I’m thinking there were two valves to open and we only opened 1 each time. We absolutely should have taken better notes during the PDI, but we can’t make heads or tails of them.

The panel below the Nautilus has 3 pulls: 2 grey and 1 black. Under the rig on the driver’s side there are 2 pulls with white handles, one towards the back of the main slide area and one in the very rear. There is also a black handled pull at the end of the rear pipe. My thought is that perhaps that is one that needs to be open for ANYTHING to come out?

Can someone help me figure out which pulls I need to open to drain each tank? The owner’s manual is literally ZERO help. Again, embarrassed to have to ask this but I can’t find actually helpful info anywhere. TIA!!!
    The pulls under the Nautilus are for dumping the waste tanks. The white pull valves will be for the fresh water tanks. If you have two of them you must have two fresh water tanks.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did your tank sensors show?
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and was the trailer level when you tried to dump the tanks? The tanks are very flat and shallow. If the trailer is tilted, the outlets maybe "high and dry". Just a thought.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sensors showed black tanks as about 1/3 full, but nothing for the grey tanks (assuming that's a system glitch. I've taken one long shower and run the sinks a lot so there must be something - we definitely aren't leaking anything!) We were perfectly level and when I pulled the pull, I could hear water moving, but then it never came out. I tried the grey first to make sure our connections were tight (suggested in a video I watched) and then I tried the black, but in both cases we got absolutely nothing. If I were just trying to do the black tank and nothing came out, I'd assume it's a clog. But when nothing came out of the grey tank I thought I must be doing something wrong.

Does that mean that there aren't two valves for the pipe? I was concerned that I released liquid into the drain pipe but then by not pulling a second value open it was just hanging out in there.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE! I did some sleuthing on FB and I figured out my issue. I assumed the back pipe was the kitchen gray water and the second bathroom black. In actuality, the kitchen gray water comes out the front pipe, which we didn't try when we had such issues with the back pipe. I had installed one of those end of the pipe valves to protect from leaks that might happen when we were connecting the hoses. I didn't open that because we started with the back pipe first. But obviously both gray pulls that I pulled released water into the front pipe and the secondary valve caught it. So now I've got a bunch of gray water in the front pipe just waiting to come out. UGH. Sorry for the alarm and thanks for trying to help!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really need more than 1/3 of tank to dump properly. Your valves should be as follows: in the Nautilus center, Black is for your main bath toilet, grey 1 is for the shower/sink, grey 2 is for the kitchen sink, these all come out of the front discharge. The rear bathroom and washer drain goto Black 2 and that discharge is behind the rear axle. The white handles are for freshwater tank draining.

For the physical layout of the tanks, the black 1 and grey 1 are next to each other, with grey 2 above grey 1. The freshwater and black 2 are back near your rear axles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You really need more than 1/3 of tank to dump properly. Your valves should be as follows: in the Nautilus center, Black is for your main bath toilet, grey 1 is for the shower/sink, grey 2 is for the kitchen sink, these all come out of the front discharge. The rear bathroom and washer drain goto Black 2 and that discharge is behind the rear axle. The white handles are for freshwater tank draining.

For the physical layout of the tanks, the black 1 and grey 1 are next to each other, with grey 2 above grey 1. The freshwater and black 2 are back near your rear axles.

THANK YOU! Why doesn't this exist in a diagram anywhere??

So here is my conundrum. I believe there is gray water in the drain pipe, being kept in by my Valterra extra end cap value and the cap itself. Is it bad to keep that in there until I build up more in the tank? I'm not living in it full time for another week and a half, so I wouldn't likely be "ready" to dump it for 2 weeks from now.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here is my conundrum. I believe there is gray water in the drain pipe, being kept in by my Valterra extra end cap value and the cap itself. Is it bad to keep that in there until I build up more in the tank? I'm not living in it full time for another week and a half, so I wouldn't likely be "ready" to dump it for 2 weeks from now.
    It's ok to keep that water in there. If it bothers you, you can raise the curb side of the camper a little bit using manual mode of the leveling system and open your twist on gate valve. The only problem might be if it is completely full of water and you will experience below freezing temps for an extended period of time.

When we lived in our Momentum full time I never worried about that extra water, but we kept our twist on gate valves open, and our tank valves shut. We also ran the furnace if temps would be below freezing for an extended time.

For the tank layout, it was trial and error to figure it out. I know the actual layout of tanks because I've been in the underbelly more times than an owner should be required to go in there. I've changed out a black and grey tank valve, so I'm pretty familiar with what's down there.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I'd do in your situation... I'd dump everything and start over. Especially since you said you're going to be using the RV for 2 more weeks. This will give you a better idea of how long it takes to get to "dumping levels" moving forward. While it is a general rule of thumb that you hold off on dumping the black tanks until they are more than 1/3 full, that may not always be practical. In our case, we are only weekend warriors. We typically don't get to 1/3 full on a 3 or 4 day glamping trip. We still dump prior to leaving because it could be a month or more before we go out again and I don't want black water sitting for that long. Also, while dumping the grey first to make sure there are no leaks is not a bad suggestion, we do the opposite. First, buy a high quality slinky. They are spendy, but it's money well spent! I make sure I have a good solid connection all the way to the dump riser, then go ahead and dump. I also use a clear elbow at the riser so I can monitor what comes out. I dump my black tanks(s) first and rinse until I get mostly clear water out. Then I dump my grey tanks. Since the grey tanks are mostly clear, soapy water, that gives the stinky slinky a good flush/cleaning. Safe travels!

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]