User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 gmc 3500 srw

Thinking about ordering a 2021 GMC 3500 SRW to pull a 381m. Rated for 21300# fifth wheel just don't really want to make the leap to DRW because of Kentucky roads. Everyone think I will be ok?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, well this is a loaded question but what is the numbers for the srw 2021 3500, with a 20,000lbs gvwr I would want a dually. Will you be towing it cross country, near where you live or to the next state, anytime you get into those numbers I would want a dually but that's me, other will chime it soon?
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With an empty weight of nearly 15k, and GVWR OF 20K, that rig is well into dually territory. SRW will not handle that amount of weight. I agree with Spartacus

Go with a dually.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Redapple63; 10-19-2020 at 11:51 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the carrying capacity of the SRW truck estimated to be?

You will want at least 3500 lbs to even consider it.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2020 and 2021 GMC SRW trucks, if I'm not mistaken, do have better payload capabilities over the previous model years....but (and there's always a "but"), the most important number when it comes to towing heavy 5th Wheel Camping trailers is the payload number of the tow vehicle. You will run out of payload capacity BEFORE you run out of towing capacity. The 381M is a 20,000 lb GVWR trailer and if you calculate the possible pin weights that the trailer will produce, I don't think it's going to be possible to stay within the payload numbers with a SRW truck.....of ANY Brand. A good rule of thumb is the 20% value. In other words, the GVWR of the trailer (20,000 lbs) time 20% will equal 4000 lbs of pin weight. But many times the pin weight is actually more than 20%....and could be as high as 24-25%. So if using those numbers (20,000 lbs time 25%), you now are looking at a pin weight of 5000 lbs. So on average, the number between those two numbers, let's say 22 1/2 %....time the 20,000 and you are at 4500 lbs of pin weight. Even if the trailer ends up at 20%, which will produce approx. 4000 lbs of pin weight, you still have to add up the weight of the 5ver hitch, and anything and everything that goes in the truck.....passengers, possibly a truckbed tool box with tools in it, firewood?, extra fuel?....only you know how much additional weight you will be adding to the truck when the rig is ready to go camping.

Many of us both here, and in general, always use the "worst case scenario" for doing the calculations.....which is the GVWR of the trailer (20,000 lbs). You may never load the trailer that heavy, or you may be one of those people that have it at it's max weight rating (GVWR). Using the worst case scenario to calculate your tow vehicle specs and needs, keeps you out of trouble if you ever load the trailer as heavy as it is supposed to be ....20,000 lbs. If you get a truck (SRW) and the payload in it is in the 4200 lb range...maybe a bit more, remember, the trailer pin weight is just ONE of the things that puts weight on the truck and uses up that amount of available payload. Don't forget ALL of the other stuff I mentioned above.....hitch weight, passenger weight, etc, etc. A trailer that size, in my opinion should never be towed with a SRW truck.....but there are others that disagree with me. I'm a firm believer in having more than enough truck for the job....not just skimping by and right at or slightly over on capacities.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManofManyStangs View Post
    Thinking about ordering a 2021 GMC 3500 SRW to pull a 381m. Rated for 21300# fifth wheel just don't really want to make the leap to DRW because of Kentucky roads. Everyone think I will be ok?
    As the owner of a Ram 3500 SRW at that weight go Dually.
    Best of Luck and welcome to the forum.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys many thanks. I guess I'll order a dually. I was really wanting the Black Diamond Edition.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust us you will thank yourself later and your family will thank you also, me, I don't like living of the edge but that's me, good luck and let us know when you get it.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Trust us you will thank yourself later and your family will thank you also, me, I don't like living of the edge but that's me, good luck and let us know when you get it.
    I will just got off the phone with my brother with a build list for a Ford and GMC. I'm leaning more toward the GMC, its cheaper than the Ford by 10G.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, yeah they not giving them away but don't forget to check both specs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast