User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: F150 vs F350?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    I guess I’m not seeing the benefits of an F-150 HDPP. It seems out of place to me which may be why there aren’t many out there but that could just be my lack of understanding of Fords.
    Maybe the draw with the HDPP in the F-150 is you can get the 3.5 Ecoboost which as far as I know isn't available in the F-250. Slightly better fuel mileage maybe? I dunno.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Attachment 30376
    Here is the sticker on a 2" Class IV on an F150 with the MaxTow package. You see the problem here, the hitch tongue is rated for 10% of towing capacity but most trailers will be closer to 12 to. 15%

Added on Edit - Just check my windows sticker on my 2020 Jeep Rubicon and it has the towing option of a 2" Class iV hitch but has a 350 max tongue weight and 3500 tow rating.
    I only see a problem if this specific vehicle is rated for towing greater than a 12,100 lbs trailer or 1,210 lbs tongue weight.

What is the tow rating on this specific F150?
    Does it exceed 12,100 lbs?

Also there are a lot of trailers that weigh much less than the 12 - 15% of his hitches rating.

Max tow is available with more than one option. The 13,200 lb rating appears to be only for one specific engine (3.5 liter twin turbo) and other specified options including 20 in wheels and heavy duty springs.

Not sure what the note added on edit is supposed to convey other than the vehicle isn’t rated to tow a lot. A Class IV hitch on this makes little sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comfort levels of each individual person seems to be a big factor. Taking a 7000lb TT would easily be towable by a well equipped 1/2 ton truck, but you will feel it there. Behind a 3/4 ton, you will feel the trailer less due to stiffer springs, LT tires, and the truck physically weighing more. A 1 ton will tow it even better. A large dump truck and you wouldn’t even know the TT is there, even if it didn’t have wheels on it. For someone who has never towed anything, any jerking, movement of the trailer, a little push from the wind could make them feel uneasy. A heavier tow vehicle with more capability will reduce the impact the TT has on the tow vehicle.

It’s also important to take each specific vehicle’s actual tow ratings. Using the 2019 F-150 numbers, buying the standard V6 super crew 2wd, the tow rating is 5000lbs and max payload of 1700lbs. Now these numbers will drop when you add options. If someone buys this truck, tows their 7000lb TT, they will have a very different experience than someone towing this same TT with a 3.5EB or 5.0 with a tow package. If the person who had the standard V6 and goes out to buy an F-250 to replace their F-150, they will be talking about the major difference between the two trucks.

But the short answer is, if the TT is within all the specs of the tow vehicle’s specific towing numbers, you would be fine. Just remember the closer you get to maxing out any of those numbers, the more you will feel anything the trailer does and the more it will increase your stopping distance. If you want the most comfortable towing experience, make sure you have plenty of headroom in the numbers.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
    Comfort levels of each individual person seems to be a big factor. Taking a 7000lb TT would easily be towable by a well equipped 1/2 ton truck, but you will feel it there. Behind a 3/4 ton, you will feel the trailer less due to stiffer springs, LT tires, and the truck physically weighing more. A 1 ton will tow it even better. A large dump truck and you wouldn’t even know the TT is there, even if it didn’t have wheels on it. For someone who has never towed anything, any jerking, movement of the trailer, a little push from the wind could make them feel uneasy. A heavier tow vehicle with more capability will reduce the impact the TT has on the tow vehicle.

It’s also important to take each specific vehicle’s actual tow ratings. Using the 2019 F-150 numbers, buying the standard V6 super crew 2wd, the tow rating is 5000lbs and max payload of 1700lbs. Now these numbers will drop when you add options. If someone buys this truck, tows their 7000lb TT, they will have a very different experience than someone towing this same TT with a 3.5EB or 5.0 with a tow package. If the person who had the standard V6 and goes out to buy an F-250 to replace their F-150, they will be talking about the major difference between the two trucks.

But the short answer is, if the TT is within all the specs of the tow vehicle’s specific towing numbers, you would be fine. Just remember the closer you get to maxing out any of those numbers, the more you will feel anything the trailer does and the more it will increase your stopping distance. If you want the most comfortable towing experience, make sure you have plenty of headroom in the numbers.
    Well said, as that new guy towing about 7-8000 lbs with a 1 ton SRW.
    Is that overkill?
    Yep, and I like it that way. To each his own, just be careful and arrive safely.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    I had 2015 1500 Silverado LTZ with a max tow of 9100#. It was working way, way too hard to pull my rig up and down hills and I was way too close to towing capacity. I went looking for an F250 and through my looking found an almost brand new F350 Lariat with 22K miles on it for only $30K. It's not 4x4, mind you, but it has done everything I have asked of it so far, even in mud and sand at campgrounds. I can rest assured knowing that I'll never have to worry about being over in my weights and the F350 can stop the TT with no brakes (which unfortunately has happened from a wiring issue with the breaks on my way home from Florida). If I could have, I would have upgraded to a diesel dually.

I was asking my question because I was going over the F series trucks and when I saw the F150 ratings, I said to myself "Why did I just get an F350 if the F150 can tow so much?". Then I came on here to ask you all for more information why ford would even make an F150 to tow that much when they had the 250 and 350.
    That's a good question. I am a GM guy myself and don't really know that much about Ford's offerings are, aside from the basic F150,F250,etc. My guess is that most of the people who buy the F150 need it only for light pulling and hauling, and rarely tax the load carrying capabilities. Not sure why anyone would want to increase the capabilities of an F150 instead of buying an F250. You would still have the F150 lighter frame, suspension and brakes even with the HD towing package. Anything more than this is way beyond my thinking.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Maybe the draw with the HDPP in the F-150 is you can get the 3.5 Ecoboost which as far as I know isn't available in the F-250. Slightly better fuel mileage maybe? I dunno.
    Seems to me that if you need the increased towing and carrying capacity of the HDPP, then you would want more power, especially torque, than the 3.5 Ecoboost can supply. Like you, I dunno, either.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    13k is only on a very specific f150. My last f150 was rated for 11k and I once pulled an excavator and trailer totalling 10k. Never again. Going up hill was a challenge, going downhill was scary white knuckle. Pulling is one thing, stopping and safely handling is another.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I agree. A very specifically equipped F150 has a max towing capacity of 13,200 lbs which is the number you see all the time in the ads and literature. My 2020 F150 has a max towing capacity of 10,500 lbs. 2700 lbs less. Don't be fooled by Ford's literature. Then, as has already been mentioned, there is the payload capacity which varies from F150 to F150. Spec out the specific truck you either already own or are considering. NEVER just believe the literature or what you read on the internet.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People need to watch this video. Towing capacity varies just like payload and towing capacity is based of truck wieght ready to go camping just like payload.

https://rvacademy.com/my-class/match...ks-to-trailers
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    Don't be fooled by Ford's literature. Then, as has already been mentioned, there is the payload capacity which varies from F150 to F150. Spec out the specific truck you either already own or are considering. NEVER just believe the literature or what you read on the internet.
    Duhhh. Where do you find the specs other than the literature. One can’t claimed to be fooled when are not paying attention. The Ford literature on tow rating is clear, but you have to read and understand it ALL, not just what suits your fancy. Payload capacity typically varies from vehicle to vehicle, not just with Fords and not just F150s, and not just trucks.

Caveat emptor! Not a new concept!!
    And certainly the internet is NOT a reliable source of information even on user forums such as this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've towed with an F-150 and an F-250 (both diesel and gas). For me, it's all about how comfortable the driving experience is, as opposed to how much I can tow. Hands down, the heavier, longer wheelbase seems more stable in tricky driving situations and gets you to the end of the day much less tired.
    Dave and Linda Wood
    Central Texas
    2021 Imagine 2600RB (Emma Jean)
    2020 F-250 (The Beast)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast