Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: F150 vs F350?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVLIN View Post
    I've towed with an F-150 and an F-250 (both diesel and gas). For me, it's all about how comfortable the driving experience is, as opposed to how much I can tow. Hands down, the heavier, longer wheelbase seems more stable in tricky driving situations and gets you to the end of the day much less tired.
    It's really this. Heavier/more wheels (DRW) just makes towing better. And with a big trailer, it makes it much better.

I've mentioned this a few times, but I have a 7K landscape trailer I use to haul around my smaller mower and other stuff. Had it through 3 pickups, a F150 (3.5 ecoboost), F250 (6.7 diesel) and now an F450. The F150 towed it "fine", the F250 towed it "really well" and the F450, well.. You can honestly "forget it's back there".

The bigger/heavier/more overrated the tow vehicle, the more comfortable and calm a towing experience you will have. Also, when conditions get tougher (mountains, rain/snow/etc) and you're really pushing your limits, having more truck there so your not also pushing the trucks limit is invaluable, at least to me.

The bigger the truck, the more wheels it has, the better it will tow. Doesn't matter if it's a single axle motorcycle trailer or a tandem dual dump trailer, the bigger the truck, the better the tow. We always talk about "what's the minimum size truck I can use to tow XYZ with" when, in fact, it should really be "what's the biggest truck I can live with" and, from there, start to trailer shop. If you live in the country and can deal with a dually, well, don't pass go, just get a dually, preferably in diesel, and you'll have enough to tow whatever you want.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one on this thread has stated the obvious. And that is the delight and joy of driving a F250 or F350 (or similar) with a 1000 foot pounds of torque under your right foot while towing a 12K 5th wheel up a 6% grade and blowing by the Class A's, Class C's and Titans, Hemi's and F150's towing a trailer.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zinman View Post
    No one on this thread has stated the obvious. And that is the delight and joy of driving a F250 or F350 (or similar) with a 1000 foot pounds of torque under your right foot while towing a 12K 5th wheel up a 6% grade and blowing by the Class A's, Class C's and Titans, Hemi's and F150's towing a trailer.
    It’s not the torque, it’s the hp. Torque determines what it can do. HP determines how fast it can do it.

But I agree, it is delightful to feel that surge of energy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payload Calculator

[ATTACH]30554[/ATTACH

I creeped this Excel calculator somewhere off the net - may have come from KYD. Once I had completed a few calculations on F150 vs F250 and F350 --- I finally got what payload was all about! Maybe I'm just a slow learner - but all the talk didn't resonate until I found this.

Hopefully the attachment comes through
    Attached Files Attached Files

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Duhhh. Where do you find the specs other than the literature. One can’t claimed to be fooled when are not paying attention. The Ford literature on tow rating is clear, but you have to read and understand it ALL, not just what suits your fancy. Payload capacity typically varies from vehicle to vehicle, not just with Fords and not just F150s, and not just trucks.

Caveat emptor! Not a new concept!!
    And certainly the internet is NOT a reliable source of information even on user forums such as this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When I said literature I meant the literature you find on the showroom floor, in their magazine ads, in their TV ads, etc.. You also need to verify what a salesman tells you. Ford does produce a towing guide which when I bought my 2020 F150 in April 2020 was not available for 2020 models. It can now be found online if you search for it. I guess I should have been more clear about what I meant by literature. Basically I meant advertising literature. And you are absolutely right that you have to take the time to search out the correct information, make sure you understand it, and apply it to the specific truck you have or want to buy.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first posted to this thread I had no intention of knocking F250 or F350 trucks. I'm an "each to his/her own" guy. I just wanted to document what my F150 could do, which should also tell newbies that "150 series" 5th wheels are not for your basic F150 truck. It's obvious to me that any rig heavier than my 295RL needs a bigger truck and, of course, a heavier truck could tow my rig fine.

I finally got to take a trip: Tucson to Camp Verde AZ. Much of the I10/I17 is 75mph and my rig can do that just fine. I did try to drive more like 65 to 70. We had some strong cross winds on the way up and at times I felt them enough to slow to 60. The trip has a number of 6 percent grades and I drove them at 65, passing lots of trucks and an occasional RV (there weren't many out). No RVs passed me. The downgrades weren't an issue either. This truck and its fabulous 3.5L twin turbo is not our daddy's truck. My 2000 Ram 2500 with 8L V10 could not do anything like this.

If I were towing a big 5th I'd love to have the 1000+ ft/lb diesel heavy duty truck. For my rig, I'm quite happy.

The drive was about 200 miles and I got a "low fuel warning" at the end. My 36 gallon tank is a bit small, but then fuel requires payload. I'm sure the mileage would be better if I was driving flat roads. From home at 3200' through Phoenix at 1100' to Camp Verde 4300' on the way.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678