User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 vs F350?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the OP really wants to know if an F150 can tow it's ratings then the OP should hitch up a 10,000 TT and tow it with a rated F150 and an F250. The difference should be clear. My guess is after towing 10,000 lbs with a 145" WB F150 for 200 miles out across the wide open desert in the wind and then down some long 6%-8% grades that the OP will turn in the F150 keys.
    Point being is you don't know what you don't know.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Towing RV's is all about the PAYLOAD ratings, not "towing". All well equipped modern trucks have enough power to pull very large and heavy loads. The problem with the F-150 and diesel F-250 is they don't have enough payload capacity to tow heavier RV's and stay within the truck's payload rating.

The payload rating of a typical F-150 is around 1,500lbs. A diesel F-250 is around 2,500lbs. A diesel F-350 (SRW) is around 3,700lbs. Very rough numbers but you get the idea.

The F-150 (properly equipped) is great for towing small to medium sized trailers.
    THIS!^^^^^ Close the thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Lets look at 2020 F150 with 3.5 with a towing rating of 13,200
    https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/?gn...der-trucks-vhp

First Trailer
    10% of. 13,200 would mean you need a payload of 1320 just to accomadate the tongue weight.
    15% of. 13,200 would mean you need a payload of 1980 just to accomadate the tongue weight.
    At both weights above you are over the Cllass IV hitch rating and Ford will not install a Class 5 hitch on F150.
    Check the label on your hitch to see what the raings are. Ford Derates most hitches on most F150.

Second 5th wheel
    15% of. 13,200 would mean you need a payload of 1980 just to accomadate the pin weight.
    20% of. 13,200 would mean you need a payload of 2640 just to accomadate the pin weight.
    25% of. 13,200 would mean you need a payload of 3300 just to accomadate the pin weight.
    At 15% maybe but with Heavy Payalod at. 20% it would be hard to stay within. the ratings with passengers, hitch and etc in the truck.
    The above link shows up to a 13,200 lb tow rating for the twin turbo 3.5 liter engine. The link does state it is only for conventional towing, not for 5th wheel towing. The link also states max towing varies based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, and number of passengers.

Class 4 weight distribution hitches ARE available from Curt and Reese for ratings up to 17,000 lbs gross trailer weight. The weight distribution hardware takes some of the load so the ball doesn’t have to carry it all. The hitch reciever would of course have to be sized for this also. I assume that’s what is meant by Ford’s Max. Duty Trailer Tow Pkg. - Class IV receiver hitch. This hitch is required for the heavier tow ratings. I don’t see Ford derating its Max Duty hitch. That would just defeat the overall purpose of the Max Hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    My 2020 F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP) has a sticker payload of 2,743lbs.
    An F-150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package is very rare but also very capable! I spec'd one of these for my brother a year or two ago and at that time I don't think you could get a crew cab and you also couldn't get this package in the higher trim levels. This may have changed. Either way, it's a great package that makes an F-150 as capable at towing as an F-250. Very few people know about it though.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that makes an F-150 as capable at towing as an F-250.
    Now let's not get crazy
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An F-150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package is very rare but also very capable! I spec'd one of these for my brother a year or two ago and at that time I don't think you could get a crew cab and you also couldn't get this package in the higher trim levels. This may have changed. Either way, it's a great package that makes an F-150 as capable at towing as an F-250. Very few people know about it though.
    Is this to say that an F-150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP), rare as it may be to get, is actually an F-250 with a Ford marketing spin? Not being a Ford owner, why would someone spec out an F-150 with the HDPP package, which probably needs to be special ordered, over an F-250 SD gasser? The cost difference may be insignificant. If the answer is the F-150 rides better as a daily driver, then how does one account for the stiffer suspension of the F-150 with the HDPP?

I guess I’m not seeing the benefits of an F-150 HDPP. It seems out of place to me which may be why there aren’t many out there but that could just be my lack of understanding of Fords.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not about how much you can pull. It’s about how much you can stop. I will take F350 brakes and suspension to keep my family safe over a F150 any day.
    And then there is durability. Towing with your truck constantly “maxed out” will shorten the life span of brakes, suspension and steering components.
    I towed a 10,000lb TT over 150,000 miles between 2010 and 2020 with a 2000 Ford Excursion V10. Max tow capacity was 10,000. The engine was no problem. Brakes, suspension, steering components and my nerves at times wore out quickly. We just upgraded to a 2017 F350 dually and the difference is huge. Stability driving and stopping are so amazing my wife, who was after nervous before and had never towed, now tows in the mountains.

There is a lot more to towing an RV than towing capacity of the truck.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    ...Not being a Ford owner, why would someone spec out an F-150 with the HDPP package, which probably needs to be special ordered, over an F-250 SD gasser? The cost difference may be insignificant. If the answer is the F-150 rides better as a daily driver, then how does one account for the stiffer suspension of the F-150 with the HDPP?

I guess I’m not seeing the benefits of an F-150 HDPP. It seems out of place to me which may be why there aren’t many out there but that could just be my lack of understanding of Fords.
    Good points.

Here is what is included in the Heavy Duty Payload Package if anybody is curious...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heavy Duty Payload Package.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	30371
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    The above link shows up to a 13,200 lb tow rating for the twin turbo 3.5 liter engine. The link does state it is only for conventional towing, not for 5th wheel towing. The link also states max towing varies based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, and number of passengers.

Class 4 weight distribution hitches ARE available from Curt and Reese for ratings up to 17,000 lbs gross trailer weight. The weight distribution hardware takes some of the load so the ball doesn’t have to carry it all. The hitch reciever would of course have to be sized for this also. I assume that’s what is meant by Ford’s Max. Duty Trailer Tow Pkg. - Class IV receiver hitch. This hitch is required for the heavier tow ratings. I don’t see Ford derating its Max Duty hitch. That would just defeat the overall purpose of the Max Hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not sure where you got those numbers but Reese page says:
    "

1. Class IV hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1000 lbs maximum trailer tongue weight (TW).
    2. Class IV hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1400 lbs. maximum trailer tongue weight (TW)."

https://www.reese-hitches.com/learni...towing-classes

But Ford de-rates the Class IV hitch on most the the F150 I have seen and when asked the area rep they say because of frame.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like my posts get lost, or maybe there are different threads that I'm posting to. I have no doubts that an F250 or F350 can tow more than an F150. It also seems clear that many folks think of the standard F150 that you can buy off a dealer's lot. Let me once again tell you about my 2020 F150 with the HDPP option.
    1. Sticker payload 2,743 lbs. This is a 157" wheelbase crew cab with 6.5' bed.
    2. 5th wheel towing GVWR capacity (per Ford) 11,500 lbs, total GCVR 17,100.
    3. Here are my Cat scale weights compared to capacity. All good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weight results.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	30372

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast