Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RossF83 View Post
    Steer Axle: 5420
    Drive Axle: 3720

Sticker says 3943
    Your GCCC is 2904 per the sticker so per your scale tickets before adding fuel is you over 336lbs over you cargo capacity. No matter how you look at it you need a dually as you over your GCVWR too. Can you do it - yes. It will be hard on the truck. I know Ford has a hefty margin on their axles and breaks, but I don't know if Ram does or not. Based on their published ratings I suspect not.

Now from a legal standpoint, knowing your overloaded and you get in an accident things could get dicey with your insurance and the law. I would suggest you get more truck.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I solely went with a MegaCab Ram SRW 1 ton because their payload capacity was the highest of any trucks that wasn’t a dually. My 2018 has a payload capacity of 4118 lbs. I was a dyed in the wool Ford guy and the F350s are made here in Louisville, KY near to where I live. I know several guys that work at the plant. Their payload capacity wasn’t close to my Ram. I would definitely take some of the weight out of your truck and consider going with a low weight hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't you over your 10000 lb GVWR even before you hook up your trailer?
    You'll find the weight ratings you typically bump into, F/R axel wt., cargo capacity etc. are driven by the tire wt ratings. The highest tire wt. rating you'll likely find in a 1 ton SRW size tire is ~3650. Two of those is good for 7300 lbs., hence your axel wt. rating will be right there at the same number. Subtract the truck empty wt. and you'll see it all add up.
    To answer your question, yes you are over. Will you have a problem nobody can say. Ive towed my 310 Solitude literally all over North America with a 1 ton SRW that is right at the wt. limits. It tows nicely but I keep the speed down and good tires on it, and I keep a close eye on all the tires at every stop when towing.
    Bottom line, its a better tow on a dually, but SRW will work if you keep the weight down and take care of the equipment. Take it across the CAT scales again in a few months, you may be surprised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim2542 View Post
    ...I keep a close eye on all the tires at every stop when towing.
    Could I ask about your tire check process whenever you stop? Obviously, I've got a good TPMS monitoring pressures and temps, but wondering what kind of visual inspection I should be doing on top of that.
    Ross & Ruby
    2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Laramie SRW 6.7 Diesel Factory Airbags
    2020 311BHS 1.3 kW of solar, Victron brains, Safari batts

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could I ask about your tire check process whenever you stop? Obviously, I've got a good TPMS monitoring pressures and temps, but wondering what kind of visual inspection I should be doing on top of that.
    I dont use a TPMS system, GM 1 tons don't come with it and I never bought one for the trailer.
    I check TP before a trip, at a stop I feel the hubs and tires for temp, and run my hand over the tread looking for lumps cuts, nails etc. you can use a IR temp gun to check temps if you like, but running your hand over the tread is a good idea anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12