User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble adding air to Reese Goosebox Schrader valve.

I pulled my fifth wheel out of the seasonal site last Sunday, that was the second hook up to it since buying it a few months back.

At the dealership there was some issues getting my compressor chuck to get air into the line and airbag. Somehow I got it.

This time, I failed. I had to drive out to the nearest gas station with the Goosebox SLAMMING, I would apply throttle to pull out and the trailer would lift and rotate the goosebox and when the throttle is released the trailer would SLAM down on the goosebox pivot. Oh man, this is ugly. I had to get a few miles to the gas station being as soft as I could be on this.

At the gas station I pulled to the air compressor and had similar issues, but then tried the back side dually chuck, the side meant to be pulled towards you.... and that one was able to make it and seal to the schrader valve.

The problem... It appears that the brass block and the installed schrader valve on the Goosebox is a bit short and not reaching deep enough into the typical air chuck to press the core and also seal. It gets the seal, but not pressing the core in to open the passage. So the compressor thinks you have air pressure, but it is actually the pressure in the chuck itself!

So I now have seen my own air chuck and the gas station air chuck both are to deep to make the valve core press and open.... So I desire to change out the brass block and associated schrader valve to something that is universally acceptable by any and all normal air chucks.

Is there anyone else who may have seen this issue? Have you addressed this, and if so... how?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reese - Gooseneck Air Fitting.jpg  
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    I pulled my fifth wheel out of the seasonal site last Sunday, that was the second hook up to it since buying it a few months back.

At the dealership there was some issues getting my compressor chuck to get air into the line and airbag. Somehow I got it.

This time, I failed. I had to drive out to the nearest gas station with the Goosebox SLAMMING, I would apply throttle to pull out and the trailer would lift and rotate the goosebox and when the throttle is released the trailer would SLAM down on the goosebox pivot. Oh man, this is ugly. I had to get a few miles to the gas station being as soft as I could be on this.

At the gas station I pulled to the air compressor and had similar issues, but then tried the back side dually chuck, the side meant to be pulled towards you.... and that one was able to make it and seal to the schrader valve.

The problem... It appears that the brass block and the installed schrader valve on the Goosebox is a bit short and not reaching deep enough into the typical air chuck to press the core and also seal. It gets the seal, but not pressing the core in to open the passage. So the compressor thinks you have air pressure, but it is actually the pressure in the chuck itself!

So I now have seen my own air chuck and the gas station air chuck both are to deep to make the valve core press and open.... So I desire to change out the brass block and associated schrader valve to something that is universally acceptable by any and all normal air chucks.

Is there anyone else who may have seen this issue? Have you addressed this, and if so... how?
    Reese that make the Goosebox is a very good company to deal with. I would call technical support and discuss this with them. There is either something wrong with your valve or a common problem that Reese likely has a good solution for you.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called and talked to a fellow, he has never heard of this issue. That makes me a moron of epic proportions I suppose.

So he explains that you have to press the schrader valve in as if you are bleeding the air from the unit, lock the air chuck and maintain the schrader valve pressed in fully. You hold this pressed in position during the air bag fill procedure, and once you are full to the proper indicator level, you release and remove the chuck.

In my defense, I had the thing installed when I bought the camper this summer and never got paperwork. The dealership tech and me both fought together to get air in this thing, and we accidentally got it. I also observed that with no air chuck, if I push the Schrader valve in, it leaks out the air from the line and airbag, so my assumption was that the Schrader valve must stay out (sealed and not leaking to atmosphere) to fill, and you simply push with your thumb to reduce or release air.

Now I went and downloaded the PDF instructions. Maybe had I got these or if the dealership tech had looked at them... the ID10T factor would have been eliminated! Now I have to go try again and see if this makes it simple and easy. Dang it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goosebox Fill Page 7.jpg  
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called and talked to a fellow, he has never heard of this issue. That makes me a moron of epic proportions I suppose.

So he explains that you have to press the schrader valve in as if you are bleeding the air from the unit, lock the air chuck and maintain the schrader valve pressed in fully. You hold this pressed in position during the air bag fill procedure, and once you are full to the proper indicator level, you release and remove the chuck.

In my defense, I had the thing installed when I bought the camper this summer and never got paperwork. The dealership tech and me both fought together to get air in this thing, and we accidentally got it. I also observed that with no air chuck, if I push the Schrader valve in, it leaks out the air from the line and airbag, so my assumption was that the Schrader valve must stay out (sealed and not leaking to atmosphere) to fill, and you simply push with your thumb to reduce or release air.

Now I went and downloaded the PDF instructions. Maybe had I got these or if the dealership tech had looked at them... the ID10T factor would have been eliminated! Now I have to go try again and see if this makes it simple and easy. Dang it!
    No worries. Glad you got the info that you needed. We have all done stuff like this whether with the trailer or something else. I did something similar loading a grease gun cartridge for years. Always fought with the spring to get it closed. Thought it was a stupid design until my son was helping me and he used You Tube to look it up and found out the spring handle has a lock that holds the spring retracted. Easiest thing to load the cartridge now that I know that.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    No worries. Glad you got the info that you needed. We have all done stuff like this whether with the trailer or something else. I did something similar loading a grease gun cartridge for years. Always fought with the spring to get it closed. Thought it was a stupid design until my son was helping me and he used You Tube to look it up and found out the spring handle has a lock that holds the spring retracted. Easiest thing to load the cartridge now that I know that.

Rob
    FWIW Rob, Ditto, been there, done that.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been there, done that, got the Tshirt.

In your defense, the techs and the supporting dealership are paid (by you when buy the trailer) to know the product. Putting you on the road with little to no air is potentially dangerous and totally indefensible.

I had a similar experience on my toy hauler during the PDI..this was our fourth trailer...tech tried to jamb a locking pin my 2020 version of the Happijac bed system. He couldn't find lock pins, went to the garage, came back and tried to show me how to lock the bed in place with the pins.. After fighting with it for 15 min (5/8 pin, 1/2 holes). I politely told him I'd figure it out. I had to correct him on several other instructions he gave us on the trailer. I pulled the manual. NO PINS for the system...been like that since 2018... I took out some black gloss touch-up paint and fixed where he had tried "show me how it's done". Frankly. I think a lab monkey would have tried the first couple times and figured it out, but that's me being not nice. I get it, big dealership, they sell a dozen different brands with hundreds of models, but c'mon.

But I digress. I'm turning into an RV curmudgeon I guess. If it wasn't for these forums, I'd be in a world of hurt all these years.
    Last edited by MooManChu; 11-03-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here Here MooManChu to the delivery walk through from hell with an RV tech who knew less about my new rig than I did. Yep been there unfortunately.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post

Rob
    Off topic, but IRT the spring lock... Be careful not to accidentally release the spring lock before you screw on the head otherwise you'll get a 2" X 9" log of grease on your shoe! Ask me how I know...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Off topic, but IRT the spring lock... Be careful not to accidentally release the spring lock before you screw on the head otherwise you'll get a 2" X 9" log of grease on your shoe! Ask me how I know...

John
    LMAO!!! Yes I can imagine that this would make a huge mess.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS