User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV backup camera

My new Grand Design TT is prewired for a Furrion backup camera. Pricing on these seem high. Is Furrion a good choice? Could anyone suggest what might be my best option regarding a backup and rear view monitoring camera?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    My new Grand Design TT is prewired for a Furrion backup camera. Pricing on these seem high. Is Furrion a good choice? Could anyone suggest what might be my best option regarding a backup and rear view monitoring camera?
    I have heard that most people that have the Furrion backup camera like it. As you say they are very expensive. I was not going to spend that kind of money on one so I bought and installed this camera and it has been working very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many other alternatives out there. Haloview is a common alternative. I would suggest you search YouTube for reviews of others.

I would also suggest before you buy one to determine if you actually need one. I have a 2970RL that is 34+ feet. My overall length with TV is about 50 ft. After installing new tow mirrors I determined I don't need a camera. My wife is ALWAYS my spotter with 2-way radio when backing up. As for on the road, I can't do anything about what is behind me. I just need to know when it is safe to change lanes and the good mirrors give me that.

Others have reported some lag in picture signal while moving so I don't know how beneficial a 1 to 2 second old picture is when your moving at 60+ mph.

Providing a cheap bracket and wiring is an awesome way for Furrion to generate sales. They have created their own need.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the Furrion back up camera last April from the dealer. Charged $600 - biggest regret with my 303rls - camera is not even Hi definition. Really Furrion - never again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, Rob. Will this unit fit into the Furrion pre-wire set up?.......John

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Rob. Will this unit fit into the Furrion pre-wire set up?.......John
    It will fit the pre-wired setup minus the fancy sharkfin at the back but the bracket fits the same holes and the plug adapter just allows you to plug right in. Here is the kit info that worked for me.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    All you have to do is request it from the camera supplier and they will send it free of charge.

The only other thing that I needed to do was to seal up the hole for the wiring really good with Sealant when I was all connected. On my 297RSTS I just have to turn on the tail lights and that powers the camera. Yours may be wired differently though.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our dealer sold us a Chinese knockoff for less than the furion. I'm sure glad I didnt pay more. I thought that I would of relied more on it but no. It does not replace a spotter. It does help to keep an eye on your rear bike rack while traveling. It does help a little if you absolutely have to back up without a spotter but you'll still need to get out a couple of times to visual check.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak to the Furion camera specifically as I have the Ford TPMS/camera system but I do believe there is value in seeing the area immediately behind your trailer. There have been a few occasions when I had to back up without a spotter and the camera made it possible without jumping out the truck and running to the back of the trailer multiple times. If you have a bike rack, you can check on it's status as you head down the road. Even when my wife is spotting for me, I use both mirrors and the camera to augment her view. I invested a couple hundred additional dollars in an aftermarket interface that allows for the use of my system while in motion. All in I'm at $1,000 for camera, tpms and the interface device. I'll bet the Furion seems like a better deal now.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one since I have to back into my rv pad with my trailer fairly regularly. It's the only way I can see how close it is to my shed without a second person helping or getting out constantly. If you don't ever need to back into places with a hard stop without a spotter it probably isn't necessary. That said if you are like me and unluckily get into situations with traffic or road construction or weather or whatever, sometimes you end up having to back up on a roadway slightly due to idiots and it's unsafe to have a spotter out on a busy road.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I determined I don't need a camera. My wife is ALWAYS my spotter with 2-way radio when backing up. As for on the road, I can't do anything about what is behind me. I just need to know when it is safe to change lanes and the good mirrors give me that.
    Same here! With all the other stuff needed for our rig, this was de-prioritized for us.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast