Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a little accident!!

Good Day Folks!!

Closing on on this first timers inaugural cross country trip, we crossed into our home state of Florida from Georgia a couple hours ago. Upon arriving at the KOA in Jennings, FL. and doing our set up preps - my DW approached me with a long face. Appears both of our rear scissor jacks were bent back, the left one will not go up or down. The right rear went down enough to make contact with the ground pad, but is bu no means flat, as it should be.

Our hunch is we made contact leaving a gas station north of Valdosta. I had to make a pretty sharp RH turn to get out of the gas station, and the ramp from the gas station onto the street was pretty sharp - thats only my hunch. It was fine when we left Gainesville, GA and the gas station was our only stop, other than a pit stop prior for a bladder call.

In any case, this is the situation in our continuing saga of this cross country adventure.

So my questions - fortunately we have a camping world near by in Valdosta, less than 10 miles away. Would they carry scissor jacks for this rig? BTW we are in a Grand Design Imagine, 2670MK. The scissor jacks are typically lowered and raised using a battery operated drill. The Camping World closed at 5PM, so unable to inquire, but will first thing in the morning.

It looks like they are easily removed (I hope) with just a couple fasteners holding each to the structural beam.

So knowing we only have partial contact with one rear stabilizer - is it safe to use the rig?? We did un-hitch the tongue jack and two forward stabilizers are secure. The two rear stabilizers are the concern.

Any suggestions or input?

Thanks!
    Steve
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camping world should carry the scissor style stabilizer. if replacing both I would upgrade to heaviest one they have typically 5 to 6.5K lbs rating all the way up to 10K. Just be aware of the total lift as that is another spec these are rated by. They will be a beefier unit and less likely to break down or bend in the future. Yes you will be OK unhitching and not having all 4 down. The camper will just be a little "bouncy" when walking around inside. The usually are bolted to the frame with self drilling hex screws. You may want to get some heavier replacements for those as and they will tend to snap over time. Here is an example of what Etrailer has. https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...48-979006.html
    2018 303RLS dual AC , table with chairs and 3 awning covers.. pulled by a 2021 GMC 3500 AT4, Andersen hitch with Factory turnover ball

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As was said, should be able to get replacements IF there's inventory with the broad shortage of RV parts. Take one off and with you because the heavier stabilizers have a different bolt pattern. You can stabilize by stacking up some firewood in a pinch. If you cannot source replacements, pick up a set of screw adjustable jack stands.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avidcamper View Post
    Camping world should carry the scissor style stabilizer. if replacing both I would upgrade to heaviest one they have typically 5 to 6.5K lbs rating all the way up to 10K. Just be aware of the total lift as that is another spec these are rated by. They will be a beefier unit and less likely to break down or bend in the future. Yes you will be OK unhitching and not having all 4 down. The camper will just be a little "bouncy" when walking around inside. The usually are bolted to the frame with self drilling hex screws. You may want to get some heavier replacements for those as and they will tend to snap over time. Here is an example of what Etrailer has. https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...48-979006.html
    Can definitely attest to the bounciness!! That could be fun later - wink wink!!
    Steve & Pat

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Good Day Folks!!

Closing on on this first timers inaugural cross country trip, we crossed into our home state of Florida from Georgia a couple hours ago. Upon arriving at the KOA in Jennings, FL. and doing our set up preps - my DW approached me with a long face. Appears both of our rear scissor jacks were bent back, the left one will not go up or down. The right rear went down enough to make contact with the ground pad, but is bu no means flat, as it should be.

Our hunch is we made contact leaving a gas station north of Valdosta. I had to make a pretty sharp RH turn to get out of the gas station, and the ramp from the gas station onto the street was pretty sharp - thats only my hunch. It was fine when we left Gainesville, GA and the gas station was our only stop, other than a pit stop prior for a bladder call.

In any case, this is the situation in our continuing saga of this cross country adventure.

So my questions - fortunately we have a camping world near by in Valdosta, less than 10 miles away. Would they carry scissor jacks for this rig? BTW we are in a Grand Design Imagine, 2670MK. The scissor jacks are typically lowered and raised using a battery operated drill. The Camping World closed at 5PM, so unable to inquire, but will first thing in the morning.

It looks like they are easily removed (I hope) with just a couple fasteners holding each to the structural beam.

So knowing we only have partial contact with one rear stabilizer - is it safe to use the rig?? We did un-hitch the tongue jack and two forward stabilizers are secure. The two rear stabilizers are the concern.

Thanks!
    Steve
    Was the frame bent where the jack was screwed in?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Good Day Folks!!

Thanks!
    Steve
    Yes Camping World has them.
    We bent one in a similar way on our 1st trip.
    Caution, check that they screw up and down in the same direction as the non damaged jacks.
    Due to not checking, 3 jacks go in one direction. Then new one goes in the opposite direction.
    Not a big deal, a minor nuisance.
    Good Luck:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I saw no damage to the frame, only the jacks, but thanks for pointing out!!
    Steve & Pat

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazon will ship them to one of your next stops. Just call ahead to the campground to be sure they accept packages and will hold it for arrival. It might save you a few bucks??
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding heavier jacks, I would rather have the jacks bend instead of the frame. If the jacks do not give, the frame might....
    JK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At one point in time a couple years ago I saw on the interlink that someone made a quick release/remove system for the back scissors jacks. Basically pull a pin or two and off they came. I looked again about 6 months ago and I couldn't find them.

If that sort of thing is out there somewhere I think it would be nice to have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast