User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LV Naturist, I took a look at your other post- ouch. Next time stay at Shadow Hills RV Resort or Emerald RV although its not cheap. Shadow Hills is good maneuvering and reasonable prices. .
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a little mishap we had 2 trips ago. We were visiting relatives and staying in a KOA that looked to have been a former pine tree plantation. The sites were skinny with lots and lots of trees and one way roads. When we went to leave we weren't even close to being able to make the turn out of the site. Thankfully the people across from us had left, so back and forth I go pulling foreword and backing up, trying to maneuver the camper in very tight quarters. After a number of times back and forth I thought I had cleared everything. I was turning to my left and couldn't see the back right of the camper and I misjudged my clearance. I ended up brushing heavily against a tree. Thankfully the tree was leaning away and I only caught the bottom of the camper. $2600 later we will have a new outside kitchen door and a new long piece of 14" material between the back end and the slide.

Attachment 30277

It could be much worse and we still have been able to use it. My real frustration is that the trees had no limbs or foliage until quite a ways up, so they offered no privacy. I think they could stand to lose a few of them.
    I can imagine this is quite a painful experience. I backed into a tree with my prior fiver. Fortunately, that camper had a rear bumper that doubled as the sewer slinky compartment. The bumper was bent, but there was no body damage. One of my biggest disappoints with my GD 303RLS was that it did not have a bumper. Another frustration with campers is no provision for backup lights. I recently built a steel bumper for my 303 that incorporated backup light and stabilizing struts. The bumper is behind the trailer hitch, but I put a Curt hitch adapter on the bumper. This is more functional than the GD hitch that did not provide enough extension length to keep my bike handlebars from hitting the back of the camper (another sad story on my prior camper that cost me a rear window pane.) The lights are wired to a four trailer light harness that can be plugged into the existing four wire trailer connector. This is not automatic but handy when backing into a spot after dark. I will try to attach a couple of picturesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Bumper.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	30547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strong Arm.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	30548. The second is the JT Strong Arms I added to the front. These in addition to the rear bumper struts really make the trailer solid.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1988 we picked up our brand new 38 foot Layton Travel Trailer. I stopped a few blocks from the dealer to adjust the leveling bars. As I was pulling away I made a sharp right turn... Who put that big dumpster there anyway???

I used Bondo to repair the tears in the corrugated aluminum to mimic the contour, replaced a piece of wood in the middle section of the rear door, as well as more Bondo (Yeah, I was big on Bondo back then) to repair the ripped=open fiberglass fascia of the door. I bought all three exact colors of spray paint (stripes) from the dealer. When we sold that trailer 25 years later almost 10 years ago after pulling it for 25 years. I still have the three "unopened" cans of spray paint... Life is a lesson.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a little mishap we had 2 trips ago. We were visiting relatives and staying in a KOA that looked to have been a former pine tree plantation. The sites were skinny with lots and lots of trees and one way roads. When we went to leave we weren't even close to being able to make the turn out of the site. Thankfully the people across from us had left, so back and forth I go pulling foreword and backing up, trying to maneuver the camper in very tight quarters. After a number of times back and forth I thought I had cleared everything. I was turning to my left and couldn't see the back right of the camper and I misjudged my clearance. I ended up brushing heavily against a tree. Thankfully the tree was leaning away and I only caught the bottom of the camper. $2600 later we will have a new outside kitchen door and a new long piece of 14" material between the back end and the slide.

Attachment 30277

It could be much worse and we still have been able to use it. My real frustration is that the trees had no limbs or foliage until quite a ways up, so they offered no privacy. I think they could stand to lose a few of them.
    I just posted my own "trees don't move story". I tore a slide out topper off. It just happens, don't feel bad. I've been full time 1 year. Benny
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhop56 View Post
    I just posted my own "trees don't move story". I tore a slide out topper off. It just happens, don't feel bad. I've been full time 1 year. Benny
    I'm sure these things happen when you've been at it long enough. Sorry to hear about yours.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparenty houses don't move either. Bonehead move on my part while parking my 308 next to the garage for the winter.

Caught the gutter with the bunkhouse slide topper. 1" more would and would have cleared.

Luckily I was able to repair the roof gutter, but will need to replace the topper fabric in the spring.

Lesson learned.... use a spotter in tight spots.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201126_132521.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	31094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201126_132516.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	31095

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD
    2017 308BHTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12