Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, trees don't move for campers!

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a little mishap we had 2 trips ago. We were visiting relatives and staying in a KOA that looked to have been a former pine tree plantation. The sites were skinny with lots and lots of trees and one way roads. When we went to leave we weren't even close to being able to make the turn out of the site. Thankfully the people across from us had left, so back and forth I go pulling foreword and backing up, trying to maneuver the camper in very tight quarters. After a number of times back and forth I thought I had cleared everything. I was turning to my left and couldn't see the back right of the camper and I misjudged my clearance. I ended up brushing heavily against a tree. Thankfully the tree was leaning away and I only caught the bottom of the camper. $2600 later we will have a new outside kitchen door and a new long piece of 14" material between the back end and the slide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camper2.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	30277

It could be much worse and we still have been able to use it. My real frustration is that the trees had no limbs or foliage until quite a ways up, so they offered no privacy. I think they could stand to lose a few of them.
    Last edited by Timmer; 10-21-2020 at 04:05 PM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! Hate when that happens. Glad to see you're on track for repairs.

Just curious, is that something insurance would cover, or is it not worth the bother.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD
    2017 308BHTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jguzek View Post
    Just curious, is that something insurance would cover, or is it not worth the bother.
    Yes, $500 out of my pocket. That is all for now, anyway. In my experience, insurance rates go up after any mishap and you pay for it over time and then some.
    Timmer

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI - if you're a handy DIYer, you can get the material and repair easily for far less. The J-wrap is cheap, it's the freight that hurts. Same with the door. Outside of that, R&R is pretty easy to do. Just needs time and patience.

Glad you only received cosmetic damage. When I was recently at the GD Factory Service Center, there was a brand new Solitude in for a complete wall and roof replacement after a tree would not get out of the owner's way on the inaugural camping trip... That is a huge bill on the insurance, and the folks were super nice and so upset.
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-21-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    FYI - if you're a handy DIYer, you can get the material and repair easily for far less. The J-wrap is cheap, it's the freight that hurts. Same with the door. Outside of that, R&R is pretty easy to do. Just needs time and patience.

Glad you only received cosmetic damage. When I was recently at the GD Factory Service Center, there was a brand new Solitude in for a complete wall and roof replacement after a tree would not get out of the owner's way on the inaugural camping trip... That is a huge bill on the insurance, and the folks were super nice and so upset.
    I'm moderately to fairly handy. The wife is the CFO/COO of the household. She did look into getting the parts but there was some sort of issue with the decals. I don't know if it was that she couldn't get them or if the dealer said they were hard to put on or what. All I know was that it was decided we were bringing it in!

Here in MN we have a bridge heading into Wisconsin just north of the Twin Cities that we have heard has been the doom of many a camper. An acquaintance took his AC units off his new camper on his inaugural camper trip just this last spring. On this very trip where we hit the tree, we went under the bridge for the first time with this camper. We checked on the way out of town and we could get through, but it seemed close. I held my breath a bit going under it. Thankfully, we were watching signs on the way back and realized it was a much shorter clearance on the inside lane heading back. We had to take the alternative route around the bridge. That would have been serious insult to injury if we had assumed we could go under it on they way back because we were able to on the way out. We would have added at least AC damage, if not roof damage, to match the new damage to our side!
    Last edited by Timmer; 10-21-2020 at 04:43 PM.
    Timmer

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel everyone's pain. I attempted to use my 3 week old 2020 Solitude 372WB as a cleaver on my garage overhang after our inaugural trip two weeks ago when parking. I fixed the garage but the new toy is heading to the dealership for repairs. $500 deductible and Lord knows what the insurance will pay. I'm mortified this happened, for almost 5 years I have been backing my Alpenlite 34RL and then a Heartland Big Country into this same spot without mishap. It just really stinks.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So easy to do. My first 5th wheel back in 1999 we were driving around a campground loop looking for a spot when I suddenly was forced to a stop. We weren’t going fast at all. 1-2 mph as I recall. Since it didn’t seem that I hit anything, like a moron I pushed on the gas and moved forward a few feet then stopped again. Finally got out and found a lone branch hanging over the rig, buried deep into the rubber roof. 6 feet tear and the rig still had temp tags on it. Live and learn.

+++++++++++++++++++
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Andersen ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    MicroAir Easy-Start
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zinman View Post
    I feel everyone's pain. I attempted to use my 3 week old 2020 Solitude 372WB as a cleaver on my garage overhang after our inaugural trip two weeks ago when parking. I fixed the garage but the new toy is heading to the dealership for repairs. $500 deductible and Lord knows what the insurance will pay. I'm mortified this happened, for almost 5 years I have been backing my Alpenlite 34RL and then a Heartland Big Country into this same spot without mishap. It just really stinks.
    Oh dang!! Love our 372WB! You got to love some of these parks that advertise "Big Rig Friendly"..... yea sure....
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    ...Here in MN we have a bridge heading into Wisconsin just north of the Twin Cities...
    Interested to know where this bridge is. We live in the Twin Cities and no doubt be hauling our 303RLS that way sometime. The crossings that come to mind are Stillwater, Osceola, Taylor's Falls, and Grantsburg; I don't recall any of them involves a low bridge.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Timmer I feel your pain, not that I ever hit a tree, but they were in my way...

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...the-Tail-Swing!

Doo doo often occurs, get'r fixed and enjoy!

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast