Likes Likes:  0

Thread: need advice

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need advice

we tow our 2800BH with a 2019 Ram 1500 limited -5.7L-395hp gas-3.92 ratio-air suspension auto level- sway pro 1000 and have no issues with power or stopping, but windy days and Semi passing will move us to an uncomfortable sideward movement and slow us down to 55 mph. Would a 3/4 ton truck - or- a pro pride hitch be the answer to fix the sway problem ? The truck is rated @ 11540 lb towing capacity &2400 payload.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll let others with SRW trucks chime in, but my experience with a DRW towing a fifth wheel is that on mild to moderately windy days we've had no issues staying in our lane. I've had double trailers blow by me with no ill effects. One time coming back west on I-80 from Salt Lake City to California, it was super windy out there. The double trailer semis and especially the motorhomes and Mercedes van based RVs were being blown out of their lanes - with the motorhomes and Mercedes vans being blown up to a half lane over. At one point we saw a bunch of dust devils in the distance. All of a sudden I felt a sharp jolt, which scared me. I think what happened is we actually passed through one of the dust devils. Fortunately for us, our truck/trailer did not move out of our lane nor did it suffer any other ill effects other than the sharp jolt. Maybe we were just lucky. But I was sure glad to be in a 9500 lbs DRW truck that day.

Quote Originally Posted by mike n sher View Post
    we tow our 2800BH with a 2019 Ram 1500 limited -5.7L-395hp gas-3.92 ratio-air suspension auto level- sway pro 1000 and have no issues with power or stopping, but windy days and Semi passing will move us to an uncomfortable sideward movement and slow us down to 55 mph. Would a 3/4 ton truck - or- a pro pride hitch be the answer to fix the sway problem ? The truck is rated @ 11540 lb towing capacity &2400 payload.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, the truck is rated but likely the tires are not. I have the same configuration as my daily driver and if you have P-rated tires they're not stiff enough. That said, that is not the source of your problem, but exacerbates it. A heavier truck is almost a no brainer solution. Almost because many 3/4s have little to no more payload than a 1500 but do weigh a little more and have stiffer suspension and bigger brakes. That latter obviously helps. Now the engineering solution of that hitch goes without saying, and there is a long track record of performance. However, the beast is heavy and you may not have free payload to support it in camping form loaded with the family. My point is you need to look at several factors simultaneously.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp weekend warrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you need to move up to the “HD” or “Super Duty” class trucks. My opinion is that if you are going to consider a 3/4 truck, why not just get the 1 ton SRW. Very little difference in ride quality and cost. But you get the extra payload, specifically on the rear axle, which helps with “handling” the trailer.

Some trailers will absolutely require a dually. However if you have a trailer that a 3/4 ton could pull, why not just get the 1 ton SRW to give yourself extra margin.

Big difference in practicality of a DRW and SRW when not towing a trailer....

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 2800BH and our TV was a 2016 Chevy 1500 (5.3 liter, crew cab, 5.75' bed, LT Z71 265/65/R18) with the Blue Ox Sway Pro with the 1000# bars. In numerous load outs and 8, 9, 10 chain link configurations, I went from "cannot drive over 55/60 on the Hwy without getting blown around" to "drives up to 60/65 fairly decent, some porpoising (10 links was best)." it was initially so bad I almost dropped money in a new hitch. My wife had me upgrade to a 2020 Chevy 2500 (6.6 liter gas, crew cab, 6'9" bed, LT Z71 275/70/R18E), because that is clearly more economical than a hitch. However, night and day. Both hitches were set up identical with ball 1.5" over the receiver. The 2500 has been a dream. The only bummer is it drives like a truck when I am not towing, versus the nice ride of the 1/2 ton. I never scaled it. My guess is I was over pay load with my load out (wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs, gear) in the 1/2 ton and/or the load out in the front of the trailer add too much. With the same load out, it's amazing and steady strong at 75/80 (I sped up to test it out). My local mileage has been 1 mpg less than the 1/2 ton. My three cents.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, first a clarity in definitions - you are not really describing "sway", which is the back and forth oscillation of the back end due to too low of a tongue weight. That can amplify very quickly into a life threatening situation. But, side winds and truck suck are all too real of an issue, also. And those effects can initiate sway, if you are prone to it. So if the back and forth wants to continue, vs a single sideways pull or push, look first at increasing your tongue weight. That is the only real cure if you are getting true sway.
    You'll see recommendations to go with load range "E" tires, which can help somewhat. My truck came with them, so that didn't help me.
    I bit the bullet and spent the big bucks on the ProPride hitch. Initially it seemed like it helped, but later trips I still had issues. This spring, I went over everything to recheck my install, and discovered that I had one piece installed wrong! Fixed that, and made sure it all was exactly as detailed in the very complete manual. Just completed 3500 miles, from Minn, to WI, to MI, to PA, then WVA and back to Minn. Faced 40+ gusts in Michigan, with hardly an issue at 65. I knew it was windy, but could steer one handed. Most of the trip, there was only a very slight pull as a big rig passed me, if any at all.
    Illinois to Wisconsin, by passing Chicago, it was very, very strong cross winds and there I slowed to 60-65. Truck suck was more of an issue. But again, not white knuckle. I just knew they were there. The next day, same highway but calm winds, and all was perfect.
    I would whole heartedly recommend the hitch. Is it a perfect cure-all? Nope. But it did move my towing experience from "We ought to sell this thing" to "Hey, this tows just like the old 5th wheel we had".
    Costs a lot, but is far cheaper than a new truck.....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pulling with a 2017 Ram Big Horn Hemi 3.21 gears with a Equilizer WD hitch and Sumo helper springs to keep squat in check . It does fine as long as I run at 62/63. I do get sucked in by semis and some SUVs, and I can feel a cross wind, but it not "white knuckle" by any means.
    I did replace the rear tires from the oem Goodyears to Cooper Discoverer HT plus which has a 3000 lb rating and run at 50 psi. (will change out the front tires in the spring)
    2400 lb payload is huge for a 1500, didn't know they made them that big, mine is only 1400+.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BTW - I pump up my tires to the max sidewall pressure (80lbs), and that is a noticeable improvement, too. I went with Michelin's, but subsequent posts on other forums suggests that they may still be a little soft for the sidewalls. I do hate that the tread picks up gravel, and then later flings it off when on pavement - sounds like a machine gun for a few miles.....
    Yep, "Properly equipped" 1/2 tons can handle more payload than most 3/4 tons. My 2012 has a sticker of 2166. More recent vintages can be significantly higher....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike n sher View Post
    Mike:
    The Propride is a great hitch. It will help a lot with sway as the hitch itself moves side to side to
    absorb the trailer sway and not pass all of it to the truck. We had the 2019 1500 Ram Limited and it made
    a major difference in sway. My Ram only had 1425 lbs. of payload. We upgraded to a 2020 Ram 3500 Limited SRW.
    It made a major difference. With the 1500 the tail was wagging the dog. Now the Dog hardly know
    the tail is there. We still use the ProPride. To me it is a safety issue, the closer you are to the trucks limits
    the less control you have in my opinion. The 3500 does not have the comfort ride of the 1500 but it is safer.

We all define things like control and safety differently. Do what is best for you and your family and
    have a great time camping.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into getting a Hensley or Propride hitch, they both eliminate sway. We tow our 26RLS with a Hensley Arrow and we've never had any issues with sway. Both hitches were designed by the same guy and are very similar. There are lots of videos on the Web that cover both. Both hitches are expensive but they are cheaper than a new truck. Checking out the tires is also good idea. If you need any more info just ask.