Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Landing gear

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landing gear

Does anyone know if the front landing gear (hydraulic) on a Solitude will work without a battery in the unit if hooked up to my TV? Currently the coach is parked at a remote storage site and I’d like to remove the battery while the weather is still relatively warm and store it in my heated garage. We are planning to head to AZ in January (if the border reopens) and the temps will be a lot colder then. It would be a lot easier to reinstall the battery when I bring the trailer home to prep for the trip. TIA.

P.S. I’m not worried about the emergency brakes as it is a short distance home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe your TV or convertor will not be able to handle the current the pump will draw.
    Most people have issues if there battery is not fully charged let alone not there.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also kind of doubt you'd get enough amperage from the TV to power the hydraulic pump.

Maybe just throw the battery in the bed of the TV, go to the storage lot and use some jumper cables to bring the jacks up. Take it home and do the permanent install.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Does anyone know if the front landing gear (hydraulic) on a Solitude will work without a battery in the unit if hooked up to my TV? Currently the coach is parked at a remote storage site and I’d like to remove the battery while the weather is still relatively warm and store it in my heated garage. We are planning to head to AZ in January (if the border reopens) and the temps will be a lot colder then. It would be a lot easier to reinstall the battery when I bring the trailer home to prep for the trip. TIA.

P.S. I’m not worried about the emergency brakes as it is a short distance home.
    I doubt it would work w/o a battery. On our Solitude I have measured 65~90A draw for the hydraulic system. In cooler weather the current draw increases. The converter puts out 55A (at best). The LevelUp system is very voltage sensitive and does not work well at low voltage. Through the RV cable, the tow vehicle will only supply about 10~20A current. If you have long enough jumper cables you could jumper from the TV battery to the trailer battery cable, but you will get a significant voltage drop at high current through the cables.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 10-22-2020 at 09:04 AM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I also kind of doubt you'd get enough amperage from the TV to power the hydraulic pump.

Maybe just throw the battery in the bed of the TV, go to the storage lot and use some jumper cables to bring the jacks up. Take it home and do the permanent install.
    Thats a good ideaer!