User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new RV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying a new RV

My wife and I have decided to take the plunge and buy a RV next year. After much research we have decided on the Imagine 2600RB. I am planning on buying a Dodge Ram 2500 gas burner as my tow vehicle. Our weekend trips will be the 2 of us but her parents will probably join us on longer trips. We hope to travel out west to the Tetons and up through Yellowstone.
    I have a couple questions I hope the group can help me with.
    1) What is the best time of year to buy an RV? I know the market isn't great but hopefully we can get a decent deal next year.
    2) Everyone is telling me i need a diesel truck but I'm not sure the cost of the vehicle and the maintenance are in my budget.
    3) Does the group have any advise for a first timer?
    Thanks for your help

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best time of year is hard right now. It seems like many dealers arent negotiating much right now because of how hot the market is. If I were buying right now, I'd wait a little bit longer and search for good used deals. I'm guessing a lot of people that impulse purchased RVs because of COVID will realize that RVing isnt for them and will want to sell.

I think with an Imagine, a gas 3/4 ton truck will be fine. The gas version does give you more payload because of the lighter engine.

I prefer diesel in the mountain area mainly for the exhaust brake, but there are plenty of people on this forum who use a gas tow vehicle and say they have no problems with towing.

Just make sure to do your research on weights. Estimate 12 - 15% of the trailer GVWR to give you a realistic idea on tounge weight. Add the weight of all possible passengers, the hitch and any other equipment not installed by the factory. All of those weights need to be less than the payload rating of the truck, which can be found on the tire loading sticker inside the driver door (dont go by published numbers). Some will say payload numbers dont matter, and in my opinion this is correct to an extent. You really want to make sure you don't exceed tire and axle ratings, and I think with an Imagine and a gas 3/4 ton, you will be ok.

It's also wise to consider the gas 1 ton, gives you extra capacity for when you upgrade trailers, because everyone does at some point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done a lot of towing with gas and diesel engines. Diesels are nice and I sure like mine but the gas burners will certainly get the job done. Get a 1 ton truck if you can, the cost difference from a 3/4 ton is negligible and you will have the extra capacity to upgrade to a heavier camper should you decide to do so (something that happens a lot).
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTN View Post
    I've done a lot of towing with gas and diesel engines. Diesels are nice and I sure like mine but the gas burners will certainly get the job done. Get a 1 ton truck if you can, the cost difference from a 3/4 ton is negligible and you will have the extra capacity to upgrade to a heavier camper should you decide to do so (something that happens a lot).

^^This^^. I agree.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Usually not spring or summer.
    2) Don't need a diesel but they do get better mpg. and pull easily. Downside is cost and possible repair costs after warranty ends. I agree with considering a 1 ton for use with a possible upgrade later. They don't ride much different than a 3/4.
    3) Be prepared to endure the BS of warranty repairs, it's quite possible to have 20 to 30 "issues". They may take a lot of trips back to the dealer so try to buy as close to home as possible. Before you pay try every piece of equipment and hook up to water to check plumbing/water heater/etc. Look at the frame for rust and broken bracing. Look at the roof and caulking. Get a pre delivery inspection form from here and ask to see the dealers filled out form. The stuff you can catch and get fixed before you pay means less headaches later.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    1) Usually not spring or summer.
    2) Don't need a diesel but they do get better mpg. and pull easily. Downside is cost and possible repair costs after warranty ends. I agree with considering a 1 ton for use with a possible upgrade later. They don't ride much different than a 3/4.
    3) Be prepared to endure the BS of warranty repairs, it's quite possible to have 20 to 30 "issues". They may take a lot of trips back to the dealer so try to buy as close to home as possible. Before you pay try every piece of equipment and hook up to water to check plumbing/water heater/etc. Look at the frame for rust and broken bracing. Look at the roof and caulking. Get a pre delivery inspection form from here and ask to see the dealers filled out form. The stuff you can catch and get fixed before you pay means less headaches later.
    Let me just add this as I am very surprised. I put off purchasing a diesel for many, many years. Then in 2018 I purchased a used Ram 2500 with 23,000 miles on it for $39,000. The other day i decided to look at blue book values on my truck just to get an idea. The TRADE IN value coming up on my rig is $39,000 to $41,000 with 55k miles on it.

So....just my two cents. First, I have fallen in love with the power of the diesel. Oil change every 10,000 miles or so and doing it myself only costs about $100.

But to have that kind of value on this truck after two years (worth the same now as it was when I bought it) is simply nuts. Now of course, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But geez. Blue book is pretty close.

Just something else to think about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post

Blue book is pretty close.

Just something else to think about.
    In my experience blue book values for used vehicles are never even close to what dealers will pay or what buyers will pay in an auction.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    In my experience blue book values for used vehicles are never even close to what dealers will pay or what buyers will pay in an auction.

Depends on what you mean by “never even close.” I agree, if you mean blue book usually a couple grand more than “reality.”

+++++++++++++++++++
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Andersen ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    MicroAir Easy-Start
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you are going to buy a truck, get the 1 ton and a good hitch set-up. This keeps you from having to upgrade your truck in the future.
    Especially when you have family staying inside with you, a larger RV will come in handy.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    Since you are going to buy a truck, get the 1 ton and a good hitch set-up. This keeps you from having to upgrade your truck in the future.
    Especially when you have family staying inside with you, a larger RV will come in handy.
    I have heard some HOAs don't allow 1 ton trucks because they consider them commercial vehicles. Might be worth a check depending on where you live.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast