Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing Bottom Slide Seal?

Ran slides out in our driveway to load up for our trip. While torquing wheel lugs I notice a strip of rubber about two feet long laying on the driveway. Look around and find that the bottom seal under the dinette slide has ripped. It looked like it would be easy to replace. Now I'm not so sure. It looks like the seal is an assembly attached to a channel. The channel runs the length of the slide. I cant tell if that channel supports the slide or just butts up to the slide floor. I initially thought that it would just be a matter of replacing the rubber strip. The seal is similar to the wiper seals on the side of the slides. So I think its there to prevent dust and bugs getting in or water. The strip ripped off is like the wiper seal on sides. Behind it the rubber strip is still there to prevent water intrusion. I called Grand Design and they are sending me a new seal. So kudos to them. They were very accommodating. I am 4 months out of warranty. So if they send me a long channel assembly I will need to find out how to replace it. Perhaps just live with it. I really dont see how water can get up under the bottom of the slide when extended. Your thoughts? Anyone replaced bottom slide seal? Every trip out is an adventure and wondering what will break or not work. This trip ripped slide seal, outside porch light out and a collapsed awning strut. Kudos to Grand Design for standing behind them and replacing.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been helping a friend with his slide out seals. In the end he had a shop come out and replace his bottom seal on a bedroom slide. It doesn't look like it would be hard as long as you have the right seal.

We did a bunch of surfing on You Tube for reference info. Check there and you will see lots of folks who have replace their slides. This comes with the usual You Tube warning - lots of bad videos and a few worth you time.....
    Last edited by traveldawg; 10-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I looked the bottom slide seal over and decided I cant replace it. Called our dealer and he confirmed what I had suspected. To replace seal the entire slide out has to be removed. So I called Grand Design and they have agreed to pay for a new seal and evaluate the labor charges. Seal is about $375 and 4 to 6 hours labor at $135 an hour. Warranty ran out in July so I guess I should be happy. However I don't think after a little over a years ownership I should have to be replacing a seal. Its just been one problem after another. I will say Grand Design has stood behind warranty work and has even extended it to cover water intrusion in the underbelly. Still not sure if this is fixed yet or not. So back to the dealer for more repairs. At least our season is over and it can sit on the lot until its repaired.