User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Reflection 31MB on order. Questions on backup camera pre-wire

Hi all, just put a deposit down on a factory order 31MB yesterday, dealer tells me around 8 weeks for delivery. Now starting to plan accessories. I'm looking for information on what the Furrion backup camera pre-wire setup is like.

I have a cheap $50 monitor in my truck with 4 inputs. Currently have a camera mounted in the grill to show the front hitch in slot 1, a standard license plate frame backup camera in slot 2. Planning to add a truck bed camera to slot 3 (to show the gooseneck ball - adding a Reese Goose Box to the 31MB) and want to use a wireless adapter to hook the rear RV camera to slot 4.

So...What cabling exists at the rear of the RV? I'm assuming a standard RCA cable for video signal and a power/ground wire? Where do those wires route to on the trailer? I'd like to be able to mount a generic camera back there using the supplied wiring, and install one end of the wireless adapter where the wiring terminates, and the other end of the wireless adapter in the truck.

Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Reflection 31MB on order. Questions on backup camera pre-wire

My 2020 31mb (if I remember correctly) was wired specifically for the Furrion. Meaning a power line for the furrion. It’s a Bluetooth device that is powered by turning on the running lights. No hardwire from camera through vehicle plug. All Bluetooth.

I hope that helps. It was pretty easy to plug and go. But I am also using the included drivers cab monitor for mine. Not plugging into any third party device.

+++++++++++++++++++
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Andersen ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    MicroAir Easy-Start
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Furrion is wireless video. The prewire is only power and ground. You will need to use another camera and either run a cable yourself of get a wireless module for it and compatible with the gear you already have. There are mounting adapters for the Furrion housing to install other cameras.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it, thanks to you both. Will see what I can put together to make this work the way I want. Appreciate the responses.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, LBZ Duramax
    B&W Turnover Ball with 4" offset

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you're already invested, you probably don't care, but there are workable wireless camera / monitor sets on Amazon for $150, much cheaper than the Furrion. There's also an adapter to fit the camera on the Furrion mount. I got an extra camera for mine, intending to view the hitch, but haven't worked out how to mount and power it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    Since you're already invested, you probably don't care, but there are workable wireless camera / monitor sets on Amazon for $150, much cheaper than the Furrion. There's also an adapter to fit the camera on the Furrion mount. I got an extra camera for mine, intending to view the hitch, but haven't worked out how to mount and power it yet.
    Thanks. I have no-name monitor and now 3 cameras installed in the truck, total investment so far is about $120. I found a wireless transmitter and receiver that will work with a generic camera as well, planning to use that on the RV, but need to have it here before I decide what type of camera and where to mount stuff, so I put the RV camera planning on hold until I take delivery.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder550 View Post
    .. I found a wireless transmitter and receiver that will work with a generic camera as well, planning to use that on the RV, ...
    Howdy, I'm tracking this thread with interest, I'm planning something similar (ok, planning to plan... no details yet).
    Thunder550, do you have information on your wireless transmitter/receiver pair's range? I have a 397TH, so for my setup I'll need to go across about 45 feet (at least), and no direct line of sight between antennas (no part of the truck is visible from the center rear top of the RV, and I'm not going to mount any tall antennas). How confident are you that your setup will provide good video quality over your 35-ish feet? Or are you going to put the antennas closer?
    Regards,
    Ken

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned this on another thread, but there's always some degree of latency with the bluetooth and other wireless cameras.

With the last one we had, the latency was so bad that I'd see a car coming up on the monitor at the same time it was passing my side view mirror...

I did a hardwire install and don't regret it a bit. Zero latency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lane Hog, for highlighting latency can be an issue. I was more worried about image quality (or no image)-- I have a wireless camera that can't reach the monitor from 45 feet (it is a Rohent). Beyond about 20 feet, image quickly goes from bad to black.
    Wired definitely has its advantages. For me, though, I am willing to try wireless if it will reduce my installation time. So, still interested in hearing what thunder550 has to say.
    Kenton

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    I mentioned this on another thread, but there's always some degree of latency with the bluetooth and other wireless cameras.

With the last one we had, the latency was so bad that I'd see a car coming up on the monitor at the same time it was passing my side view mirror...

I did a hardwire install and don't regret it a bit. Zero latency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by going_greens View Post
    Howdy, I'm tracking this thread with interest, I'm planning something similar (ok, planning to plan... no details yet).
    Thunder550, do you have information on your wireless transmitter/receiver pair's range? I have a 397TH, so for my setup I'll need to go across about 45 feet (at least), and no direct line of sight between antennas (no part of the truck is visible from the center rear top of the RV, and I'm not going to mount any tall antennas). How confident are you that your setup will provide good video quality over your 35-ish feet? Or are you going to put the antennas closer?
    Regards,
    Ken
    I know it's late, been a couple months since I've logged on. I ended up having to move my transmitter in the RV closer, it's now below the control panel just inside the main door of the 31MB, probably 15-20 feet with essentially direct line of sight to the receiver. This involved fishing wire through the ceiling of the 31, which was a complete PITA. But at least it works better now than when it was mounted in the rear of the RV, the flickering and cutting out is significantly reduced...from probably 50-60% of the time to maybe 5%. No complaints at the point based on the price I paid.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k