User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priming the pump to winterize.

Embarrassed that I am having this issue. What’s the trick to getting the pump primed for the nautilus system when winterizing with antifreeze. I blew everything out, have the panel settings correct. Tube inserted into tank and connected to city water. But cannot get it to prime.

Ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2100.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	30297

Ah heck. Disregard. Just after I posted I went inside, turned cold water on and off a lot, and it suddenly caught. Sorry.

+++++++++++++++++++
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Andersen ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    MicroAir Easy-Start
    Last edited by traveldawg; 11-08-2020 at 07:58 PM. Reason: fixed type in subject line
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could probably do the same thing outside with the sprayer hose, right?
    Mine has a pump switch outside also...
    Did one gallon do all the outlets?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    You could probably do the same thing outside with the sprayer hose, right?
    Mine has a pump switch outside also...
    Did one gallon do all the outlets?
    Well...you would think so. But here is what happened. I went into the rig to the bathroom. Cold water on and off about 15 times and I could hear it getting primed. Let it run through cold then hot line, then went to shower and ran out of gallon jug so had to switch jugs.

Went to kitchen thinking cold water on off like in bathroom would work. It didn’t. Wouldn’t prime up with second jug (shouldn’t have let the first one run dry). Back to bathroom and that trick did it again. Dealt with shower then sink with that jug.

Then did both quick connect sprayer lines. Total was two gallons with a little left over but only a couple of ounces.

So in short, two gallons for the lines. I took a third gallon and just ensured the toilet had some, and did all the traps.

More than you asked. Sorry.

+++++++++++++++++++
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Andersen ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    MicroAir Easy-Start
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing u do is turn the filter screen in the city water outlet around so it pushes in. Then dump a couple jugs in a 5 gallon bucket so u don’t have to keep checking to see if u run one dry. I usually use up 3 jugs winterizing mine
    Last edited by Clanker24; 10-23-2020 at 04:25 AM.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm really curious as both previous units only took one gallon to get r done...maybe the nautilus system requires more?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Momentum 394M and last year when I winterized, I went through right at 4 gallons of the pink stuff. That included all the normal stuff plus both the outside spray ports and the lines going to the back of the trailer (the garage area) for the washer/dryer water lines. It also included not only running some water in the toilet, but pouring some in it when finished. And the post above hit the nail on the head.....take out the screen/plunger piece in the city water inlet port and turn it around....it's a check valve and sometimes the water pump just simply doesn't create enough suction to siphon the liquid out of the bucket/bottle/whatever you are using to supply the antifreeze. Make sure that you take it out and turn it back around when done though.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others have said, turn the screen around. Our 315 uses 3 gallons of antifreeze. There is a lot more piping involved with the nautilus system.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The other priming trick is hold the hose you put in the jug up above the pump and fill with antifreeze. Then cycle the pump but don't pull everything out of the hose. Do this several times until pump is primed, then refill the hose and quickly insert it into the jug, You need to have a faucet open while you do this. Has always worked for me.

BTW - I use a clear siphon hose for this so I can see what going on.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure wish I saw this earlier today.... LOL. Figured out the screen thing after a million different configurations of priming. As you can see I am new to this forum and model. My other RV sucked it right up.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Utah View Post
    Sure wish I saw this earlier today.... LOL. Figured out the screen thing after a million different configurations of priming. As you can see I am new to this forum and model. My other RV sucked it right up.
    Just be sure you reinstall the screen correctly or when you on the pump water will com out the fitting.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar