User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowefamily View Post
    Sounds like most of you are suggesting I should stick with long bed dually. Good. I was questioning myself heavily there.

The initial cost of diesel isn't a problem, but what about long term maintenance and operation costs. Most of my daily driving is quite quick and short. I'm worried that diesel engine will only rarely get the full workout.

7.3 engine with 4.3 axles, 7.3 engine with 3.73 axles, or 6.7 diesel with 3.55?

Gas 3.73 and Diesel 3.55 save most on fuel.
    Gas 4.3 is the most I really need.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
    Emissions controlled diesels do not like short trip use. They need long runs on the highway, or your ownership costs will escalate.
    General cost of ownership is higher than gas because diesel has been higher than gasoline for some time and you'll need to feed it DEF. Fuel filter changes are more frequent and more costly. Oil changes about balance out with gassers.

There are many more comparison, both good and bad, but primary short trip use and lifetime truck are nearly mutually exclusive in a modern emissions controlled diesel IMO.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daily driving will usually be under 15 miles with an additional 100 miles on weekends. Every 30-90 days take out for 500-2000 mile 3-30 day trip.

Is that too light usage to keep diesel long term healthy?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Dually because our camper is a 44-45' long, 20,000 lb GVWR Momentum 394M....which is Definitely NOT overkill. On the other hand, I also have a 6' x 10' utility trailer with a fold down ramp on the back that I use occasionally for hauling "stuff". I always kind of giggle when I hook it up to the Dually and I'm driving down the road.....thinking about what someone might be thinking......a Dually truck pulling a trailer that could be towed with an SUV......so a bit of overkill on that one.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Emissions controlled diesels do not like short trip use. They need long runs on the highway, or your ownership costs will escalate.
    General cost of ownership is higher than gas because diesel has been higher than gasoline for some time and you'll need to feed it DEF. Fuel filter changes are more frequent and more costly. Oil changes about balance out with gassers.

There are many more comparison, both good and bad, but primary short trip use and lifetime truck are nearly mutually exclusive in a modern emissions controlled diesel IMO.
    I concur, emission controlled diesels hate short trips, and towing heavy can eat up the DEF twice as fast. For instance when we travel from Texas to Indiana to visit family with just the truck, we can drive over 3000 miles on a single 5.5 gallon tank of DEF. Towing the Solitude we used half a tank of DEF from Texas just to get into Illinois. Filled the DEF at a truck stop and paid 2.99 /gallon at the pump, box DEF was $17.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opt for the DRW diesel, and don't look back.

Like stated above, don't recall anyone ever saying they wish they had less truck.

Mine is a daily driver in SoCal......other than the DW mentioning how many spaces I take when parking I have no issues.
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion based on what you're debating, I would definitely go with the dually. Its a much better towing experience; more traction for braking and sway resistance. And if you will occasionally haul a heavy load, it will handle it with ease. Reduce your air pressure in the rears when not towing for a slightly smoother ride and air up to whats required when towing/hauling or just set it and forget it. I would go 7.3 gas with 4.30. If I didn't have to park in a parking garage everyday, my 450 would be a daily driver. IF I could do it again, I would go with a F450 pickup with a 7.3 gas but that doesn't exist.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all!

I decided on-

F350 king ranch long bed dually, 7.3 gas, with 4.3 axle ratio

Best colors this year for king ranch?

Tempted to save $2k by not including the 5th wheel mount.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd keep the 5th wheel mount. At least it's there if you change your mind, and it includes the gooseneck ball mount which is popular with construction type trailers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better to have the available weight capacity and possibly not need it, than to need the capacity and not have it.
    2020 Solitude 380FL
    2022 F450 King Ranch DRW
    US Submarine Veteran
    USS Queenfish SSN 651

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F-350 dually. You’ll be able to tow anything. I’ve got a 2020 F-350 6.7 PS with 355 gears towing a 2019 Reflection 337. I’ve got 4000 miles on it and towing my RV I’m getting almost 13 mpg. Good luck

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast