User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recently purchased a f350 6.7 CC 4X4 DRW. This truck far exceeds expectations and we love it. Every aspect of towing is much improved. Prior to the new truck, we had SRWs and a gas engine. We'll never go back.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think DRW trucks are the best choice for towing TTs. The lateral stability has to have a lot of benefit.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a F250 8 foot bed converted to a dually for blowout safety. I have a fifth wheel. I can't pull or haul any more than it was originally rated for but the tires share the weight making less likely a rock etc will cause a blowout. If it would happen your spare is already on the truck. I would not go back to a SRW. There is nothing wrong with having more than needed, it just means it is easier on the drivetrain. Put it this way, you are running full speed, the most you can do, verses an easy steady pace. The stress on the body is less with the easy pace. The same is with the truck. Stay safe.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to go the dually route then I suggest you look closely at the F-450. The price difference from the F-350 is minimal and it has a much smaller turning radius than the 350.
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duallys and hitches

Quote Originally Posted by TS_Breezes View Post
    If you decide to go the dually route then I suggest you look closely at the F-450. The price difference from the F-350 is minimal and it has a much smaller turning radius than the 350.
    I was really surprised by this, and it is correct. I forget the actual numbers, but it does seem significant. Additionally, with the 450 you don't have any issue with the dreaded "death Wobble". Not sure that its still an issue in 2021, but my 2018 F-250 definitely had it although they have now offered a re-engineered steering stabilizer. ANYWAY, the 450 avoids all of that, gives you bigger breaks which are always useful, and my personal belief is that the fuel mileage will be no different than a 250 or 350.

As to the hitch, if you get the hitch package it should prep for both Fiver and Goose. This to me is the best option, as you might need either one, or you could use and Andersen Ultimate hitch which is removable, and allows towing a fiver on a goose ball (but not a cheesy converter). Of course you would still have the integrated bumper hitch for TTs.

I love my 2018 King Ranch, but next will be a 450 dually king ranch (my forever truck).

Williams & Williams

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the comments on considering the 450. The turning radius delta is significant.

I bought a 350 based on inventory and the ability to deal. It's a great truck, and I wouldn't say I regret my decision. Just that, all else being equal, the 450 is superior based on turning radius alone.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only f450 included the 7.3 gas engine....

As for fifth wheel, if we ever need to go that route it will be with geny executive kingpin gooseneck conversion.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powerscol has a real point when it comes to mileage (and torque) on the newer trucks that would be greatly appreciated. I had a 1999 7.3L F250 and it was a big upgrade from the prior generation of Superdutys. You commenting that your looking at one with a 7.3 tells me it is a significantly older truck. The venerable 7.3 has a good repair and longevity track record but even they wear out and if you looking for a long term keeper you may wish to look into one that is newer that will certainly have more torque and better gearing. With that said I have had 4 Superdutys and at each purchase torque and mileage was a significant factor for purchasing. Not having towed with a dually I cannot speak to that point but I do know you can tow a heck of a lot (13K 5th wheel) with great stability with a long bed single rear wheel that you can likely park in your garage. Good luck on your truck hunt and let us all know your decision!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zinman View Post
    Powerscol has a real point when it comes to mileage (and torque) on the newer trucks that would be greatly appreciated. I had a 1999 7.3L F250 and it was a big upgrade from the prior generation of Superdutys. You commenting that your looking at one with a 7.3 tells me it is a significantly older truck. The venerable 7.3 has a good repair and longevity track record but even they wear out and if you looking for a long term keeper you may wish to look into one that is newer that will certainly have more torque and better gearing. With that said I have had 4 Superdutys and at each purchase torque and mileage was a significant factor for purchasing. Not having towed with a dually I cannot speak to that point but I do know you can tow a heck of a lot (13K 5th wheel) with great stability with a long bed single rear wheel that you can likely park in your garage. Good luck on your truck hunt and let us all know your decision!
    zinman

He is talking about the new 7.3 GAS Godzilla engine that Ford came out in 2020. it has way more hp then the 7.3 IDI had and is equivalent to my 6.0 Its a good choice for folks under 10,000 GVWR

On edit - Horsepower is 430 at 5500 rpm, with 475 pound-feet of torque cresting at 4000 rpm.
    Last edited by powerscol; 11-03-2020 at 10:27 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powerscol, my bad, as a devout diesel guy anytime I hear 7.3L my brain automatically interprets diesel. With that said I'd still go diesel just because of the torque.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast