User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Ouch! So basically about $1k for all 4. A disc brake kit from Performance Trailer Braking is $1885 not including labor. Hmmm....it might be actually cheaper to do the disc conversion in the long run if I go through new brakes every 2 or 3 years!
    https://performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes
    Yep. After looking at putting my own kit together, it was a better deal to buy the PTP kit when shipping was figured in and I also took advantage of their rally discount. I actually went with the 8K setup on my 7K axles because I wanted the beefier outer bearing so cost was a bit higher for that and a new set of lugnuts for the 9/16" wheel nut studs. Good ole GM pads you can get at any parts house!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much was the labor for the install of the brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yep. After looking at putting my own kit together, it was a better deal to buy the PTP kit when shipping was figured in and I also took advantage of their rally discount. I actually went with the 8K setup on my 7K axles because I wanted the beefier outer bearing so cost was a bit higher for that and a new set of lugnuts for the 9/16" wheel nut studs. Good ole GM pads you can get at any parts house!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much was the labor for the install of the brakes?
    Well, mine is priceless! I'm taking appointments! Lol.

PTB works with mobile installers that travel circuits around the US. I believe they charge $900 for full install, bleed, hookup, and test tow with you to bed and burnish. I know they do rally installs/discounts too. Also, at least one of the installers also works with MORryde and is a certified installer of their upgrade gear.

Outside that, one of members here from VA had a local trailer shop install the kit and they paid them a little over $700 if I remember right. YMMV

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.....so about $2800-2900 for the conversion vs $1k for a conventional drum brake job. I'm going to have to speak to my wife about this. Our Reflection is now 2 1/2 yrs old. I should at least get the brakes inspected.

Well, mine is priceless! I'm taking appointments! Lol.

PTB works with mobile installers that travel circuits around the US. I believe they charge $900 for full install, bleed, hookup, and test tow with you to bed and burnish. I know they do rally installs/discounts too. Also, at least one of the installers also works with MORryde and is a certified installer of their upgrade gear.

Outside that, one of members here from VA had a local trailer shop install the kit and they paid them a little over $700 if I remember right. YMMV

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.....so about $2800-2900 for the conversion vs $1k for a conventional drum brake job. I'm going to have to speak to my wife about this. Our Reflection is now 2 1/2 yrs old. I should at least get the brakes inspected.
    Sounds like a good plan. I truly believe all campers from 9K and up should be stock with disc brakes! Nonetheless, immediately after install, you know the money was well spent! Like you, I have a massive TV with big brakes and exhaust brake, but even so it's so much better with the discs. We had a sticky situation on the interstate a couple weeks ago in poor weather. I am 100% certain if we still had the drums I would not have been able to stop to avoid the car that lost control, but I hit the brakes so hard because there was no escape route with the traffic and we came to such a fast, straight stop that we were left incredulous!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having my brakes replaced by one of Performance's roving installers on the 30th, can't wait. They are charging $1000 for the install. I will also be replacing the Westlake tires (I have had 0 problems with them BTW) with some new G rated Sailuns.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know! Having to stop suddenly in an emergency situation is something I'm always keenly aware of while I'm towing. I've had a couple of close calls. Thank God our truck brakes are as stout as they are. But it would feel a whole lot more secure with disc brakes on the trailer, that's for sure.

Sounds like a good plan. I truly believe all campers from 9K and up should be stock with disc brakes! Nonetheless, immediately after install, you know the money was well spent! Like you, I have a massive TV with big brakes and exhaust brake, but even so it's so much better with the discs. We had a sticky situation on the interstate a couple weeks ago in poor weather. I am 100% certain if we still had the drums I would not have been able to stop to avoid the car that lost control, but I hit the brakes so hard because there was no escape route with the traffic and we came to such a fast, straight stop that we were left incredulous!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldTerry View Post
    I have 6000 miles on my 2018 Solitude. Per recommendation I have it in the shop right now getting the wheel bearings packed (every 2 years). Unfortunately the shop just called to tell me the brake pads are down to the bare metal and have warn into the hubs. I am very shocked by this. Do pads on these trailers really wear out that quickly? Seems very odd to me that this should happen after only 6000 miles, particularly since the pads are now so badly warn that even the hubs have been compromised.
    Not for nothing, but if it were me I would be taking a ride to the dealer to see for myself.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12