User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LA5ver

Maiden Voyage of the Titanic

We just got our 317RST the first part of February. We spent the rest of the month fitting it out and decided to head for southern Florida to avoid the cold snap we were supposed to get in lower Alabama yesterday, today and tomorrow. We made reservations at Salt Springs Recreation Area near Ocala for two days and at Sanctuary RV Resort in Bonita Springs for 10 days. After a late start from Foley AL on Monday we got to Marianna FL and spent the night. The next morning, we took showers and found that the shower door frame leaked and we had water running down into the entry area. "No problem, we'll just get some silicon sealer at Walmart.". We then headed out to Ocala for our next stop. When we got to the campground and get into our campsite "#37" (Only try this site if you are a trained professional which I am not), we found that the shower door had come loose and broke into a thousand pieces in the bedroom, kitchen and living room. "No problem, we'll get a shower curtain and some zip ties at Walmart". After cleaning that up and finish hooking up we find that the fresh water switch in the "City Water" position actually filled the fresh water tank and we found that when we set it to "Winterize" we got water to the faucets. Called Jerry at Grand Design and told him about the issues. We figured that these issues could wait till we go back so we sent him pictures of the shower door and contacted Johnny's RV in Theodore AL to expedite the pre-approval process. Don't know if that happened or not. 4 AM the next morning we hear a loud pop and hear water running. I go outside and find water pouring out of the bottom cover by the steps. I look and see water pouring down from somewhere in the bowels of the RV between the water tanks and all the rats nest of wiring behind the storage area. I turn off the city water and figure "No problem, We'll just use the water from the full fresh water tank we had inadvertently filled the day before". I turn on the water pump and it just runs and runs and not water anywhere. Tried all positions on the water switch to no avail. "Big problem". Go back to bed and lay there for 3 hours waiting for the sun to come up. Luckily I have a big roll of Gorilla tape so I taped the cover to the frame as well as I could and we headed back to Foley. Got back to Foley and put a ding in my truck trying to turn around in our cul-de-sac. We are taking the 317 back to the dealer with a list of 12 items that need to be taken care of. I hope they can turn it around fast so we can try the south Florida trip all over again. Even though they didn't have to, the folks as Sanctuary RV Resort were nice enough to refund our deposit. The worst part of the whole trip was when we left Ocala it was 85. by the time we got back to Foley, it was 41. 90 gallons for Diesel for nothing.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

james quinn
    and here I am ready to pull the trigger on a new trailer ! Silicone and Gorilla tape ... not a good way to start out with a new rig. Thinking, thinking, thinking ...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    OMG, so sorry to hear this story Mike! I can't help but wonder how so many of these rigs are near flawless and so many seem to have these litany of issues. Hey, I'm a GD fan boy but I think the owners need to re-watch their online video and take some immediate steps to improve quality control before all the buzz on this new company turns to sour grapes! Are we all going to need to send our rigs back to the factory like Jim to get them right? .... rhetorical question

I'm sorry if i offend anyone but it's just my 2 cents.

BTW, I seem to have very few major issues with our new 337RLS but we are leaving for a 3 week trip Tuesday and I must admit I'm crossing my fingers at this point.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff happens!! I hope Johny's gets you up and running right away
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I admire your resiliency. I too am having 2nd thoughts about Grand Design. The more I read about them the more I think they should be call Poor Design. They came out of the gate looking like the next best thing. But they seem on par with the rest. In the real world it's a crap shoot for any brand I suppose. I'm glad that GD follows this forum. Lots of brands (mine included) don't follow forums.
    At least GD seems to go the extra mile for customer service. I wonder if the current uptick in sales has caused the work force to be less competent. I know from working 30 years in the construction industry that when boom times hit, we needed to hire a lot more help. The pool of talent dwindled fast. JMO but that seems to be happening in Elkhart right now.

LA5ver
    Just found out from the Service Manager at Johnny's RV that, even though I sent pictures of the shower door to Grand Design, they would not start the pre-approval process and get the shower door sent until they had received shower door pictures from Johnny's. So what GD told me and what they told the dealer are two different things. The service manager was as astonished as I was that they wouldn't accept my pictures and had to wait for the pictures from Johnny's even though they told me my pictures would be fine. That will cost me a few extra days. The warranty person at Johnny's told me it will take around 3 days to get approval to do the work; another 7 to 10 days to get the parts from Grand Design, if the parts are in stock. If not, it could take an additional 3 weeks to get the parts from the OEM manufacturer. So it could be a month+ before I get my RV back. I am just glad I didn't decide to get the work done by one of the dealers in Florida. Or, maybe, I should have gotten the work done in Florida. At least it's warmer down there.

james quinn
    Clearly it's your fault for not Gorilla taping everything in place before you moved the trailer in the first place!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike & Peggy

Re: Hearing two different things from GDRV Cust. Svc. and you dealer's svc. dept

I don't know the first thing about your dealer, but can tell you from my own experience that it is an all too common tactic by dealer service departments to blame their warranty service delays on GDRV headquarters. My dealer, with whom I am generally satisfied, pulled the same story on me the first time I took my 337 RLS in for work.

I would recommend giving it a couple of days, check back with the dealer, and if they say they are still waiting on GDRV, then call GDRV Cust. Svc. and check it out.

Re your Maiden Voyage issues:
    Keep the faith. I was in (on) the same boat about 9 months ago. Wondering what would go wrong next. It all worked out.
    And I'm a happy camper now.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an 2015 GD379FL,,,,,,,,,we had 3 very little things wrong,,and only 1 was GD fault the other were the makers of the Refg, and TV,,all fixed ,,,,,,,WE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH OURS AND WE WOULD DO IT AGAIN,,,,,,,,Most people only post the bad things,,vary few will post the good things,,,,,,,,I think that if you could add up the numbers of rigs sold, then see what% are bad and what % are good,,I feel the good would be high,,,,JMTC
    Nelson & Susan
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    FT @ Orange Grove RV Park
    2015 GD379FL Solitude
    We Pull with 2016 RAM 3500 DRW, 4x4, 6.7 Cummins
    We are FTing and FT Work we have a few more years till we can travel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2015 Solitude 379. Been on the road since mid November, no problems to mention
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast