User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raising an old post out of sheer frustration. My 20K Gen 2 has been leaking air since day one. Horizon said that was normal. Manual says you should deflate and re-inflate once a year so not buying that. I had the older style hose type of pressure relief valve which has a small ball bearing that will pop if too much pressure. Horizon sent me a new style manifold which I installed prior to this long trip. Pulled out of a truck fuel stop in Ohio and heard a crash and saw pieces of the new manifold in the bed of the truck. Luckily, next overnight was two blocks away and I had brought the old manifold assembly with me. Lasted maybe 1200 miles?

Horizon was going to have a replacement sent to the Billings KOA so that I'd be able to replace the old one again when I arrived over a week or so later. Never sent.

So the next 6,000 miles through the Rockies prayed that the original one would stay mostly inflated - which it did until I got to North Carolina and pulled into our site. Bam - that one blew the ball bearing out and completely deflated the bag. The site was level (it's on an airfield) grass and no sharp turns.

Found a tractor trailer towing/repair place about a half hour away and they took my 1/4 OD hose, cut it, and put a DOT approved push to connect schrader valve on it so I could try an fill the bag. That worked and we made it from North Carolina to the AWFUL rte 78 and 222 in PA. It's still holding the same air but the noise coming from the GooseBox is now deafening with every turn or bump. The bolt through the shocks is straight but the zerk for the release shaft is surrounded by brand new red & tacky. No idea how the small amount I put on the ball (which is filthy in color) could have transformed to this.

This pinbox has been problematic since the day the dealer ordered it and it was shipped by Reese with the release pin installed 180 degrees out so that it couldn't sit on any ball.
    @geotex1 if you still have your Horizon contact and are willing to share I would greatly appreciate it. 500 miles to go on an 8,000 mile trip and I'll inspect it more closely tomorrow in the daylight to make sure it is safe to tow and nothing major is compromised.

Thanks,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Raising an old post out of sheer frustration. My 20K Gen 2 has been leaking air since day one. Horizon said that was normal. Manual says you should deflate and re-inflate once a year so not buying that. I had the older style hose type of pressure relief valve which has a small ball bearing that will pop if too much pressure. Horizon sent me a new style manifold which I installed prior to this long trip. Pulled out of a truck fuel stop in Ohio and heard a crash and saw pieces of the new manifold in the bed of the truck. Luckily, next overnight was two blocks away and I had brought the old manifold assembly with me. Lasted maybe 1200 miles?

Horizon was going to have a replacement sent to the Billings KOA so that I'd be able to replace the old one again when I arrived over a week or so later. Never sent.

So the next 6,000 miles through the Rockies prayed that the original one would stay mostly inflated - which it did until I got to North Carolina and pulled into our site. Bam - that one blew the ball bearing out and completely deflated the bag. The site was level (it's on an airfield) grass and no sharp turns.

Found a tractor trailer towing/repair place about a half hour away and they took my 1/4 OD hose, cut it, and put a DOT approved push to connect schrader valve on it so I could try an fill the bag. That worked and we made it from North Carolina to the AWFUL rte 78 and 222 in PA. It's still holding the same air but the noise coming from the GooseBox is now deafening with every turn or bump. The bolt through the shocks is straight but the zerk for the release shaft is surrounded by brand new red & tacky. No idea how the small amount I put on the ball (which is filthy in color) could have transformed to this.

This pinbox has been problematic since the day the dealer ordered it and it was shipped by Reese with the release pin installed 180 degrees out so that it couldn't sit on any ball.
    @geotex1 if you still have your Horizon contact and are willing to share I would greatly appreciate it. 500 miles to go on an 8,000 mile trip and I'll inspect it more closely tomorrow in the daylight to make sure it is safe to tow and nothing major is compromised.

Thanks,
    John
    I don’t know about the Gen 2 but my gen 1 has been fine since I plugged the pressure relief valve at the suggestion from reese. The guy I spoke with said the only reason it’s there is incase someone over fills it. All I do with it now is grease the pivot pin when it get noisy.

Not sure if that’s helps at all.

My Dad has a gen 3. Not a big fan of that one either.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ajg617
    FWIW I broke my Gen2 valve. So now I am running with just a Schrader valve screwed into the air bag and things are working fine.

I had some leaks at first but figured out pipe thread tape was causing the leak so switched back to Teflon tape.

And more fwiw.... I moved my filing point to the front top of the hitch and have a T connector with a TPMS Sensor so I can monitor the pressure while traveling (call me nerdy....).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2592.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	48354
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2591.jpg  
    Last edited by traveldawg; 09-28-2023 at 09:25 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @traveldawg, @JKellerJr,
    Maybe it just had a rough day - probably some of the worst roads I've traveled on. It was still aired up this morning, and a look see didn't show anything fundamentally problematic. It was aired up to 41psi - that sets the bar in the middle of the site hole. Not as noisy today which has me wondering if I'm putting too much grease on the ball? I also had a TST sensor on the line and it held pressure on really bad roads again today for 280 miles.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    @traveldawg, @JKellerJr,
    Maybe it just had a rough day - probably some of the worst roads I've traveled on. It was still aired up this morning, and a look see didn't show anything fundamentally problematic. It was aired up to 41psi - that sets the bar in the middle of the site hole. Not as noisy today which has me wondering if I'm putting too much grease on the ball? I also had a TST sensor on the line and it held pressure on really bad roads again today for 280 miles.
    I don't think you can put too much grease on the ball. Well....., maybe - but I think it would be an awful lot.

Anyway - glad things worked out for you.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I don't think you can put too much grease on the ball. Well....., maybe - but I think it would be an awful lot.

Anyway - glad things worked out for you.
    Thanks. Still going to pull it apart and put in a permanent fill in this winter. The TST sensor works pretty well and I have a T-fitting - just need a more permanent connection to the fill which is sealed with a compression o-ring seal.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123