User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPMS observations and practical experience

Just returned from a 8 day, 1200 + mile round trip with multiple stop overs. Started in central Florida with ambient day temps in the mid 80s to eastern Tennessee with morning temps in the upper 40s, and back thru NW Alabama, and home.
    New TPMS, a "Vesafe" system with 6 valve stem caps. One on each of the 4 trailer tires, one for the trailer spacer, one for the truck spare. System can be set up for nominal tire pressure (80 psi in my case) and has default parameters for over and under. Also reads tire temperature.
    "Calibration" with a manual dial reading gage and the sensors showed they both agreed (a good thing).
    First two days the readouts were good, all between 76 and 80, good temps.
    Start of the 3rd day, overnight temps were in the upper 40s, so tire check showed 10 psi low. I added air to all, getting them to 78 psi.
    However, on the road the monitor showed a high pressure warning after abut an hour on the road (expected). Reading was 85 psi. Puled over, let some air our of the 2 that gave a warning, then all was good for the day with ambient air temps in the mid 7os.
    Next 3 nights we sat in eastern Tenn with morning temp in low 50s when we left, Monitor showed mid 70s on the tires and I left them alone. As expected they heated up as we travelled but eventually 2 went to a high warning again at 85 psi. I silenced the alarm warning and trucked on.
    My "high speed" travel never exceeded 63 mph as that's where the truck and trailer seemed happy. much was at 55 and lower at times.

My question to the experts in TPMS and tires is: should I be too worried about this range of over pressure? 86 psi was the highest I saw on one tire.
    How about low pressure?

(I'm currently running the Westlakes and will eventually go Goodyear in the spring.)
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your high range is set too low. 20-25% above normal pressure is the standard setting. That’s 96-100psi for an 80psi base pressure.

You should set the tires at 80 in the morning and leave them alone. Adjusting the pressure hot can cause you to run with low pressure.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Your high range is set too low. 20-25% above normal pressure is the standard setting. That’s 96-100psi for an 80psi base pressure.

You should set the tires at 80 in the morning and leave them alone. Adjusting the pressure hot can cause you to run with low pressure.
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately the range is a default setting. I don't think I can change it but I can ignore it.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What he said. Our G rated tires which we set at 105 psi, will run 115 -120* depending on the ambient temp. The tires on the sun side will run a little hotter. This is all to be expected and accounted for by the tire manufacturer. I set them cold at 105 psi and leave them alone.

In your case I would set them at 75-80 psi depending on how heavy you are running. When we had our Imagine with E tires, I ran them at 80 psi, then set the TPMS parameter for 25% margin.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post

short reply ==> Ditto - what JK said....

longer reply ==> I'm in FL and we travel out west a lot. I hardly ever change the pressure even when it is "low" in the mornings even at high altitude & cooler temps. The tires warm quickly in a few miles and get back to where they should be. If we adjusted daily based on elevation and temperature we'd be chasing correct pressures constantly.

We attended a Freightliner chassis school some years ago and in the tire session it was recommended to set your temps at your elevation when the tires have been idle overnight and it is not extremely hot or cold and not change them when traveling unless they loose too much pressure for non-altitude/temperature reasons.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I found how to change the defaults and now they shouldn't give a high warning until they get to 96 psi.
    Thanks once again for the input.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately the range is a default setting. I don't think I can change it but I can ignore it.
    Paragraph 5-3 in the manual has instructions for setting the pressure alarms though the heading says temperature.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana