User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Panels for Solitide

Any thoughts about increasing the number of Solar Panels that are being offered as an option?
    Looking at the 310GK..................comments/advice are welcomed. .................................................. .thanks Diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory package is a joke and poorly executed. You will be better off doing it yourself aftermarket.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    The factory package is a joke and poorly executed. You will be better off doing it yourself aftermarket.
    Our factory solar is doing the job expected of it and the installation was actually rather well done. Maybe we got a "reverse lemon."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Our factory solar is doing the job expected of it and the installation was actually rather well done. Maybe we got a "reverse lemon."

Rob
    I am sure the quality of the install is acceptable, more so I take issue with what you got for the price. And the way the system is designed, expansion options are very limited.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be next spring/summer before we do anything but I have been thinking about solar. I am pretty sure my original batteries will be spent by that time after another winter of just one 2 week usage so it be a good time to do it.
    Are there good write-ups on what you need to be able to run 1 AC unit, along with the big drain appliances, for a unit like a 375RES? Like someone mentioned above I think the design of a system so it can be expanded as needed is critical.
    Thanks for any help in sorting this out!
    Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On all my RV's I have preferred to do the installs myself as in my experience the factory and/or dealer installs do a poor job in terms of maximizing efficiency and choice of components are not always the best choice. Not everyone has the electrical background to design and install a solar system, I understand that, in such cases it would be better to go to a quality solar installer.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttooley View Post
    It will be next spring/summer before we do anything but I have been thinking about solar. I am pretty sure my original batteries will be spent by that time after another winter of just one 2 week usage so it be a good time to do it.
    Are there good write-ups on what you need to be able to run 1 AC unit, along with the big drain appliances, for a unit like a 375RES? Like someone mentioned above I think the design of a system so it can be expanded as needed is critical.
    Thanks for any help in sorting this out!
    Running an AC for any extended period of time on a solar/inverter setup is not feasible. I have a $20k system I designed and installed myself very well and I can only run the AC for a handful of hours before I am low batteries unless I have absolutely perfect sun conditions (which happen for about 1-2 hours a year).

You have to think about it in a few ways:

-What am I trying to run, how much power do those require (dictates size of inverter)
    -How long do I want those things to be able to run, how low am I ok with my batteries going (dictates how large of a battery bank is needed)
    -How much total power do I plan to use in a day, how much do I need to recover using solar (dictates how much solar you need to recover energy used)

A good rule of thumb seems to be to plan on about 75% of the rated panel output for sizing. As an example, I have a 2880w array on my roof, I typically see around 1800-2200w of actual output for a couple hours during peak of the day. I get lower output before and after peak. I would say I was generally recovering 10-13 kWh of energy a day in the summer with my panels flat mounted and no shade. If I had the RV pointing E-W and tilted my panels towards the south I could improve that but I am in a high wind area so the tilting is not an option really.