User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Can you follow the output wires to see where they go?
    So we did follow the output wires and it is connected properly and appears to be working fine. It just was not enough juice when dry camping to help us out. We are still learning about solar and finding lots of articles to read.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my plan were dry camping with batteries, I would want 4 wet or AGM batteries or 2 lithium batteries at the min. I run a pair of DEKA group 27 wet lead acids, but they are only as a power backup in case power is lost. It would let my fridge keep my food cold for a couple days while the power was restored to a campsite.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, does the fridge run on propane or 12v only.
    Also, the furnace running should not kill the batt with a functional 165W solar setup, in my experience, unless it ran constantly.
    I would take inventory of all power draws to size the system better. At least 2 large batts at a minimum, depending...snow on the panels or parked in shade, forget it.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't the new trailers come with 12V-only compressor refrigerators? I have a feeling that's why GD added a factory solar panel.
    Do you have a voltmeter? Even a cheap Harbor Freight one? You should have a minimum of 13.5V on a sunny day if the solar is working.
    My setup is two 6V batteries, an upgraded converter, and my old Honda 2000 generator. I added 200W of portable solar panels that keep the batteries charged if I have a sunny campsite. I have a 180W inverter used to power the tv and Blue Ray player if we want to watch a movie.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a single 165W panel will do little or nothing for dry camping. This time of year in Virginia you might get 600WH out of it. If you're very judicious with your power usage you'll barely get by but if the fridge gets set to auto (as opposed to gas) you're about done. Similarly, running the furnace at night will draw the single battery down. if you're going to continue with solar you'll need to upgrade your solar generation (more panels) and storage (more batteries.) If your dealer was anything like mine, they install a small Interstate deep cycle battery. Understand when it comes to lead-acid batteries you can only draw them down to 50% SOC. So if it says 100AH, you can use 50AH. Repeated discharging below 50% will rapidly kill the battery. If you're going to stick with SLA then I'd consider getting the 6V gofl cart batteries (Sams Club always has them cheap) and buying 4 of them. (pay attention to weight BTW, it adds up quickly at will affect tongue / pin weight) With 4 of those, you can probably add an additional 200W of solar on the roof and stay balanced.

Again, realize your effective sun hours in most of the lower 48 is 4-5 a day unless you're in Phoenix (in the summer time) It's all about weather and target angle of the sun.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We boondock for over a week in Montana with two interstate batteries and a 100 w solar panel. Key is put your refer on propane, hot water heater on propane and dont use the force air heating for longer than 10-15 min to warm up coach. We had no issues with power. We use a honda generator 2200 for the wifes hair dryer and microwave. Otherwise we used a small solar generator for the tv and never had a power issue. Btw, we had several cloudy and rainy days. Be judicious on using heavy power draw items and u should be good with decent batteries

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SueBane View Post
    Just home from our first camping trip in our new Transcend Xplor 200MK. Camped at Big Meadows in the Shenandoah National Park. They do not have any hookups. Our battery ran down in one day. The 165 watt solar panel on top did not seem to do much to keep the battery charged. We were fortunate to meet some great folks in the campground and one of them took our battery and lent us a fully charged one while he recharged ours at his campsite with his battery charger connected to his generator.

Many discussions with this fine gentleman about what we need if we hope to dry camp again. He has suggested two 6 volt golf cart batteries, a battery recharger, and a generator as a minimum for dry camping.

We ran the furnace briefly (big drain on battery), refrigerator was on and off (and finally off when the battery got down really low), water pump as well. We did not use the lights much at all. Water heater is gas.

We had a good time anyway and learned a lot.
    We run 2 Trojan T-105 6 volt batteries, Online Battery Sale, $250 for the pair. Interstate batteries have failed me in truck and last 2 trailers. Will never purchase one again. Use this box...Camco Heavy Duty Double Battery Box with Straps and Hardware - Group GC2 | Safely Stores RV, Automotive, and Marine Batteries |Durable Anti-Corrosion Material | Measures 21.5" x 7.4" x 11.2" - (55374)
    Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC $17.99
    Forgot generator, Honda EU3000is, on a recent trip. Batteries lasted 3 1/2 nights with furnace running (was in the low 30's at night) used lights for several hours every night, did dishes, showered... Had to get up and start truck up at 4:30 in the morning on night 4 to keep furnace running. Had frost on windows of truck...brrr.
    We primarily boondock (dry camp) and use propane whenever possible. We run the generator for about half an hour in the morning to make coffee and charge the batteries with the trailers built-in 55 amp charger. We can last for several days doing this and keep the voltage up in the batteries. 2 Trojan T105's and a 1000 amp generator will be sufficient with an hour of run time each day. Although 1000 amps won't run AC. Your trailer has a built in charger if you plug into a generator (shore power). Adequate solar would cost a lot more than a decent mid-level generator.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Was wondering how this ended if it was user error or not setup properly? I saw some of the responses and there is no gas/propane setting on any of the xplor products. They are all 12v refs. This is the reason they come with solar panel. I am about to purchase an xplor trailer and wanted to know the conclusion of this issue.

thanks Art

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest a Westinghouse Cummins 4500 dual fuel ( propane and gas) generator for about 1/3 cost of Honda 3000. Great techno advance, Champion makes a good one also. Both are as quiet and well made as Honda’s by generator companies.

I would not buy cheap Costco Batteries. Do some reading on batteries. Lithium very efficient and very expensive. Advantage is unlike most AGM you can draw them down to 20% no penalty, they are light and charge quickly.

We have Oasis Firefly carbon foam AGM. Half the price of lithium, can also be drawn down to 20% with no penalty on number of cycles. Most wet cells and AGM should not be drawn down less than 50% so cut the ah reading which is how to compare batteries by 1/2.

You also need a good 3 stage charger vs the crap converter GD supplies you so you don’t ruin your batteries.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12