User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, as suggested by Jims94, could be propane. I would be shutting it off. It has the 'aroma' added to it for this very reason. You LP sensor should pick it up though if concentration gets high enough.
    I've never come across an arc situation that smelled like rotten eggs (usually smells like ozone or burned plastic) so I'm skeptical that it is actually in the receptacle, but I would still open it up and take a look.
    Unplug your trailer first!
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a mouse get accross the hot and neutral of a recept. and get fried. Did not know it until he got to smelling.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try turning off the breaker to the outlet where the smell is coming from. If the smell remains it's probably not bad or loose connection. If it goes away, then you know that you've got an electric issue of some kind. It may take quite a few hours to see if the smell changes.

We had a similar issue in our second home. The house was a fixer upper and I found that a mouse had gotten into one of the electric boxes in the wall and died. He chewed a hole in the plastic box and guess chewed on the wires and ......
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 10-28-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Try turning off the breaker to the outlet where the smell is coming from. If the smell remains it's probably not bad or loose connection. If it goes away, then you know that you've got an electric issue of some kind. It may take quite a few hours to see if the smell changes.
    As someone pointed out the burnt egg smell is not indicative of arcing. I've never smelled a burnt egg smell from arcing but one man's burnt egg smell may be another man's carbon or burnt plastic smell. Better safe than sorry as arcing can produce heat that is greater than the surface of the sun. I have smelled and seen some results from arcing at a 1200 amp disconnect and at the other end of the spectrum, a GFI outlet. I wouldn't count on the smell diminishing as a determining factor. Arcing can be intermittent but if you smell something "burning", a carbon odor or "hot" find out what it is. Don't forget about electronics such as TV's, stereos, etc.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the builder at the GD factory says: "Where did I leave my egg salad sandwich"?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    As someone pointed out the burnt egg smell is not indicative of arcing. I've never smelled a burnt egg smell from arcing but one man's burnt egg smell may be another man's carbon or burnt plastic smell. Better safe than sorry as arcing can produce heat that is greater than the surface of the sun. I have smelled and seen some results from arcing at a 1200 amp disconnect and at the other end of the spectrum, a GFI outlet. I wouldn't count on the smell diminishing as a determining factor. Arcing can be intermittent but if you smell something "burning", a carbon odor or "hot" find out what it is. Don't forget about electronics such as TV's, stereos, etc.
    I completely agree. But if the smell is isolated to only this outlet, I think I would at least open it up and check for obvious over heating of the wires or fried critters. If it persisted I would either turn off breaker, or if there are other devices on the circuit, disconnect and tape the wires at the outlet.

Sounds like you need to first eliminate any possible issue at the outlet, and if no improvement, then move on to other possibilities.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I have had that 'rotten egg' smell in my trailer was when I forgot to drain the water lines before storing.
    That spring I had to sanitize the system to get rid of it. Open the pressure valve on the water heater (when cold) and see if your smell is coming from there. If it is, it might be making it's way through the trailer and finding its way to that outlet opening. Like the other have said, I have never experienced and electrical issue smelling like rotten eggs.
    I have had a black tank vent plugged in our old trailer but that smell was a bit ....shall we say...different?

Please let us know when you discover the cause.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivipic View Post
    We have a 2017 26RL fifth wheel. There is an intermittent smell of rotten eggs coming out of a single electric outlet in our trailer. It is the one nearest to the circuit breaker box (right above it). Any ideas of what it could be? We don't want the trailer to catch fire, of course, and hope to allay our fears or solve it before we can get to a repair facility in a week.
    I have the same unit, and that receptacle pulled out from the wall. Behind the box is the vent from the toilet. To keep from screwing into the vent pipe the installer left one screw out. The reason it pulled from the wall! It's possible your receptacle box was screwed into the vent pipe and that is where your odor is coming from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought...if you have left water in the hot water heater for a while, it can create a bad sulfur type smell.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    I would check your battery. A battery that has boiled off water or has a crack /leak can release a rotten egg smell. The smell may be migrating from the battery area into where you are noticing it.
    I agree with this. Last Spring while we were in Florida I opened the front boot to get something and smelled rotten eggs. Investigation proved it was one of our two 12 volt batteries. It was hotter than a firecracker and could be heard boiling!!! I killed all 12 volt power, "carefully" disconnected it from the system, and got it out of the battery box...careful as in I didn't want to blow myself up! It smelled for days as it cooled down.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast