Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterization instructions don’t match water heater

The winterization instructions on the inside water heater panel don’t seem to match the actual setup of the water heater. It calls for moving a white valve to a closed position, putting a suction hose in a container of RV antifreeze and then turning the water pump on. Our water heater (on a 2020 Transcend Xplor 247) does not appear to have this white valve or a hose that can be put into an antifreeze container. It has a 3-valve bypass system. The instructions call for closing the hot and cold valves and closing the middle (mixer) valve. I did this after draining and venting the water heater completely.

Am I missing something with another valve and hose that can be used to draw antifreeze into the water heater? Link to photos of instructions inside the trailer/water heater inside cabinet and hot/middle/cold bypass system.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0FM9...nNLmGfANIsvrlg

Thank you.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunkhauser View Post
    The winterization instructions on the inside water heater panel don’t seem to match the actual setup of the water heater. It calls for moving a white valve to a closed position, putting a suction hose in a container of RV antifreeze and then turning the water pump on. Our water heater (on a 2020 Transcend Xplor 247) does not appear to have this white valve or a hose that can be put into an antifreeze container. It has a 3-valve bypass system. The instructions call for closing the hot and cold valves and closing the middle (mixer) valve. I did this after draining and venting the water heater completely.

Am I missing something with another valve and hose that can be used to draw antifreeze into the water heater? Link to photos of instructions inside the trailer/water heater inside cabinet and hot/middle/cold bypass system.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0FM9...nNLmGfANIsvrlg

Thank you.
    You don’t put antifreeze in the hot water tank, you simply drain it then set the valves to bypass it and draw the antifreeze into the trailer lines via the pump.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response. The instructions on the outside of the water heater inside panel included these references, so they appeared to be for the water heater. If not, I still don’t know where the other white valve and suction hose to draw antifreeze into the system can be located, but will take another look soon. Our trailer instructions just call for antifreeze in the kitchen and sink p-traps. I do this after draining the systems and using low pressure air to blow it out. Have a good one. Thanks.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response. The instructions on the outside of the water heater inside panel included these references, so they appeared to be for the water heater. If not, I still don’t know where the other white valve and suction hose to draw antifreeze into the system can be located, but will take another look soon. Our trailer instructions just call for antifreeze in the kitchen and sink p-traps. I do this after draining the systems and using low pressure air to blow it out. Have a good one. Thanks.
    If you anticipate any stretches of 24 hours or more of below freezing weather while your trailer is not being used/sits, unheated, you’ll want the antifreeze in there. The white hose is only a few feet long, and comes directly off your trailer’s pump. So, locate your pump and find the hose-probably nowhere near the water heater. Ours is bolted to the floor next to our furnace (similar to the picture you posted). Where the white hose is attached to the pump, there’s a small, black valve to switch the in-line pump action over to the white hose suction (I’m always forgetting to switch it back when I’m done). As the other poster said, you don’t want antifreeze going into the water heater. You’ll be ok if you make sure you close the two valves directly off the two openings from your water heater, then open the one valve where red/blue meet.
    Don’t forget any outside water ports you may have!
    Last edited by Houndbb; 10-25-2020 at 02:30 AM.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I will look for the valve and hose that can be used to draw antifreeze into the system (but not the water heater). I drained everything yesterday and blew it out with 30 psi yesterday before putting antifreeze in the sinks. I did close the hot and cold valves at the WH and open see the middle. Thank you both for your time to respond. We are expecting our first very cold night below 20’ this evening. - B

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I will look for the valve and hose that can be used to draw antifreeze into the system (but not the water heater). I drained everything yesterday and blew it out with 30 psi yesterday before putting antifreeze in the sinks. I did close the hot and cold valves at the WH and open see the middle. Thank you both for your time to respond. We are expecting our first very cold night below 20’ this evening. - B
    Did you drain the water heater (remove large drain plug/anode rod)? Very important, you don’t want it to freeze or you’ll be replacing it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thank you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just had to do this while in a campground, before driving into the forecast consistently below freezing temps here at home this week!

Yes, drain your water heater! On some models, just opening the low point valve will do it (before you flip the valves), or as noted removing the plastic plug or anode (depending on brand) will do the same - then doesn't matter whether valves are closed or not.
    The hose for antifreeze (and the single valve they refer to) is next to the water pump, which may be behind a removable panel (on mine, that means 8 screws and two trim strips in the pass through area). If nothing else, turn on the pump, open a faucet, and listen for the low hum it makes to find out where it is hidden. Then look for how to get at it....
    On mine, the hose end has a screw in plastic plug. The fitting it screws into is too big to fit in a jug! I used a mat knife to trim down the "wings" on the fitting, so it would fit. I presume the end is made to be plugged to prevent antifreeze from siphoning back into the compartment after removal from the jug...

Don't forget to run the antifreeze through any outside shower fittings, and into the low point drains, too.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)