Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Replacement Procedure

I just took possession of a 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE this past week. So far, we love it. I thought everything was perfect, until I started reading about the Westlake Tires. I think I want to change to Goodyear Endurance that everyone raves about. My question is, how do you jack up the trailer to take all four tires to the dealer? I read somewhere not to support the trailer on the axle tube. Do you jack it up on the frame next to the tire, take two at a time in, or what? I hate to mess up a brand new trailer.

Thanks,

Randy

Update: I just saw a u-tube video of a guy who just took his entire 5th wheel to a shop and they were replacing all four tires. They had 4 jacks on the axle tube next to each tire. Is that ok?
    Last edited by Randy3911; 10-25-2020 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added information

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

A jack or jack stand on the axle as close to the outside as possible is ok. I have a combination jack stand/jack and I always put the saddle of it between the u bolts. I wouldn't move much closer to the center, thats when you can potentially bend the axle. Lifting the trailer by the frame is usually difficult because of the height from the ground. Some shops frequently do trailers, might be worth calling some and asking their expierance of changing trailer tires and how they jack it up. If it sounds fishy to you, go somewhere else or just bring them the tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I have some jack stands but I may just take the TT to the shop and let them do it. Also, I hear the Goodyear Endurance ST tire is a good one. I looked them up and they are only $526.00 + tax for four drive out price. I figured they would be more $$$.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve jacked under the frame rail next to where the suspension shackles are. I. Use jack stands for extra stability out near the stabilizers, with most if not all of the weight on the jacks. LCI has an info sheet on this.

On the topics of Westlakes, I have not heard of any issues on the smaller Imagines or any of the XLS line. If you know of any, please let me know. The trailers smaller than the 2600RB all seem to have D rated 15” tires with adequate load characteristics. I do not know what the tires are on the XLS line, are they 14” D rated? The issues I had heard of were on larger units with under engineered tires for the possible/likely loads carried, IMO.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of replacing mine with a set of Goodyear Endurance tires as well on our XLS. However, I've seen some in YouTube that are upgrading to a load 'D" to load "E". But means they go up from a ST205/75/15 to a ST225/75/15. I only have 14" wheels so I don't have that option unless I spend the extra money in getting a set of 15" alloys. But is that all worth while doing this on these lightweight XLS. Plus we are only weekenders for now and not going more than 250km or more on a round trip to go camping. Any thoughts?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an XLS and my tires are ST205/75R14. I'm going with the Goodyear Endurance, getting 4+spare tomorrow.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IROCQUE View Post
    I was thinking of replacing mine with a set of Goodyear Endurance tires as well on our XLS. However, I've seen some in YouTube that are upgrading to a load 'D" to load "E". But means they go up from a ST205/75/15 to a ST225/75/15. I only have 14" wheels so I don't have that option unless I spend the extra money in getting a set of 15" alloys. But is that all worth while doing this on these lightweight XLS. Plus we are only weekenders for now and not going more than 250km or more on a round trip to go camping. Any thoughts?
    FWIW, I think you are just fine, Watch the pressure, inspect them when you get a chance and stay within the speed rating. In other words, same as you would for any tire. My Goodyear store, great people, advised me to keep my Westlakes for another couple of years as they looked really good for a tire with 10,000km. I did have him balance them. For a trailer under 6500 pounds, the D Westlakes are fine IMO.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking to see if anyone has a proven procedure for lifting enough to change out 2 tires at a time? I tried lifting at the frame and just can't get the height needed (safely in my opinion) to clear 2 tires. Many talk about lifting at the ubolts but that only lifts one tire at a time, I am assuming you put jack stands further inboard and move jack?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    I would like to replace all 4 west lakes on my Solitude 3740. I really don’t want to take it to a RV dealership for this. Does anyone have a good method to remove all 4 tires. Maybe only 2 at a time? Where should I place the jack. On the axles or the Frames?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCRICHRI View Post
    Hi all,
    I would like to replace all 4 west lakes on my Solitude 3740. I really don’t want to take it to a RV dealership for this. Does anyone have a good method to remove all 4 tires. Maybe only 2 at a time? Where should I place the jack. On the axles or the Frames?
    Thanks
    The RV dealerships I know of do not do tires. So before you take the tires off you better figure out where you are going to get the new ones. Also, be sure the ones you want are available. Reports have it, including this forum, that the Goodyear Endurance Load Range E are in short supply or are not available at all. As for jacking, I took mine to Discount Tire and they did a great job. I watched them like a hawk and made sure they balanced them but they did great.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast