User Tag List

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto level Ram dually. WDH or not?

I'm prepping for the arrival of our 31G toy hauler in a month or so. We ended up buying a '17 Ram 3500 dually 6.7 turbo with auto level after ordering the trailer. I'm guessing that I won't need the weight distributing feature with the dually auto leveling but should I be running one anyway just for the sway control? I've been pulling trailers for 40+ years and understand the principles of tongue weight etc... I'll use the Cat scales of course. I also have the Sherline tongue weight scale to use at home.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with the Ram so can't comment on it's specific towing capacity, but I do know that having an auto-level system is not the same as having a weight distributing hitch. The auto level system will reduce squat on the back of the truck while still carrying the same amount of weight on the rear axle, and will still lift weight off of the front axle. It will not redistribute any of the trailer tongue weight to the front axle like a WD hitch setup will.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, LBZ Duramax
    B&W Turnover Ball with 4" offset

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder550 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Ram so can't comment on it's specific towing capacity, but I do know that having an auto-level system is not the same as having a weight distributing hitch. The auto level system will reduce squat on the back of the truck while still carrying the same amount of weight on the rear axle, and will still lift weight off of the front axle. It will not redistribute any of the trailer tongue weight to the front axle like a WD hitch setup will.
    Yes exactly. Not familiar with the model "31G", ie is it a 5th wheel or bumper pull? With a 5th wheel there is no need for a weight distribution hitch and as far as I know, such a device is not available where as with a bumper pull a weight distribution hitch is essential. As for your Ram, we have one with the auto level and with our Solitude and with quite a bit of weight loaded in the bed of the truck, when I activate the factory auto level always indicates it is "lowering to achieve ride height", where as with the large 3-slide truck camper we had prior to our Solitude it always indicated "raising to achieve ride height". I have found the auto level feature to benefit to have with bumper pull, 5th wheel and a truck camper.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Yes exactly. Not familiar with the model "31G", ie is it a 5th wheel or bumper pull? With a 5th wheel there is no need for a weight distribution hitch and as far as I know, such a device is not available where as with a bumper pull a weight distribution hitch is essential. As for your Ram, we have one with the auto level and with our Solitude and with quite a bit of weight loaded in the bed of the truck, when I activate the factory auto level always indicates it is "lowering to achieve ride height", where as with the large 3-slide truck camper we had prior to our Solitude it always indicated "raising to achieve ride height". I have found the auto level feature to benefit to have with bumper pull, 5th wheel and a truck camper.
    Thanks guys. The 31G is the new 36' bumper pull toy hauler. 12k GVWR. Listed hitch weight is 1600 but we've ordered the generator and will be adding a couple of batteries so expecting more. My confusion was if the truck autolevels then what? Every WDH hitch I've ever had previously raised the rear when adjusted properly. Doesn't seem that would be necessary or even a good thing if the truck already compensated.
    Last edited by TerryH; 10-26-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Thanks guys. The 31G is the new 36' bumper pull toy hauler. 12k GVWR. Listed hitch weight is 1600 but we've ordered the generator and will be adding a couple of batteries so expecting more. My confusion was if the truck autolevels then what? Every WDH hitch I've ever had previously raised the rear when adjusted properly. Doesn't seem that would be necessary or even a good thing if the truck already compensated.
    When you have a bumper pull trailer connected behind the rear axle, the rear axle becomes a pivot point or fulcrum for the truck. Picture your truck as a see-saw with the rear axle being the pivot point. Apply weight to one side, and the other raises. Same thing is happening to your truck, weight on the trailer hitch essentially pivots the truck around the rear axle, and causes the front to raise a little bit. Doesn't matter if you change the spacing between the axle and frame, which is what airbags do, the mechanics are the same. Push down on on the hitch, and the front wants to raise.

Now let's talk about a wheelbarrow. When the wheelbarrow is sitting on the ground static, there is weight on the front tire and weight on the rear legs. When you lift the wheelbarrow from the handles, the weight that was sitting on the rear legs transfers partially to you, and partially to the front wheel. Now picture your truck as the wheelbarrow....rear legs are the rear axle on your truck, front tire is the front axle on your truck, and the wheelbarrow handles are the spring bars on the WD hitch. When you tighten the spring bars, you are "lifting the wheelbarrow" and redistributing the weight from the rear axle (rear legs on wheelbarrow) to the front axle (front tire on wheelbarrow) and trailer axles (your feet as you carry the wheelbarrow handles). This reduced weight on the rear axle of your truck is what causes the rear end to raise.

So...bottom line...you may get the same appearance of a level truck whether you are running air bags or a WD hitch, but the way the total weight is distributed across the trailer axles, truck rear axle, and truck front axle are very different.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, LBZ Duramax
    B&W Turnover Ball with 4" offset

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You WILL have to determine what suspension mode you will regularly tow in and YOU WILL have to set up the WDH on the scales because you cannot use reference heights with the Auto Level.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You WILL have to determine what suspension mode you will regularly tow in and YOU WILL have to set up the WDH on the scales because you cannot use reference heights with the Auto Level.
    Unless there is something I am missing, the auto level on the dually doesn't have modes like the full air suspension on the 1500's and 2500's do. Auto level is on the rear axle only and it truly automatic. The only way for the truck not to auto level is to have it in jacking mode but once you reach 5 mph it automatically disables jacking and reverts back to full auto so the truck is going to go to normal ride height on it's own. There is an alternate trailer setting button on the dash but that only lowers the rear 1" to theoretically make the truck level and is inoperable unless there is adequate weight on the truck. Thus my confusion on how to set the WDH.
    Last edited by TerryH; 10-26-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Unless there is something I am missing, the auto level on the dually doesn't have modes like the full air suspension on the 1500's and 2500's do. Auto level is on the rear axle only and it truly automatic. The only way for the truck not to auto level is to have it in jacking mode but once you reach 5 mph it automatically disables jacking and reverts back to full auto so the truck is going to go to normal ride height on it's own. There is an alternate trailer setting button on the dash but that only lowers the rear 1" to theoretically make the truck level and is inoperable unless there is adequate weight on the truck. Thus my confusion on how to set the WDH.
    You then have the system similar to my 2015. With your tongue weight, you're beyond a Class V without WDH. So your only choice is to set it up on the scales via trial and error.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You then have the system similar to my 2015. With your tongue weight, you're beyond a Class V without WDH. So your only choice is to set it up on the scales via trial and error.
    Thanks. Will do.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X