User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

23bhe Master Bedroom freezing

Just picked up our trailer Wednesday. Just been camping in yard. First cold night and master is freezing. I know their are other threads on this, but no real solutions. I installed a louvre in bathroom already leading up to last night. There's such a force of heat there and no push to other vents.

Are there only three vents? Should I call grand design Monday?
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the other vents? The furnace is under the bottom bunk i think, have you lifted the bed to make sure all the pipes are connected to the furnace unit? The bath vent is really close to the furnace and might need a damper to get airflow from the other vent, wherever they are.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mentioned you installed a louvre in the bathroom, does it close all the way? I put one in our 23BHE that closes all the way, which did a pretty good job of moving the air to the vent under the dining booth and to the bedroom. I'm not sure of the specs on the heater, in terms of how much flow it requires, but I would consider putting a louvre on the one in the dining area as well, maybe not shutting all the way. It might be good to ask GD if the furnace blower can be tampered down like that. PLEASE let me know what they say if you get ahold of someone who knows. Of course, check and make sure everything is connected properly, it's nice to take the time to figure out how to get into all the areas of your trailer anyways.

While you're poking around, make sure to check any visible plumbing connections (if you have water in the system and have it under pressure). I found a leak in the threaded connection on the backside of the exterior port, the one right by the outdoor kitchen setup. I was suspecting a leak because throughout the night, when everyone was asleep, I would hear the pump kick on for a second every hour or so. That led me to believe that it was losing pressure somewhere. But, since all the faucets were dry, I knew it had to be hidden. Luckily, I found it in a fairly accessible location, behind the same panel you take off to get to the water heater bypass valves.

Anyways, sorry for the long post and rabbit trail.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More on this here...https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...283#post329283

I did some calculations and its no wonder its bad. Here is my latest post.

My dealer is going to call me back after talking to the rep and trying some adhoc fix. Been waiting 2 weeks.

So I ran some tests on CFM and temp. My CFM calculations might be slightly off, but you can use this as a comparison.
    Bath - 60CFM
    Living Room - 46CFM
    Master Bedroom - 34CFM

So that's pretty bad, but temp numbers are horrific for Master Bath:
    Note: The furnace cycles the flame so below is are ranges
    Bath - 112.6F - 137.7F
    Living Room - 102.2F - 129.6F
    Master Bedroom - 80F-92.4F

Now if you're thinking maybe there is a problem there is. You cannot possibly heat the master bedroom with 90 degree or less air temperature. Not unless you have a lot of air moving...we aren't even close.

Keep in mind wall temperatures I tested using a laser are about 59F at 8pm after a 55F Outdoor Temp day. By morning, they will plummet. Floor temp is 55F.

There is no way it can keep up.

GD, come on. We need to fix this. I bought this RV because it was claimed to work thru 4 seasons.
    Last edited by looknow12; 11-16-2020 at 06:04 PM.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any update for this?
    Hows the AC?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
    More on this here...https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...283#post329283

I did some calculations and its no wonder its bad. Here is my latest post.

My dealer is going to call me back after talking to the rep and trying some adhoc fix. Been waiting 2 weeks.

So I ran some tests on CFM and temp. My CFM calculations might be slightly off, but you can use this as a comparison.
    Bath - 60CFM
    Living Room - 46CFM
    Master Bedroom - 34CFM

So that's pretty bad, but temp numbers are horrific for Master Bath:
    Note: The furnace cycles the flame so below is are ranges
    Bath - 112.6F - 137.7F
    Living Room - 102.2F - 129.6F
    Master Bedroom - 80F-92.4F

Now if you're thinking maybe there is a problem there is. You cannot possibly heat the master bedroom with 90 degree or less air temperature. Not unless you have a lot of air moving...we aren't even close.

Keep in mind wall temperatures I tested using a laser are about 59F at 8pm after a 55F Outdoor Temp day. By morning, they will plummet. Floor temp is 55F.

There is no way it can keep up.

GD, come on. We need to fix this. I bought this RV because it was claimed to work thru 4 seasons.
    Very interesting post. Never measured CFM, but my temp readings are the reverse of yours, in that MBR is warmest, two vents in kitchen/LR cooler than MBR, bath is coolest of all of them with very little airflow. The MBR and one kitchen/LR vent are within 2 feet of the furnace and are the warmest/most air flow. The LR vent, about 6 feet from furnace, is cooler than the MBR vent with noticeably less air flow. The bath is the coolest and least airflow of all, and is about 15 feet from the furnace. I always just assumed the longer runs are the coolest/least airflow as there is no way to fine tune the system without dampers.
    Judy & Larry
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Very interesting post. Never measured CFM, but my temp readings are the reverse of yours, in that MBR is warmest, two vents in kitchen/LR cooler than MBR, bath is coolest of all of them with very little airflow. The MBR and one kitchen/LR vent are within 2 feet of the furnace and are the warmest/most air flow. The LR vent, about 6 feet from furnace, is cooler than the MBR vent with noticeably less air flow. The bath is the coolest and least airflow of all, and is about 15 feet from the furnace. I always just assumed the longer runs are the coolest/least airflow as there is no way to fine tune the system without dampers.
    To be clear, your trailer is the 2150RB, and not a 23BHE correct?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelnate View Post
    To be clear, your trailer is the 2150RB, and not a 23BHE correct?
    Yes, I have a 2150RB. I guess the point I was making is the farther you get from the heat source the airflow will be cooler with less volume. Is your furnace in the rear by the bath? As I recall the BH models, the bath is often next to the bunks.
    Another thing is the run of the ducts under the floor to “heat” the tanks and dump valves might be shared with the longest run, in your case the MBR.
    Judy & Larry

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the bath, bunks, and heater are all at the hind end of the trailer, so it is a very long run for the heat to reach the bedroom.