User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To cover or not to cover

This has surely been asked many times, but in the owner's manuel it recommend's that the AC be covered in the winter to protect it from snow, ,that it. And not to let the snow accumulate. What is the consensus on this forum about winter covers for trailers?
    I have a 21BHE.
    Thank you

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt cover mine last year and it sat next to the house for a winter in Idaho. I think we averaged over 50" of snow for the season and all my ACs worked fine afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say cover you trailer. We live in Colorado and there are a number of good reasons we do it. We have both intense UV at this altitude and a lot of freeze thaw shock. The UV is really hard on the graphics and no friend to your roof. The expansion/contraction caused by the freeze/thaw cycles is really hard on caulk too. Makes it stretch, contract & release. A good quality full rv cover will stop the UV in off season and protect the roof. I've always had some caulk failures issues each year and most of this damage is done in the Winter. If it's covered, you'll likely not get leaks. Uncover it when the season begins and take a good look at all of your caulk joints and replace/supplement as required. It's not all about the A/C unit. Hope this helps.
    Mike & Donna McGee
    2016 Imagine 2500RL
    2017 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not had a winter issue. Spring time I did have a bird that decided it was a great nesting site.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    This has surely been asked many times, but in the owner's manuel it recommend's that the AC be covered in the winter to protect it from snow, ,that it. And not to let the snow accumulate. What is the consensus on this forum about winter covers for trailers?
    I have a 21BHE.
    Thank you
    Well, we don't get much snow here in Southern California. We bought a cover for our rig, but it's never been out of the box (3 years later). The reality is they don't last all that long (think 3-4 seasons max) and the wind-driven flapping sides/connectors can damage the exterior of the rig. Added in is the fact at our advanced age, we're not enamored of climbing up and down on the rig multiple times at the start and end of each trip/season to get the silly thing on.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have owned many rvs and live in Canada. I have never covered my trailers or Ac units. Occasionally I will knock the drifts off the awnings but that is the only thing I do
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the first two years, I quit using a cover. First of all, putting a cover on a 42 ft. fifth wheel is no easy job and being a bit on the older side, I don't really like working at heights anymore. Secondly, we really don't get a lot of weather here. We have very little precipitation of any kind, and a heavy snow only every few years. We do, however, get a fair bit of wind and the cover, though well secured rubbed through the finish in several places. I have seen no adverse results from not covering for the last three winters.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion. Trailer covers cause more damage than they prevent.
    My trailers commonly have 2 -3 feet of snow on them in the winter. Doesn't seem to cause an issue.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    The negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion. Trailer covers cause more damage than they prevent.
    My trailers commonly have 2 -3 feet of snow on them in the winter. Doesn't seem to cause an issue.
    Agree. They can easily handle my 200 lb per sq ft so a couple feet of snow is not an issue. And believe me we see our share of snow
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4877997B-DF1F-441C-8118-C6DF17B1D4DA.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	768.9 KB