User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. This is the last post to this thread. I now have brakes and no intermittent connection. The next thread will be how my wheel came off while towing.

I had help from a Dexter parts retailer tracking down the backing plate which came with the brake linings, magnet and all the other hardware attached. Dexter customer service couldn't locate the parts and Grand Design CS just passed me on to Dexter.

Anyhow, having all the parts and gathering the necessary tools, like brass drift punches, and other supplies like grease and brake cleaner I replaced the backing plate, bearing races and inner and outer bearings. Between youtube videos, by Dexter and ETrailer, and a post by CoChris which had step by step instructions, the job went pretty well. It took me about 2 and 1/2 hours. Removing and replacing the races was probably the most time consuming. In CoChris' post he suggests having a professional do this if you don't feel comfortable with it. I wish I could have found a professional available to do this. This was a first for me. I'm back on the road. Thanks Rob and Chris.

The attached pictures are parts, all of them covered in grease, that just fell off when I removed the brake hub. Notice the magnet had completely disconnected. The springs were mangled. I swear I never heard a sound that would have alerted me to a problem until the intermittent connection to the truck started happening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2089.jpeg   IMG_2090.jpeg   IMG_2092.jpeg  
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 351M
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW CC 8 ft bed, B&W Companion hitch
    2018 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra
    2019 KTM 790 Adventure

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NFurno View Post
    Okay. This is the last post to this thread. I now have brakes and no intermittent connection. The next thread will be how my wheel came off while towing.

I'm back on the road. Thanks Rob and Chris.
    I am glad you got it fixed and are back on the road .... and you now know a lot more about the hub and brakes on your trailer!

Happy trails

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NFurno View Post

I had help from a Dexter parts retailer tracking down the backing plate which came with the brake linings, magnet and all the other hardware attached. Dexter customer service couldn't locate the parts and Grand Design CS just passed me on to Dexter.

Anyhow, having all the parts and gathering the necessary tools, like brass drift punches, and other supplies like grease and brake cleaner I replaced the backing plate, bearing races and inner and outer bearings. Between youtube videos, by Dexter and ETrailer, and a post by CoChris which had step by step instructions, the job went pretty well. It took me about 2 and 1/2 hours. Removing and replacing the races was probably the most time consuming. In CoChris' post he suggests having a professional do this if you don't feel comfortable with it. I wish I could have found a professional available to do this. This was a first for me. I'm back on the road. Thanks Rob and Chris.

The attached pictures are parts, all of them covered in grease, that just fell off when I removed the brake hub. Notice the magnet had completely disconnected. The springs were mangled. I swear I never heard a sound that would have alerted me to a problem until the intermittent connection to the truck started happening.
    Awesome! Nothing more rewarding than learning to DIY and have it be a success! Even better, you drove the races out! I cannot even remember the last time I did. I invested in a 20 ton press frame a long time ago... lol! Well done, sir!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had the same problem on three different occasions. The first time RV repair shops swore the problem was the truck, the 7 pin, the box, etc., etc. and, of course, charged me to replace a bunch of things that were fine. After learning the hard way I now have the wiring inside the drum checked first. All three times the wires there were chafing or the wheel bearing grease had leaked, causing the brakes to cut in and out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123