Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterization in the NW - Portland OR

So it's starting to get cooler in the Portland OR area and I'm looking at my first winterizing of 2019 315 RLTS. Since we only experience 1-2 (at the most) cold weeks I was thinking of only blowing out the lines and not adding antifreeze to the water lines. The trailer is under a covered area and I plan to have a small heater or dehumidifier running since the the site has power.
    Is this appropriate for an area that does not get cold? Love to hear from other Northwest GD owners.
    Gary and Nita
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ram 2500 Laramie, 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    Auto Level Suspension,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yey from the PNW. live in central Oregon (Redmond) and agree this is the time to winterize. Having just come back from a coast trip (Seaside & Pacific City) a few repair issues have popped up. So until these are addressed (electric water heater being one of them) under warranty all I have done so far is drained everything of water including the water heater. I don't know if they need to fill the water heater to test it. So I thought it best to leave things empty and not fill with ant-freeze. That presents a question-if the pipes are free of water =nothing to freeze does adding antifreeze make any difference. When back from the dealer (unless I discover differently) I intend to add antifreeze as I bought it some time ago.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SNye45 View Post
    .... So I thought it best to leave things empty and not fill with ant-freeze. That presents a question-if the pipes are free of water =nothing to freeze does adding antifreeze make any difference. When back from the dealer (unless I discover differently) I intend to add antifreeze as I bought it some time ago.
    The problem, in my experience, is the line are never free of water. Most of the water is out, but not all of it. Water will pool in a low point or in a valve. If it is plastic line, it can probably handle some freezing. If it is a hard valve or pump body, it will probably break. I have personally blown out all my line (I thought very thoroughly), then done some plumbing work and been surprised at the amount of water remaing in the lines, valves and the pump.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 10-25-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did mine last week, blew out lines, added antifreeze, 2 gal, cheap insurance.
    Drain your water heater also.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper