User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MORYDE CRE3000 failure?

Today, as I was prepping my 5th wheel for winter storage, I was adding grease to the system when the upper grease point nipple fell off. It looks as if the nipple sheared off, which blew me away! I’ve actually never seen this happen before.

A couple questions:
    1) is the system safe to drive with the nipple missing?
    2) would a catastrophic event happen if I were to tow the 5th wheel to get this fixed

Attached are pictures for reference
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E9BA855B-B250-46D8-98B7-FA7366E76FBE.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	30378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAEA11F4-FBF7-4AB3-B6DA-5DB7CC897521.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	30379

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EFF48418-2EFC-4ACC-9E26-E8EEB5E5E720.jpg  
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would call Morryde, they can probably send you a new wet bolt. If the repair is beyond your skillset, and want to take it somewhere, I dont think the sheared zerk fitting would cause a catastrophic event or even any further damage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt you have any safety issues driving. You have good clean grease in place, so in my opinion you are fine. I would fix that as soon as you get home though. I would not drive it that way for an extended time, few days, or maybe a few weeks max before you fix it.

I would check it at all stops to make sure there is no intrusion of contaminants.

Good luck!
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEFveteran View Post
    A couple questions:
    1) is the system safe to drive with the nipple missing?
    2) would a catastrophic event happen if I were to tow the 5th wheel to get this fixed

In my opinion, there is no danger of mechanical (catostrophic) failure. You can tow it just fine with the broken zerk fitting. The only "danger" is you will get dirt (contaminates) in the grease and this can (over a longer period of time) cause the bushing to wear out faster. In the pictures, the grease looks fresh, clean and full. I would tow it wherever you need and then just wipe down the surface until the zerk and/or bolt is fixed.

The Zerk fittings are generally threaded into the end of the bolt. You can use an EZout (brand name and also type of tool - available on line and at any decent hardware store) to remove the remains of the old fitting and screw in an new one. No need to jack up the trailer and remove the entire bolt unless you want to. If you are a handy with tools (or have a friend/neighbor that is) this is an easy job. If you are not comfortable doing this, any mechanical service center (RV, car, truck, etc) should be able to easily handle this. Zerk fitting are available at most (all?) automotive parts stores. One thing to note: There are a couple of different thread sizes used, so when you get it out, take the old threaded portion (that is inside the bolt) with you to match the thread size and pitch.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The title is so not fitting of this thread! Nothing is wrong with the CRE300. You just broke a zerk from a wet bolt.

Zerks break all the time... I have an assortment of SAE and metric sizes as they're pretty inexpensive and when zerks break, it's always after the parts house is closed! Wet bolts of this diameters only use two sizes - 1/4" x 28 or M6 x 1. ACE Hardware, Tractor Supply, NAPA auto parts, etc. will stock them.

You should be able to turn the broken piece out pretty easily without using an EZ-out. A hex key that is just a little larger than the ID - lightly tap it in and the turn counterclockwise, or if you have a punch set that'll work too. EZ-out will of course work.

You just broke it, so there's nothing in it to contaminate. Keep it that way with a little spot of plumber's putty, duct tape, chewing gum (not kidding, it'll work) till you get a new zerk.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania