User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing from a 14 inch wheel to 15 inch tire

I've been hearing a lot buzz of people upgrading from their Westlake tires to Goodyear Endurance tires which is very common. I was wondering if you heard anyone upgrading from a 14 inch wheel to a 15 inch wheel in order to move from a load "D" 8 ply tire to a load "E" 10 ply tire as there isn't much options for a 14 inch tire. My question is will this effect an increase in payload GVWR as a 15 inch tire will be much heavier than a 14 inch tire? Is this worth the trouble or necessary or should I just stick with a 14 inch wheel upgrading to the Endurance tire? Any thoughts is much appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200517_125439[1].jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	30399
    Last edited by IROCQUE; 10-25-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 RST 6.2 liter max trailer pkg.
    Fastway Trunnion E2 2-Point Sway Control Hitch
    Markham, Ontario Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GVWR is determined by the manufacturer. Nothing you can do will change it.

Changing tire sizes is about tire diameter and clearance on your trailer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing you change on a vehicle - including RVs - after the manufacturer puts the official sticker on it will change GVWR or CCC. It's a legality thing. You may gain some reliability by putting a better tire on your trailer. The issue with increasing the outside diameter of a tire on an RV is clearance to the underside of the trailer when the RV is loaded and the wheel is at the upper end of its travel range (spring compression). If there's not enough clearance, damage will occur to both the tire and the trailer. You can take some measurements and use this calculator to look at the differences in outside diameter of various tires:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks. I just going to stick with the original wheel/tire size and just upgrade to the Goodyear Endurances. Looking at the prices of the 15 inch trailer alloys and they are pretty pricey. Checked the same style Grand Design alloys which are from Lionshead wheels but in the 15 inch size both in the eTrailer and Recstuff websites, not cheap.
    Markham, Ontario Canada

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed from a 14" to a 15" on my bumper pull to be able to get a tire with a much larger margin compared to what is available in a 14". Clearance was not an issue, it was a simple change that gave me a great deal more confidence in my tires and not blowing unexpectedly. I got the wheels on Amazon and they were much better looking than the factory aluminum wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200229_132231.jpg  
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    I changed from a 14" to a 15" on my bumper pull to be able to get a tire with a much larger margin compared to what is available in a 14". Clearance was not an issue, it was a simple change that gave me a great deal more confidence in my tires and not blowing unexpectedly. I got the wheels on Amazon and they were much better looking than the factory aluminum wheels.
    That's a great looking wheel. Yes that was my intentions as well. I see a lot of clearance between the trailer and the wheel in fact it looks like a 16' wheel can do the trick. But I'll stick with 15 inch. Agreed, there some good looking wheels that are better than the stock ones.

15 inch wheel for the trailer.docx
    Markham, Ontario Canada