User Tag List

Thread: Momentum 21G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 21G

Hello Everyone,

We just put a deposit on a new Momentum 21G. Besides bikes and kayaks, we aren't planning on hauling any "toys." We love the G21 for its space and versatility.

We are now reconsidering our tow vehicle. We have a 2015 Suburban with the tow package (I'm not well versed on the specifics, but I believe it has an integrated break system and air suspension). We can supposedly tow 8000 lb. We aren't new to towing--we were towing a 2000 K-Z sportsman that weighed around 5300 lb. This seemed plenty heavy to me.

Although I'd be sad to depart with our Suburban, I'm thinking we would be we might be wise to trade it in for a 3/4 ton truck. My husband thinks the Suburban would work just fine with some modifications. He would get different tires and a heftier air suspension. He's mentioned changing the axle. I've read up a bit on the topic, and I'm concerned about the heavy tongue weight on the G21. We live in Michigan and are planning on taking a trip out to Utah in the spring.

I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Thank you!
    Stefanie

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

I think you have the correct spidey sensors alarming. Those Momentum TTs are heavy in the tounge. There is nothing you can do to your tow vehicle to 'legally' increase its towing capability. If you're looking for 3/4 ton trucks, you should also look at 1 ton trucks. Very similar in price and unloaded ride, but you'll get about 1000lbs more payload capacity. If you get the gas option it will have even more capacity due to the lighter engine. Either truck you get should be safer for stopping the trailer as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you--I appreciate the response. Yes, I'm nervous about pushing our vehicle to the max. I don't think I'd enjoy our trips as much (even though I'm not usually the one who is driving). We aren't in a position where we can keep our Suburban and get a truck, so it looks like it might be time to trade it in. Either that or change our deposit to a smaller camper--I like the BH2400 too.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    Thank you--I appreciate the response. Yes, I'm nervous about pushing our vehicle to the max. I don't think I'd enjoy our trips as much (even though I'm not usually the one who is driving). We aren't in a position where we can keep our Suburban and get a truck, so it looks like it might be time to trade it in. Either that or change our deposit to a smaller camper--I like the BH2400 too.
    Don't settle for your 2nd choice trailer.
    Get the trailer you want. Go up on your TV. As FT4NOW said the cost of a 1 ton over a 3/4
    is offset by much more towing capability.
    Welcome and Enjoy:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go straight to a 1 ton diesel. The TW on the momentum will overload the Burb.
    If you fill the fresh water tank then thats 850 lbs added. Not sure where the fresh is located as to how that will affect the loads.
    A 1 ton diesel will allow you to haul the TH and anything else without worrying about being overloaded along with giving much better handling than the Burb ever will. You'll also pick up 3-4 more mpg's which will make it much easier on longer trips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a 2020 G21 and pulled it a hand full of times with my 2019 1500 Chevy High Country with a 6.2 which I also installed air bags for towing. Adding any additional weight via water or toys in the back made it to squirrelly for me.

Transmission was running around 250 on the High Country and the wind would push around the front-end making hard to stay in my lane.

Purchased a 2021 F350 6.7L in March of 2022 and towing the G21 with 4 seater general, 30 Gal of gas, 100 Gal of Fresh water doesn't even come close to pulling the G21 empty with the High Country while still getting 14.1 MPG over 2500 miles.

Get the 1 Ton!!!!
    Travis & Shannon
    2020 Momentum G21
    2021 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design lists the dry weight of the 21G as 6400 lbs with a 920 lb tongue weight. I'd say it would really be pushing the Suburban in both overall weight and tongue weight by the time it's loaded and ready to camp. Especially so if you are going to carry fresh water. All these Momentum travel trailer style toyhaulers really need a 2500 at minimum. We tow our 31G with a 1 ton Ram Cummins dually and are very glad to have it as a tow vehicle.
    Last edited by TerryH; 07-07-2022 at 01:49 PM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 21G, the build sheet was 7450lbs and 1070lbs tongue weight when it left the factory.
    2021 Momentum 21G
    2020 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gas