Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walkie options?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walkie options?

Afternoon everyone. I am looking for suggestions on walkie options. Usually my wife and I call each other on our cell phones and put it on speakerphone to communicate while we are backing up the trailer. However, on our last trip there was no cell services (so nice) and so we resorted to yelling and hand signals...not ideal.

My experience with walkies so far has always required you to "press to talk," but as I am backing up I don't want to "press to talk" I want a speakerphone (basically).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raife1 View Post
    Afternoon everyone. I am looking for suggestions on walkie options. Usually my wife and I call each other on our cell phones and put it on speakerphone to communicate while we are backing up the trailer. However, on our last trip there was no cell services (so nice) and so we resorted to yelling and hand signals...not ideal.

My experience with walkies so far has always required you to "press to talk," but as I am backing up I don't want to "press to talk" I want a speakerphone (basically).

Thank you.
    We have walkie talkies, but don't use them for the back up/in process. I'm usually outside the truck (front right corner by open passenger window, where my husband can see me). My job is to keep an eye on the right hand side of the rig as he backs up/into a site. I don't say anything unless he's running out of room. Of course this is when he's backing to the left. He's responsible for keeping an eye on the left side. Once lined up so as not to hit anything on either side, I move to the the rear left corner and, using hand signals, tell him to "keep coming" or "stop".

Now, for those times we have to back to the right, I'm on the right side, and he watches the left in the side mirror.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.
    We use the Midland GXT as shown here on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/GXT1000VP4-Ch...fix=gxt&sr=8-3

These have VOX setting which makes them voice activated not requiring push to talk. Operate the same as a speakerphone.

We ALWAYS use them when my wife is being a spotter. I do t think there is a hand signal for you are about to hit a tree with the roof.

They also have the added benefit of a weather band.

Edit: These are GRMS band so you are supposed to register with the FCC. Fill out an online form and pay your money.
    Last edited by OurNewEra; 10-25-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a pair of Motorola FRS/GMRS two-way radios that we sometimes use for this purpose. I usually don't need to talk, so I just leave the radio on in the cab and listen to my wife's instructions (she's really good at it). In the rare event I need to ask a question or something, I stop the truck, pick up the radio and talk. No big deal.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 10-26-2020 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Correct a typo
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Midland T75 radios for backing up. It has voice activated feature, but we don't use it. I very rarely say anything, and ask my wife to keep talking constantly. She is either telling me driver, passenger, straight or stop for which direction the camper needs to go.

If she's always talking I know we still have communication. One time my battery died and I didn't realize it and she thought i was ignoring her and I ended up running over a small deck I made at our semi-permanent spot when we had one. If I hear her stop talking, I will immediately stop backing up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We have walkie talkies, but don't use them for the back up/in process. I'm usually outside the truck (front right corner by open passenger window, where my husband can see me). My job is to keep an eye on the right hand side of the rig as he backs up/into a site. I don't say anything unless he's running out of room. Of course this is when he's backing to the left. He's responsible for keeping an eye on the left side. Once lined up so as not to hit anything on either side, I move to the the rear left corner and, using hand signals, tell him to "keep coming" or "stop".

Now, for those times we have to back to the right, I'm on the right side, and he watches the left in the side mirror.
    Will you marry me?!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have a pair of Motorola FRS/GMRS two-way radios that we sometimes use for this purpose. I usually don't need to talk, so I just leave the radio on in the cab and listen to my wife's instructions (she's really good at it). In the rare even I need to ask a question or something, I stop the truck, pick up the radio and talk. No big deal.

Rob
    This is what my wife and I do as well. Though we have a lot more back and forth over the radio sometimes. I’m also perfectly willing to get out and look at what is going on when the need arises.
    Steve & Katey
    Full time since 07/01/2022
    2020 Ford F-350 DRW (5361 payload)
    2024 Solitude 390RK (FBP and Morryde IS from factory)
    2018 Reflection 337RLS (Still got it!)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.
    We too use the two way radios that we have had for more than 15 years. My wife does the talking and I do the listening. If I have to reply or ask any questions I come to a stand still and then press the "talk" button. Another function these radios serve for us is to check our rear lights on the trailer after we hook the pigtail up to the pull truck. My wife confirms brake, blinkers, and all marker lights are working before we move.

We have had many persons at campsites marvel over the fact we communicate via radios and not the yelling and hand gesture route.

This works for us and we always recommend it to any other RVer as a must have by our book.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa61 View Post
    Another function these radios serve for us is to check our rear lights on the trailer after we hook the pigtail up to the pull truck. My wife confirms brake, blinkers, and all marker lights are working before we move.
    While that is better than some, who check nothing before they pull out, I am a truck driver from way-back. When you have 10,000 gallons of gasoline on your back, you don’t leave anything to chance or anyone else to check.

I make two trips around the rig, before it moves. My wife sits behind the wheel and runs the switches, and I visually check everything. The first trip around she has the left turn signals on, as well as the high beams. I start at the front and do a close-up view of everything. Lights, tires, trailer hook-up, lock position on all doors, etc.

Once that go-around is complete, as I come to the front for the second trip, she turns off the high beams, turns on the fog lights and changes to the left turn signals. That trip, for me, is a “big picture” overview. I go around and review everything from a distance and make sure that everything looks good, including lights, overhead clearance for the route out of the spot, slides/awnings are tight, etc.

We also make it a habit to never hook/unhook in the dark, planning ahead so that we leave/arrive in daylight hours.

In over 30 years of RVing, we have not had a problem.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our system, and it works well for us. I do the backing in and pulling out, she can if we have or need to. While backing into our spot. I get out first and we decide how we want the rig set up in the spot for slide outs, tables etc. then she guides and watches every move I make to insure we don't hit anything. she is in full view of me at all times. if i cannot see her, i stop until she gets back in sight. periodically she will switch sides as needed and i can hear her. We have done this in the dark also, but only because we had to. Our pot at home has plenty of room, but a little tight getting into because of the swing, so we get plenty of practice. This way we don't worry about phones, radios etc. eye to eye contact and able to hear each other is important. That's us, Good Luck, Stay Safe ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast