User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the B&W companion and it is a great way to go. Granted, my truck already had the gooseneck opening in the bed of the truck. It was a no brainer at that point. It has also been good for a few laughs when people see the 4 very small bolts that hold the pads onto the legs and say, "is that all that holds the hitch to the truck?". I just can't pass up coming up with some crazy answer and seeing how much they will believe.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    I have the B&W companion and it is a great way to go. Granted, my truck already had the gooseneck opening in the bed of the truck. It was a no brainer at that point. It has also been good for a few laughs when people see the 4 very small bolts that hold the pads onto the legs and say, "is that all that holds the hitch to the truck?". I just can't pass up coming up with some crazy answer and seeing how much they will believe.
    Any idea what position to use for the a long bed truck with this hitch? I have it now, but I'm not sure how far forward or back to adjust its position.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lorend - I get the same questions. I tell them the weight holds it all in place so only the screws are needed.

Cenerus - i’ll Check my bolt hole settings and let you know tomorrow. Also, instead of taking mine apart when I need my whole bed, I bought a engine hoist from Tractor Supply.

Ed
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a B&W turnover in my '15 GMC 3500 Dually. pretty straight foward install. I ran the companion 5th wheel hitch for the last 6 months pulling my Momentum 399 and loved it. Just bought a new '20 truck with the puck system other wise I would have continued using it. My camping buddy has a Demco slider on the ford puck system in his F-250 shortbed and was always jealous he liked the B&W so much better for hitching up.
    ~ Chris & Sarah
    2018 Momemtum 399th
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenerus View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm purchasing a Reflection 303RLS. I'm moving up from an imagine 2600RB to a 5th wheel for the first time.
    In preparation for the 303RLS arrival I'm purchasing a 5th wheel hitch.
    My tow vehicle is a 2020 Silverado 3500 LTZ long bed SRW Tubo-Diesel that DID NOT come with the factory tow prep. The truck was an amazing deal, so I forgave not having the tow prep pucks.

I don't need a sliding hitch seeing as a have an 8' bed. I DO want the 303RLS to sit nice and level behind the 2020 Silverado 3500.

After doing some research I'm leaning toward B&W hitches, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I get the B&W Patriot and have rails installed. OR Should I get the B&W Gooseball and a B&W Companion?

2. Is the Companion better than the Patriot?

3. Lastly, does it make sense the cost of getting the B&W gooseball and the companion would be nearly $1,000 more expensive than the Patriot with rails?

4. Any recommendations that are different from the B&W hitch that might be a better idea for a newbie such as myself.

I know these are a lot of questions, and I'm grateful to anyone who can take the time to help a 5th wheel newbie out.

Cheers
    Can the dealer add the prep and puck system? If so it opens up your hitch selection. I have the Reese R20 Titan (rail mounted) and love it, but the B&W is highly recommended. With he long bed no need for the slider.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfever View Post
    Lorend - I get the same questions. I tell them the weight holds it all in place so only the screws are needed.

Cenerus - i’ll Check my bolt hole settings and let you know tomorrow. Also, instead of taking mine apart when I need my whole bed, I bought a engine hoist from Tractor Supply.

Ed
    Thanks Dawgfever. Also, do you get much chucking with your setup? I just brought the trailer home and it chucked a lot on the drive. I had it loaded with gear that I transferred from my old trailer, so it's not empty. Any thoughts on the chucking?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cenerus - If I do it correctly, the picture of my hitch bolt positions should be attached. In my F-350 LWB, the center pin on the B&W plate is over my axle. This puts the front of the trailer pin about 2" behind the axle. Hitches good, truck only squats a few inches but I have never measured since it is a non-issue. 5'ver is a 2017 107MKS, which after 3 years Wifey has probably loaded a couple of thousand pounds in it. I need to get weighed for sure.

As far as chucking, it depends on the road. The day we bought it in Shreveport/Bossier City we headed east for home. For the first 3 miles East on I-20, I thought the back end of the truck was going to be pulled off. But after we got on a better portion of the interstate, it is a non-issue. I started a thread a few years back about that portion of I-20 for others to comment on other roads they hated. Apparently there are lots . Later as I was on a work related trip west, there was a wreck on the Red River bridge on I-20, tying up traffic for a long time. I was stopped directly over one of the concrete sections that has dropped on one end. There is about a 2 -3 drop on each section, and there are many sections along that portion of I-20.

Good Road = Good Pull.

Regards,
    Ed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&W Hitch.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	30617
    Last edited by D2Reid; 11-12-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Thumbnails deleted as requested.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dawgfever, those pictures are great!

My hitch is positioned as far forward toward the front of the truck as it will go. For some reason the installer thought that was a good place. It doesn't seem to affect clearance with the front of the truck thanks to the 8' truck bed. But it does bring the front of the trailer close to the bumper of the truck, but I measured and tested it and I still have clearance for tight turns.

Thanks for the info on your experience with chucking. It sounds like this is just physics and road conditions, so I'm not so concerned about that anymore. it really helps to hear from others about their experiences with these hitches.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123