User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W Hitch Question

Hey folks,

I'm purchasing a Reflection 303RLS. I'm moving up from an imagine 2600RB to a 5th wheel for the first time.
    In preparation for the 303RLS arrival I'm purchasing a 5th wheel hitch.
    My tow vehicle is a 2020 Silverado 3500 LTZ long bed SRW Tubo-Diesel that DID NOT come with the factory tow prep. The truck was an amazing deal, so I forgave not having the tow prep pucks.

I don't need a sliding hitch seeing as a have an 8' bed. I DO want the 303RLS to sit nice and level behind the 2020 Silverado 3500.

After doing some research I'm leaning toward B&W hitches, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I get the B&W Patriot and have rails installed. OR Should I get the B&W Gooseball and a B&W Companion?

2. Is the Companion better than the Patriot?

3. Lastly, does it make sense the cost of getting the B&W gooseball and the companion would be nearly $1,000 more expensive than the Patriot with rails?

4. Any recommendations that are different from the B&W hitch that might be a better idea for a newbie such as myself.

I know these are a lot of questions, and I'm grateful to anyone who can take the time to help a 5th wheel newbie out.

Cheers

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenerus View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm purchasing a Reflection 303RLS. I'm moving up from an imagine 2600RB to a 5th wheel for the first time.
    In preparation for the 303RLS arrival I'm purchasing a 5th wheel hitch.
    My tow vehicle is a 2020 Silverado 3500 LTZ long bed SRW Tubo-Diesel that DID NOT come with the factory tow prep. The truck was an amazing deal, so I forgave not having the tow prep pucks.

I don't need a sliding hitch seeing as a have an 8' bed. I DO want the 303RLS to sit nice and level behind the 2020 Silverado 3500.

After doing some research I'm leaning toward B&W hitches, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I get the B&W Patriot and have rails installed. OR Should I get the B&W Gooseball and a B&W Companion?

2. Is the Companion better than the Patriot?

3. Lastly, does it make sense the cost of getting the B&W gooseball and the companion would be nearly $1,000 more expensive than the Patriot with rails?

4. Any recommendations that are different from the B&W hitch that might be a better idea for a newbie such as myself.

I know these are a lot of questions, and I'm grateful to anyone who can take the time to help a 5th wheel newbie out.

Cheers
    I am fairly new to 5th wheels as well.
    I have the puck system, and I went with the 25k Companion

From what I gather, it is a little more HD than the Patriot. Mainly in the jaw area. The Patriot has 3/4" thick jaws and the Companion has 1" thick jaws.
    I like it, but I really have nothing else to compare it to.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a Reflection 303, I don't think it would make any difference for you in terms of towing. The main advantage of the Companion would be the fact that you wouldn't have rails in the bed when you remove the hitch if you ever use the truck for something else.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely go for the goose ball option as well. It's nice to have a flat truck bed if you need it for actual truck type stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO/IME, rails are a negative but they will be your cheaper install. Another option perhaps is doing the goose ball and running a Reese Goosebox.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys think it makes sense for the B&W turnover gooseball under the companion to add another $900 to the cost?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys think it makes sense for the B&W turnover gooseball under the companion to add another $900 to the cost?
    Sounds a little high. You can get the hardware for the turnover ball for a little under $500. $400 seems high to me for labor. One of my coworkers installed one, he said it was fairly easy, he took the bed off the truck to do it.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Sounds a little high. You can get the hardware for the turnover ball for a little under $500. $400 seems high to me for labor. One of my coworkers installed one, he said it was fairly easy, he took the bed off the truck to do it.

That is a pretty good number actually. It takes about 3 hours to install with 2 pairs of hands, so considering typical hour shop rates...

I prefer towing goose, so that always gets my vote!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a couple of youtube videos of how to install the turnover gooseball hitch on my type of truck. It's doable, but I think it would take me 8-10 hours. Part of me wants to do it myself because I watched other videos of how installers screw up the install and it made me sick to see how half-assed these hitch installers are. If I could find an installer I trust to not do a sloppy job, I'd be fine with the extra cost given that it's not trivial amount of work.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a couple of youtube videos of how to install the turnover gooseball hitch on my type of truck. It's doable, but I think it would take me 8-10 hours. Part of me wants to do it myself because I watched other videos of how installers screw up the install and it made me sick to see how half-assed these hitch installers are. If I could find an installer I trust to not do a sloppy job, I'd be fine with the extra cost given that it's not trivial amount of work.
    I installed a B&W turnover gooseball hitch in my RAM 2500. It took me about 2 hours by myself. I got creative with ratchet straps to hold the hitch suspended to get bolts installed but finally made my wife help for like 10 minutes to get it secured. I have the offset ball and a Reese Goosebox on my 31MB. It is a great setup and has great turning clearance with my shortbox. Plus virtually no chucking because of the gooseneck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast