User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Burning plastic smell when i ran the fridge on propane

So i went to start the fridge on propane to verify it is working....within 30 seconds it smelled of burning abs. I shut it down, opened up the back panel. I could not see active flame but it smelled. I noticed the propane lines are also leaning right against the hot metal tubes in the back too. Man, it was scary. I could not see anything in the path of the burner, but maybe i am not sure what i am looking for. The only reason I could identify the smell was my time 3D printing things and plastic welding.

Can someone with a 303rls snap a picture inside their lower fridge access on the outside that has a dual fuel fridge?

Thanks!
    2021 GD Reflection 303rls
    2019 ram 2500 Crew Cab tradesman 4x4
    Autoslider 5th wheel hitch.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your rig may be part of the current safety recall to tie the lines back and open some air gap. Check with your dealer or Grand Design Customer Service. Have your VIN ready.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Your rig may be part of the current safety recall to tie the lines back and open some air gap. Check with your dealer or Grand Design Customer Service. Have your VIN ready.
    This^^!!. And in the meantime, get the propane line away from the burner and rig some way to keep it there until the recall can be addressed. Be safe!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustUs&doggo View Post
    So i went to start the fridge on propane to verify it is working....within 30 seconds it smelled of burning abs. I shut it down, opened up the back panel. I could not see active flame but it smelled. I noticed the propane lines are also leaning right against the hot metal tubes in the back too. Man, it was scary. I could not see anything in the path of the burner, but maybe i am not sure what i am looking for. The only reason I could identify the smell was my time 3D printing things and plastic welding.
    Definitely get the propane line issue fixed ASAP but another possible cause; our brand new Solitude had the 12V line that feeds reefer and the lights above the range installed in such a way that the slack wire was pressing against the reefer chimney. Shorted out when the insulation melted through. Caused the same burning plastic smell.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: went out to take pictures for GD customer service and wouldn't you know it, the hoses had moved. So I took the hose and twisted and it moved within the connection. Turned on propane and leak tested with soapy water....still no leaks. So the connection used is a swivel connection that can move during travel. Keep an eye on them folks. I am still going to follow up with GD and see if we can add a p style bracket to secure the hoses better.

I looked up the chimney with a camera and couldn't see anything touching so I lit off the propane side again...still got a little smell....but this time the drain pan had half a fill of water...maybe it is getting hot. We will see.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    2021 GD Reflection 303rls
    2019 ram 2500 Crew Cab tradesman 4x4
    Autoslider 5th wheel hitch.