User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5er vs TT ??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5er vs TT ??

Yesterday I put the following (in red) on a Facebook page for Forest River products looking for the logic behind saying one type of RV is an upgrade or downgrade over another. I really wasn't looking for advice on what I should buy but just trying to learn about what (and why) others consider one is better than the other. As usual, there were a few responses that were somewhat snobbish with 5er owners sort of acting like theirs is the best and always and upgrade from a TT. For the most part though, folks were putting some thought into it but with more of them thinking I wanted advice on what to buy. There were also a lot of responses saying it's a personal choice. I get that, so I guess I should have indicated I'm neutral right now, but then asked what are the pros & cons associated with each type. In the end, I did get a lot of good thoughts about the good, the bad & the ugly on both sides of the fence. So, What are the logical comparisons involved here on a Grand Designs page? And again, I'm not seeking purchase advice, just looking for the logic and more importantly, the pros and cons. Thoughts from those who have owned both would be especially valuable. TIA.

I just saw a post on another page about someone saying they had gone from a 5th wheel to a TT in a larger size than the 5er. I don't recall what page; it could have even been here. My curiosity was piqued about some saying it was a downgrade. But is it really or does it come down to what works for the individual? I'm really trying to keep an open mind about what to buy about this time next year so thoughtful input is really appreciated here.

If this is in the wrong location, I understand it may get moved.
    those who say "I can't", will always be right

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think it's a matter of preference, tow vehicle capability and type of camping.

I have owned both and dont regard one better than another, just different.

TT:
    Frees up bed space in the truck for large items like bikes, kayaks, firewood, generator, extra water, etc.

Easier learning curve when backing up (steering wheel input is more responsive than a 5th wheel)

Shorter height if you are concerned with low clearances, especially if camping in forest areas.

Typically lighter weight which gives more options for tow vehicle.

Trailer follows the same wheel path as tow vehicle which is good for places with tight turns, useful in some boondocking areas.

5th wheel:
    More stable when towing, especially in the wind.

Taller inside, feels less cramped.

Usually has a larger refrigerator and dry food storage.

Usually has larger holding and fresh water tanks.

Some have the option of on board generator.

More basement and interior storage options.

Some of the bigger ones will have more A/Cs.

In some cases, can sleep more people.

Some floor plans will have an extra half bath in addition to the main bath.

More floor plans available with washer/dryer hookups.

I listed advantages of both, you could come up with your own disadvantages as opposite of the things I listed. Hope this helps. I dont consider a 5th wheel an upgrade, just different. I wouldn't be against going back to a TT for the right floor plan and available storage areas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a very complicated answer that can be swayed by both technical fact and personal choice. So, it is going to be very relative to individual owner. Also, either can be fitted out very generic and economically or as luxurious as you're willing to pay. I personally see our 5er as an upgrade over our TTs because of the size - living area, living volume, storage, and the incredibly large bathroom, much heavier frame, superior hitch/tow, and similar from that vantage. Definitely, more home away from home than all of our campers before (PUs, HTT, and TTs).
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t go near Facebook, for some of the reasons that you mention. But that would be whole different post, and we don’t need to go there.

We have a fifth-wheel. We started, many years ago, with a travel trailer. I don’t even think that fifth-wheels had been designed yet. Since that is what we were familiar with, that’s what we started looking at. I also thought that I wanted a travel trailer so that the truck bed would be clear for “stuff”. With that mindset, I wasn’t even interested in looking at a fifth-wheel. We had pretty much settled on a travel trailer that was just over 30’ long, and would also need to pick out a truck to pull it.

We put the trailer first, then the truck, as we didn’t want to be limited to what a truck could handle, and we knew that we would be needing to purchase both.

My dear wife had mentioned looking at fifth-wheels several times, but I was stubborn and “knew” what I wanted. I was talking to a friend at work one day, letting him know what I had decided on. He said that the scariest time of his life was when he was towing a longer travel trailer down the freeway and was passed by a 53’ semi. He said that he nearly lost control, as there had also been some cross-wind that he was fighting. He said that he traded in the travel trailer, got the same length fifth-wheel and never looked back.

At that point, I decided to humor my wife, and we “took a look” at fifth wheels. We were at an RV show, and could review and compare both. I never realized how much storage there was in a fifth-wheel, both in the front compartment and in the pass-through, just behind it. Coupled with the cabinet room inside, I decided that the truck bed was no longer a good excuse for excluding a fifth-wheel from our search. Another plus was the shorter overall length of the units when towing. Moving the front of the trailer up over the axle of the truck, in my opinion, makes for a much more maneuverable setup, that is also shorter overall. It is also more stable and you don’t end up with the “tail wagging the dog” problem.

After checking out several units, I was convinced that my dear wife had, once again, been right all along. We focused our search on fifth-wheels from that time on, and settled on what we have today. I don’t think that we could be happier with our choice.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different floorplans/layout/etc, but fundamentally, there are some differences to keep in mind. First off, there's no "hitch length" in a 5th wheel, a 40ft 5'er is going to have a lot more room in it than a 40ft TT because all 40 ft is usable space. Also, you'll be a lot longer overall towing a 40ft TT vs a 40ft 5er because all 40ft is behind the truck rather than over the truck. 5'ers simply "tow better", they are a more stable way to connect a trailer to a truck and, because they put more weight on the pin, you can get more stuff in the 5er for the same amount/size of axles.

Overall, if you have the truck for it, a 5er is more pros than cons. What are the cons? Well, if you're on a really rough road with a 5er, or uneven road, you can hit the truck to the nose. That's ugly, and, if you're planning, for example, to camp on BLM land, no way I'd want to do that in a 5er. You need enough truck for a 5er, as soon as you get "big" your into 350 territory, often dually territory with many 5ers. That said, I see people towing big TT's all the time with trucks I'd never CONSIDER using to tow them; they can do it legally because the TT puts less weight on the truck, but safely? Not in my book, if you're towing anything 40ft long, regardless of pin/hitch weight, you really should consider a dually for the stability, even if you don't need the carrying capacity.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what's being said above... I'll add one other point that hasn't been mentioned. While we full-time in a fifth wheel, we have owned a travel trailer (before going full-time). I'm in my late 60s and Laura is a bit younger. We're both still in good shape - ride bikes, hike, try to keep up with the grandkids. A lot of the folks we know in the Escapees RV Club are older and/or are having some mobility issues. In a fifth wheel, once you get up the entrance stairs, you still have to negotiate another set of stairs to the to the bedroom or front living room (whatever is in the gooseneck area). In a travel trailer, everything is on the same level. We came to appreciate this fact when Laura had foot surgery the year after we started full-timing and knee surgery a couple of years after that. She got pretty good at the "boot-scoot" on the stairs, but a travel trailer would have made it easier.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTx View Post
    Yesterday I put the following (in red) on a Facebook page for Forest River products looking for the logic behind saying one type of RV is an upgrade or downgrade over another. I really wasn't looking for advice on what I should buy but just trying to learn about what (and why) others consider one is better than the other. As usual, there were a few responses that were somewhat snobbish with 5er owners sort of acting like theirs is the best and always and upgrade from a TT. For the most part though, folks were putting some thought into it but with more of them thinking I wanted advice on what to buy. There were also a lot of responses saying it's a personal choice. I get that, so I guess I should have indicated I'm neutral right now, but then asked what are the pros & cons associated with each type. In the end, I did get a lot of good thoughts about the good, the bad & the ugly on both sides of the fence. So, What are the logical comparisons involved here on a Grand Designs page? And again, I'm not seeking purchase advice, just looking for the logic and more importantly, the pros and cons. Thoughts from those who have owned both would be especially valuable. TIA.

I just saw a post on another page about someone saying they had gone from a 5th wheel to a TT in a larger size than the 5er. I don't recall what page; it could have even been here. My curiosity was piqued about some saying it was a downgrade. But is it really or does it come down to what works for the individual? I'm really trying to keep an open mind about what to buy about this time next year so thoughtful input is really appreciated here.

Everything said by others above is true.
    Like "Second Chance" there are other considerations.
    We chose a TT because of height. Our driveway is long and overhung with trees.
    Also, we like to travel 2 lane highways and it is amazing how many lower hanging limbs there are.
    To me, there is no right or wrong. Get the trailer that suits your family and lifestyle.
    Enjoy:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone summed it up pretty good. We have been in both and for me ,The hitching process is SO much easier with a 5th wheel than the TT. For that reason alone I'd be hesitant to go back to a TT. But that is the only reason I can think of between the 2.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTx View Post

We’ve owned both I agree with FT4NOW and here are a few more thoughts.

Cost. The tt option is less expensive if cost us a consideration.

I found the tt easier to back but the 5er is more stable when pulling.

Hooking-up. I found the tt a little harder to hook-up... but not bad.

Connect. The tt is lower to the ground thus connections (water/sewer) are a little harder to make. Especially if your older.

Clearance. I currently have a 5er and have experience a few low bridges and had to reroute my trip.

Like others, I don’t feel one is an upgrade over the other. It’s just a matter of what fits your style, cost and preference. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp weekend warrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had both, but maybe not a great comparison since we went from a 19ft TT to a 36ft 5th Wheel. The 5er seems “better” to us mostly because we made a major upgrade.

That aside, the 5er tows great. It’s easier to hook up than the TT. You can’t beat the storage and ceiling height. And I really like “the look” of a fifth wheel.

However, I do miss my truck bed space. And with only 2 trips under our belts with the FW, I’ve already encountered limitations with maneuvering and the proximity of the truck and trailer coming dangerously close to contact, mostly on vertical changes in the road. I do fine with turns, but it’s the tailgate or back window making contact when driving across “dips” that scare me.

Pros and cons with each....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast