User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Your experience is on the money. My family has been in the RV business for over 50 years and we have camped in just about every type of RV out there. Trust me, bigger is NOT always better. We have a 1/2 ton pickup with tow package and tow the Imagine 17MKE. It's a 17 foot body plus the hitch length. It has a murphy bed, so it has the living area of a much bigger camper. Any half ton will tow it easily, and it will fit into just about any site. It has two recliners,(or you can get a dinette, we love the recliners) nice TV, sofa and a good size shower and bath. My wife likes all the counter space in it. And tons of storage. We love it. It's the hottest trailer on the market right now for good reason, it's easy to tow, maneuver and you can use the pickup like a car. I would shy away from a huge truck and trailer at least to start. We could have anything we want for an RV, and this is it. Good luck!
    We just bought our first trailer..... a 2021 17MKE but have not received it as yet. Looking forward to the summer. Also got the recliners. Seems like a very well built unit.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam81PDX View Post
    Thank you for your advice I figure regardless of model we'd do a full-ton to be plenty safe. Lots of hilly/mountainous roads in the Pac NW .. don't want to be "that guy" struggling to get up the incline.
    Absolutely 350/3500, especially if you choose a 5th wheel. Search payload on this Forum and also on the Forest River Forum before you select a truck. You are wiser than 99% of newbies in your thinking. Good luck and have fun!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So.. My wife and I are 39- no kids yet but hopeful and trying. We went on a 2 week vacation to visit the "Mighty 5" national parks in Utah earlier this month and rented a 25 foot motor home from Cruise America. We went into it having zero RV experience and not really having high expectations as we typically take more tropical/relaxing vacations. In fact we never vacation in the US if I'm being honest. We had an absolute blast. The RV though stunk. I quickly saw the downside of having to drive what you live in every day - getting stuff setup/taken down every day, stressing over parking spots at the trailheads because of the size of it etc. We immediately started researching travel trailers/fifth wheels mid-way through the trip and by the time we got home we were already thinking of all the places within a half day to day drive of Portland we could do extended weekend trips and then other 1-2 week trips in neighboring states in 2021.

Needless to say we are looking to get a trailer and a truck over the winter so by spring we are ready to take another trip but on our own terms with a much nicer and more practical setup. Yesterday we took a peek at the GD Reflections and Solitudes. We were blown away but also overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of floor plans and the sizes of them. I've towed larger boats since my teenage years (and yes I know a travel trailer or fifth wheel is considerably different but at least I'm familiar with trailering). My wife works from home full time (online/zoom practitioner) so she was really drawn to the 367/377 offerings as that mid-bunk could be used for an office on our trips to create privacy from the main living area which would allow us to have longer trips so she doesn't get so far behind in work. I thought getting up to 40+ feet seemed insane from the standpoint of towing and finding RV places that can handle that length. I was most interested in the 320MKS because it had the outdoor kitchen/tv setup and was more modest in length but still had that corner desk in the main living area. We live on acreage so storing the trailer isn't an issue.

We'd be doing a mix of extended weekend trips in the Pacific NW and then a couple 1-2 week trips to neighboring states per year. I'd like the ability to have another couple come with so sleeping 4 is a necessity which again the mid-bunk would allow that WITH privacy whereas the other models would put them out in the main living area.

Are we biting off WAY too much RV going right for one of the better/larger makes/models one can get from the get-go? We typically do things right the first time in terms of spending a bit more to get something better/higher quality that will last. We also figured we'd narrow down the model THEN buy the truck to match and overkill the hauling on it to be plenty safe.

I'd love advice from any other first-time buyers that went with a GD and how they chose the model they chose. I'd also love the advice on size. A few of my friends that have trailers/fifth wheels all focused on being under 35 feet and some under 30 but that eliminates entirely that mid-bunk which my wife seems stuck on.

One last thing to note- we hope to move to Idaho in the next 1-2 years. If so, we'd be able to potentially live in what we buy short-term while building our next home as an alternative to renting which again would favor the mid-bunk since it would realistically allow my wife to work while I'm doing other things in the trailer without distraction.

Lecture away please
    Please get the right one to last. We bought a Class C last year and towed a 22 foot car hauler so we’re still hauling 50 feet down the road. After 15 weeks in it this year (COVID delayed our start until June) we decided we didn’t need to continue to crawl over each other but to get more livable space. We take delivery on our 320MKS which we will tow with an F-350 Diesel. May still get 20 weeks this first year on the road. Good luck shopping. We love the 320MKS floor plan, which allows us some “space”.

Happy traveling
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the 320MKS! While the “couch” isn’t big enough to sleep 2 adults, the desk is awesome, and we did live in our full time for over 6 months...even at 32 feet, we couldn’t get into a lot of US parks as they’re lengths are max 28 feet, so beware if you by a 40 footer! Good luck!
    So.. My wife and I are 39- no kids yet but hopeful and trying. We went on a 2 week vacation to visit the "Mighty 5" national parks in Utah earlier this month and rented a 25 foot motor home from Cruise America. We went into it having zero RV experience and not really having high expectations as we typically take more tropical/relaxing vacations. In fact we never vacation in the US if I'm being honest. We had an absolute blast. The RV though stunk. I quickly saw the downside of having to drive what you live in every day - getting stuff setup/taken down every day, stressing over parking spots at the trailheads because of the size of it etc. We immediately started researching travel trailers/fifth wheels mid-way through the trip and by the time we got home we were already thinking of all the places within a half day to day drive of Portland we could do extended weekend trips and then other 1-2 week trips in neighboring states in 2021.

Needless to say we are looking to get a trailer and a truck over the winter so by spring we are ready to take another trip but on our own terms with a much nicer and more practical setup. Yesterday we took a peek at the GD Reflections and Solitudes. We were blown away but also overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of floor plans and the sizes of them. I've towed larger boats since my teenage years (and yes I know a travel trailer or fifth wheel is considerably different but at least I'm familiar with trailering). My wife works from home full time (online/zoom practitioner) so she was really drawn to the 367/377 offerings as that mid-bunk could be used for an office on our trips to create privacy from the main living area which would allow us to have longer trips so she doesn't get so far behind in work. I thought getting up to 40+ feet seemed insane from the standpoint of towing and finding RV places that can handle that length. I was most interested in the 320MKS because it had the outdoor kitchen/tv setup and was more modest in length but still had that corner desk in the main living area. We live on acreage so storing the trailer isn't an issue.

We'd be doing a mix of extended weekend trips in the Pacific NW and then a couple 1-2 week trips to neighboring states per year. I'd like the ability to have another couple come with so sleeping 4 is a necessity which again the mid-bunk would allow that WITH privacy whereas the other models would put them out in the main living area.

Are we biting off WAY too much RV going right for one of the better/larger makes/models one can get from the get-go? We typically do things right the first time in terms of spending a bit more to get something better/higher quality that will last. We also figured we'd narrow down the model THEN buy the truck to match and overkill the hauling on it to be plenty safe.

I'd love advice from any other first-time buyers that went with a GD and how they chose the model they chose. I'd also love the advice on size. A few of my friends that have trailers/fifth wheels all focused on being under 35 feet and some under 30 but that eliminates entirely that mid-bunk which my wife seems stuck on.

One last thing to note- we hope to move to Idaho in the next 1-2 years. If so, we'd be able to potentially live in what we buy short-term while building our next home as an alternative to renting which again would favor the mid-bunk since it would realistically allow my wife to work while I'm doing other things in the trailer without distraction.

Lecture away please

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up with a Class A when I was a kid. However, my husband has/had zero RV experiences. I am 40 and we have kids that are 2,4,6, and 18. We went from nothing to a 377. We LOVE the floor plan and none stay, towing it is not nearly as intimidating as I feared! Our dealer gave us some driving lessons and we eventually hope to do an RV Driving School experience. That said, I drive it full time and am very comfortable driving going forward and gaining comfort with backing it. The mid bunks floor plans are ideal for so many reasons - working remotely, having guests, and a baby/young children. Our number one reason for the midbunk as opposed to the rear bunk rooms was that we wanted a large living space. We camp with friends or have people come hang at our campsite and it is perfect!! As others mentioned, having the right row vehicle is essential! Even though it’s slightly less convenient to park as a daily vehicle, we love our crew cab dually! It is a great vehicle for the kids (LOTS of leg room) and tows the 377 easily. I encourage you to get what you want and then get the training necessary, rather than settle for what you feel comfortable driving now! Best wishes to you!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    I would also suggest that, while you are reviewing different models at the dealership, you look at the units with all of the slides in. We have the Reflection 303 and you don’t go beyond the front of the island with the rear slides in. We knew that going in, so it’s okay. We can get into the fridge and freezer, and use the water in the sink. No table, chairs, recliner, sofa, TV, etc. We can also use the bathroom and bedroom. The bedroom slide is against the driver-side of the bed, but it’s still usable.

In some units, you can’t event get to the bath and bedroom because some kid who has never even stayed in a unit designed it with the steps up the wrong side, and they are covered by a slide.

Just be sure that it will meet your needs before you put your cash on the line.

Lived in Portland for over 40 years. It’s a nice place to be from...
    I did the same thing, when my wife and I travel we stop over night at truck stops, rest stops and Walmart's, until we get to our destination, which is usually a private campground with full hookups.
    We always look at a trailer with the slid outs closed. We went from an Imagine 2250RK to our present 303RLS
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are on trailer number 4 in 6 years. It was a learning curve. Started with a 9 year old 28' Keystone fifth wheel, which was fine until we decided we wanted something newer and I wanted to bring my motorcycle along. Then came a new 40' Forest River toy hauler, which we kept for a year. Too big, too heavy, too many problems, resulting in too much time sitting in a Camping World lot waiting for warranty issues. Gave up on taking the motorcycle and bought a couple of e-bikes. Next was a 2015 Airstream Flying Cloud 28. Beautiful trailer and towed so well. After a year, we realized we wanted a little more room for our long trips, and Airstream doesn't do slides. In June, we bought a 2021 Imagine 2800BH. It is by far our favorite. We've put 10,000 miles on the trailer to date, and have had no issues that couldn't be solved with just a phone call to the manufacturer. Not too big but very comfortable, tows easily. We really like the bunk area, and there is quite a bit of storage area under the lower bunk. I would suggest buying what works for you now or in the near future, rather than buying something that you think you might need down the. You don't know what you don't know at this point.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only add, if you're thinking of staying in your camper at a park while getting a house built or for any length of time (months) , get on a reservation list as soon as you have an idea of time frame.
    Monthly RV parking availability in the Boise area is tighter than it has been in years past.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We own a GD 2019 320 MKS and are pleased with the floorplan. The 35' length was perfect since we wanted to stay 35' or under because our research showed a lot of parks can't park one any larger. I like the desk in the rear of the RV but it is not like having a dedicated office since it is right beside the fridge and the kitchen sink. The kitchen is probably the busiest area so not much privacy if that is what you need. It is not an issue with us because there is only my wife and me. As for the outside kitchen, we were originally swayed by having one but it really hasn't been used a lot. The outdoor TV has even more cobwebs on it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... Wanted to thank all of you for your advice. We looked at 3 more dealers this weekend which allowed us to see pretty much everything else out there that had similar floorplans- Alliance, Jayco, Dutchmen, Montana, Alpine etc. We loved the Montana line and the Alpine line and the Alliance was really unique as well.

After more discussions I'd LOVE to have a larger one with the separate family room or den/office feel but I keep coming back to the worry that I won't be able to take it as many places. My friend who's in the RV business keeps saying stick to 35 feet or under to ensure you don't have limitations. He also said buy what's right for you two and CAN accommodate others but don't buy with that as your priority as 75% of the time it'll likely be the two of you which is probably accurate.

Another thing we noticed quickly is tank sizes. We're out in the Pacific NW and would love the ability to do boondock weekend trips (2-3 nights) on the coast and in other areas but were surprised at how small the tanks are on a lot of these. 50-60 gal fresh seems to be the average. The Alliance 310RL and the Solitude 310GK had considerably larger tanks than any other company. They are basically identical in floor plans and are also priced similarly. They also fall at just under 35 feet which would satisfy the length requirement.

Even though I'm less "excited" about those models because they don't have the flashier massive family room/TV setup separate from the kitchen and boast smaller bathrooms they seem more practical for how we'd use it. They'd provide an easier experience for shorter trips, yet allow us to spend upwards of 2 weeks straight in them without feeling cramped. They have tons of storage and have the larger tanks that would allow us more flexibility on boondock trips in terms of how limiting we have to be with our water.

Thoughts? Being our first trailer purchase I want to try and get it right - neither are inexpensive that's for sure but my thought is that's a good compromise on size (and would still allow a second couple to come and use the fold-out couch) would be find to tow with a 3500 diesel, and if we started here we'd never know what we're missing on the larger one since we haven't camped in anything else.

If any of you have thoughts on the above or suggestions on other models to check out under 35 feet with larger tanks I'd love to know.

Lastly - can you add a second fresh water tank to increase your capacity rather easily (professionally, I wouldn't attempt)? I find it odd so many of them have a gray+black that far exceeds the fresh. If we could add a second tank to get up around the Solitude numbers (91 verses say the 320MKS at 60) it would make us reconsider other models in a heartbeat as my wife doesn't really care for the color palate of the Solitude line for 2021 and for that much money I feel like you should LOVE what you are getting. The Montana in comparison had a much better "look" on the interior...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast