User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my wife and I retired and decided to try spending winters in an RV in Palm Springs, we decided not to go all in. We wanted to be able to sell the RV if it didn't work out without loosing too much money (relatively speaking). Since we weren't sure if we'd like this RV wintering idea, we got a 35' Reflection 5th wheel. After the first winter, we were hooked but my wife really wanted an extra 1/2 bath. I wanted something with a few more bells and whistles and more storage so we ended up selling the Reflection and getting a much larger Solitude 373FB. The 373FB was a great rig for sitting on our lot in Palm Springs but it brought a few challenges when trying to find spaces in some RV parks. It would generally fit but many times the truck didn't so we had to park the truck away from our site. Not a big deal but not great.

Fast forward to last winter and we decided we wanted to hit the road with the RV and actually travel with it (including Alaska). We both wanted a shorter RV for that. I didn't like the fact that the DRW truck we bought for the 373FB wouldn't fit in our garage so we sold it and the 373 and went back to a smaller RV and truck. We now have a Solitude 310GK-R and an SRW F-350. It's a much better setup for actually traveling. The truck and RV are separately and together easier to maneuver. We have no problems finding spaces that will accommodate our truck and RV. So for us, the 35' length is a good length for traveling. After we're done with exploring the country, I suspect we'll go back to a larger 5th wheel once again. We prefer a larger RV if it's just sitting on a lot and not rolling down the road.

I agree the interiors of the Solitudes could stand to be updated. We do prefer the Linen interior to the darker Mocha but there are many other areas that could be refreshed. My wife showed me some pictures of some new interior materials that were just released for some units. You may want to look into that. I think they may have done things like replace the sparkly fabric by the windows (my wife does not like that at all). I think they also have gray seating and different counter tops and plumbing fixtures.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and remember - you can always undo a bad decision. It will cost you money but it's not the end of the world. We're on our third 5th wheel and truck in four years and I doubt if we'll have this setup for more than a couple years. I'm always looking for the next thing. Too much time in retirement :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great goal to try to get it right the first time, and you are doing all the right things and asking the questions in support of that goal. So, kudo's to you on that.

Having said that, don't be surprised if, after you have the "perfect" rig, that you find somethings you wish you had, or somethings that are not "perfect". It's all about compromise really, and minimizing the compromising you have to accept.

As you gain more experience in the world of RVing, your needs will evolve. Somethings you thought were important will turn out to be less so. But, keep pushing, keep asking questions, and you will be in much better position overall.

Final word of advice.. don't get enamored or swayed by the bling. You have to learn to look past the bling at true quality of construction.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Oregon and love camping in our state parks and national forest campgrounds. We own a 260RD that is about 30 ft long. It works well for us and can be a bit tight in some campsites. There is typically no problem getting a site long enough for the 30ft trailer and another ten feet would not keep us out of the state parks. It would make it tight in national forest campgrounds and some national parks like Rainier. Sometimes our 30ft trailer can be challenging depending on the angle of the site. Sites at a 90 degree can be challenging because of where the tow vehicle needs to swing as you are backing up. If the campground roads are narrow or trees, posts and other things are in the way when you are swinging around that can also be challenging. You should be able to make most things work if you are patient and choose your site carefully. Personally, 30 feet is my max but it is all about trade offs and what works best for you. Enjoy!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband and I and our dogs are going from a Cougar 22RBSWE to a Reflection 297RSTS. Reason: Space & storage. Things I discovered/learned in short time:
    #1 consider where the vents are. In the Cougar they are on the floor. Reflection they are not on the floor. Dog hair & dirt in vents and stepping on them.

#2 make sure you have plenty of storage for paperwork, reference materials, hanging your winter coats, clothes. With the Reflection we were waffling between the version we got and the one with a closet and bed slide out east/west. Didn’t go with closet/slide out bed bc there were no USB plugs, electrical outlets or place to put phones next to bed.

#3 Cougar amazing experience for PNW camping when you won’t be working. Hoping Reflection will be amazing for PNW all year living/working. We did look at bunkhouse for an office and I think you’re on the right track for that. I need space to work for long periods of time (table & chair) not privacy.

#4 Make sure you can easily make the bed with room to get around the bed. Cougar difficult to make bed. Hoping with Reflection and more room on side of bed it will be easier. Reflection with closet/slide out bed did not have room on either side to easily make bed.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    I would also suggest that, while you are reviewing different models at the dealership, you look at the units with all of the slides in. We have the Reflection 303 and you don’t go beyond the front of the island with the rear slides in. We knew that going in, so it’s okay. We can get into the fridge and freezer, and use the water in the sink. No table, chairs, recliner, sofa, TV, etc. We can also use the bathroom and bedroom. The bedroom slide is against the driver-side of the bed, but it’s still usable.

In some units, you can’t event get to the bath and bedroom because some kid who has never even stayed in a unit designed it with the steps up the wrong side, and they are covered by a slide.

Just be sure that it will meet your needs before you put your cash on the line.

Lived in Portland for over 40 years. It’s a nice place to be from...
    I'd listen to this. Man surely knows what he's talking about! Good advice

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.... if you're not confused by now let me add this....

If I were in the Northwest and was thinking of just making short trips for a few years before relocating to Iowa I'd be looking at Northwood RV models (think Arctic Fox) and Outdoors Manufacturing. Both made somewhere in the NW, both more dedicated to the camping style there. Plenty of models to choose from.

Then when you move you might find it works OK or, like your experience with the rented RV you had, you may find you want something entirely different.

We survived quite well in a 2 slide, 33' 5th wheel for a year while our house was being built and while I worked. Long before all the trend these days of full-timing, working on the road, and making YouTube videos.

One more thought - I don't think there is such a thing as buying your last RV first. While folks claim they have, if you do this for about 7 or 10 years you will very likely change models - it goes with the lifestyle, the building and technology advancements and such - the same as automobiles and trucks.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234