User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time buyer... too much RV?

So.. My wife and I are 39- no kids yet but hopeful and trying. We went on a 2 week vacation to visit the "Mighty 5" national parks in Utah earlier this month and rented a 25 foot motor home from Cruise America. We went into it having zero RV experience and not really having high expectations as we typically take more tropical/relaxing vacations. In fact we never vacation in the US if I'm being honest. We had an absolute blast. The RV though stunk. I quickly saw the downside of having to drive what you live in every day - getting stuff setup/taken down every day, stressing over parking spots at the trailheads because of the size of it etc. We immediately started researching travel trailers/fifth wheels mid-way through the trip and by the time we got home we were already thinking of all the places within a half day to day drive of Portland we could do extended weekend trips and then other 1-2 week trips in neighboring states in 2021.

Needless to say we are looking to get a trailer and a truck over the winter so by spring we are ready to take another trip but on our own terms with a much nicer and more practical setup. Yesterday we took a peek at the GD Reflections and Solitudes. We were blown away but also overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of floor plans and the sizes of them. I've towed larger boats since my teenage years (and yes I know a travel trailer or fifth wheel is considerably different but at least I'm familiar with trailering). My wife works from home full time (online/zoom practitioner) so she was really drawn to the 367/377 offerings as that mid-bunk could be used for an office on our trips to create privacy from the main living area which would allow us to have longer trips so she doesn't get so far behind in work. I thought getting up to 40+ feet seemed insane from the standpoint of towing and finding RV places that can handle that length. I was most interested in the 320MKS because it had the outdoor kitchen/tv setup and was more modest in length but still had that corner desk in the main living area. We live on acreage so storing the trailer isn't an issue.

We'd be doing a mix of extended weekend trips in the Pacific NW and then a couple 1-2 week trips to neighboring states per year. I'd like the ability to have another couple come with so sleeping 4 is a necessity which again the mid-bunk would allow that WITH privacy whereas the other models would put them out in the main living area.

Are we biting off WAY too much RV going right for one of the better/larger makes/models one can get from the get-go? We typically do things right the first time in terms of spending a bit more to get something better/higher quality that will last. We also figured we'd narrow down the model THEN buy the truck to match and overkill the hauling on it to be plenty safe.

I'd love advice from any other first-time buyers that went with a GD and how they chose the model they chose. I'd also love the advice on size. A few of my friends that have trailers/fifth wheels all focused on being under 35 feet and some under 30 but that eliminates entirely that mid-bunk which my wife seems stuck on.

One last thing to note- we hope to move to Idaho in the next 1-2 years. If so, we'd be able to potentially live in what we buy short-term while building our next home as an alternative to renting which again would favor the mid-bunk since it would realistically allow my wife to work while I'm doing other things in the trailer without distraction.

Lecture away please

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't be concerned with the size, you'll get comfortable towing it after awhile. If you like to do a lot of national parks, they are typically older and smaller and limit length to 35'. There are still LOTS of places for big campers as they are pretty standard these days. It really comes out to where you plan on spending most time. Make sure to do plenty of reading on here about tow vehicle selection so you dont have to buy a truck and then buy a bigger truck. They always say, buy your 3rd camper first, sounds like you're headed that way. Spend some time at dealerships sitting in floor models that you like and try to picture your daily routine and where you will keep items you need. Dont be afraid to spend hours at a dealer sitting in different models. Just let them know you want some time alone to make sure it's the right one and they shouldn't harass you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't be concerned with the size, you'll get comfortable towing it after awhile. If you like to do a lot of national parks, they are typically older and smaller and limit length to 35'. There are still LOTS of places for big campers as they are pretty standard these days. It really comes out to where you plan on spending most time. Make sure to do plenty of reading on here about tow vehicle selection so you dont have to buy a truck and then buy a bigger truck. They always say, buy your 3rd camper first, sounds like you're headed that way. Spend some time at dealerships sitting in floor models that you like and try to picture your daily routine and where you will keep items you need. Dont be afraid to spend hours at a dealer sitting in different models. Just let them know you want some time alone to make sure it's the right one and they shouldn't harass you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your advice I figure regardless of model we'd do a full-ton to be plenty safe. Lots of hilly/mountainous roads in the Pac NW .. don't want to be "that guy" struggling to get up the incline.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam81PDX View Post
    So.. My wife and I are 39- no kids yet but hopeful and trying. We went on a 2 week vacation to visit the "Mighty 5" national parks in Utah earlier this month and rented a 25 foot motor home from Cruise America. We went into it having zero RV experience and not really having high expectations as we typically take more tropical/relaxing vacations. In fact we never vacation in the US if I'm being honest. We had an absolute blast. The RV though stunk. I quickly saw the downside of having to drive what you live in every day - getting stuff setup/taken down every day, stressing over parking spots at the trailheads because of the size of it etc. We immediately started researching travel trailers/fifth wheels mid-way through the trip and by the time we got home we were already thinking of all the places within a half day to day drive of Portland we could do extended weekend trips and then other 1-2 week trips in neighboring states in 2021.

Needless to say we are looking to get a trailer and a truck over the winter so by spring we are ready to take another trip but on our own terms with a much nicer and more practical setup. Yesterday we took a peek at the GD Reflections and Solitudes. We were blown away but also overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of floor plans and the sizes of them. I've towed larger boats since my teenage years (and yes I know a travel trailer or fifth wheel is considerably different but at least I'm familiar with trailering). My wife works from home full time (online/zoom practitioner) so she was really drawn to the 367/377 offerings as that mid-bunk could be used for an office on our trips to create privacy from the main living area which would allow us to have longer trips so she doesn't get so far behind in work. I thought getting up to 40+ feet seemed insane from the standpoint of towing and finding RV places that can handle that length. I was most interested in the 320MKS because it had the outdoor kitchen/tv setup and was more modest in length but still had that corner desk in the main living area. We live on acreage so storing the trailer isn't an issue.

We'd be doing a mix of extended weekend trips in the Pacific NW and then a couple 1-2 week trips to neighboring states per year. I'd like the ability to have another couple come with so sleeping 4 is a necessity which again the mid-bunk would allow that WITH privacy whereas the other models would put them out in the main living area.

Are we biting off WAY too much RV going right for one of the better/larger makes/models one can get from the get-go? We typically do things right the first time in terms of spending a bit more to get something better/higher quality that will last. We also figured we'd narrow down the model THEN buy the truck to match and overkill the hauling on it to be plenty safe.

I'd love advice from any other first-time buyers that went with a GD and how they chose the model they chose. I'd also love the advice on size. A few of my friends that have trailers/fifth wheels all focused on being under 35 feet and some under 30 but that eliminates entirely that mid-bunk which my wife seems stuck on.

One last thing to note- we hope to move to Idaho in the next 1-2 years. If so, we'd be able to potentially live in what we buy short-term while building our next home as an alternative to renting which again would favor the mid-bunk since it would realistically allow my wife to work while I'm doing other things in the trailer without distraction.

Lecture away please
    Get the one that you want the first time so you don't need to upgrade again. Yes 40' is a big trailer and may limit you getting into some places but if your wife wants to work when travelling and you think you may want to take another couple along that extra room will be a trip saver. It give some privacy.

We went from a bunk model unit that worked really well for us and our kids to a couples model 297RSTS. It works really good for my wife and I but as soon as the kids (25 & 23) decided that they wanted to come for an extended weekend it go crowded and not enough sleeping room, especially when the weather got cold and our daughter decided to abandon her fiancee to sleep on the recliners. Tent was too cold.

You will get used to the bigger trailer. Just practice parking and backing up in an empty parking lot and take your time. You will need a minimum 350, 3500 SRW to tow one of those. Most would recommend a DRW.

Good luck whatever you choose to do and enjoy the travels.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a pop-up, 24 ft travel trailer and now a 42 ft fifth wheel. As you say, it's all about floor plan; key to pick the one that meets your needs. I'd recommend making sure you look at the floor plan in person. Spend some time in all of the chairs. For me personally, I find the dinettes uncomfortable. Check out the shower, step into it and close the door.

As an owner of one of the longer models; I can say I need to book ahead and I make it clear that I am 42 ft long, with 5 slides. I have heard of folks saying there are many national parks that restrict the larger models, so, bear that in mind. For me personally, I have not had too many issues, but I have stayed on the east coast. Bottom line is that the longer size does limit what can work, so reserving in advance is a must.

Check out, in person, a floor plan that has opposing slides, it is one of the things that sold us on our floor plan; makes for a huge space. We also like having a washer and dryer, if that is a want, see what you have left after giving up the space for that.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a residential fridge. We never boondock, so I have no need for a fridge that works on propane.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I have had a pop-up, 24 ft travel trailer and now a 42 ft fifth wheel. As you say, it's all about floor plan; key to pick the one that meets your needs. I'd recommend making sure you look at the floor plan in person. Spend some time in all of the chairs. For me personally, I find the dinettes uncomfortable. Check out the shower, step into it and close the door.

As an owner of one of the longer models; I can say I need to book ahead and I make it clear that I am 42 ft long, with 5 slides. I have heard of folks saying there are many national parks that restrict the larger models, so, bear that in mind. For me personally, I have not had too many issues, but I have stayed on the east coast. Bottom line is that the longer size does limit what can work, so reserving in advance is a must.

Check out, in person, a floor plan that has opposing slides, it is one of the things that sold us on our floor plan; makes for a huge space. We also like having a washer and dryer, if that is a want, see what you have left after giving up the space for that.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a residential fridge. We never boondock, so I have no need for a fridge that works on propane.
    Nice sig

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lecture away please
    We started out looking at an Imagine 2600RB as THE ONE. We went to the dealer to look at one they had just received. By the time we got there it had been sold and already shipped to one of their other branches. They had a used 2600RB. We looked at it just so we could get a feel of the floorplan. We liked it. Then we started looking at the other GD Imagines on the lot and found the 2970RL. This is a true couples coach. We kept going back to the 2970RL. We really loved this one! We definitely questioned if we were going too big or too fancy. Our previous 20+ years we used, and still own, a 1962 Airstream Safari. So this was a major, major upgrade for us.

In the end I can say we bought our second RV first. Which as someone else has said is what you should do.

If you need an office space I don't think you can beat the mid-bunk layout.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Are we biting off WAY too much RV going right for one of the better/larger makes/models one can get from the get-go?
    It depends on where you camp. If you plan to stay in state campgrounds, the spaces are typically very short. Even a 30' RV would be pushing it in many Oregon state parks. If you stay in private RV parks, size typically won't be an issue.

When we got our first 5th wheel (only 35'), the height was very intimidating compared to the travel trailers we owned previously. After our first trip, the size was no longer an issue. We got used to it very quickly. You learn to watch out for low trees and choose routes accordingly (like avoiding driving through downtown Portland). When we bought our Solitude 373FB-R (42'), we started using truck stops for refueling rather than trying to use corner gas stations. Way less stressful and it significantly lowers the risk of an accident.

A lot of people move up to larger/nicer RV's after a couple years. You will save money if you get what you really want the first time. BTW, if you choose a 5th wheel with a GVWR over 16,000lbs, I'd recommend a DRW diesel truck. Otherwise you will likely exceed the payload rating of your truck.

Oh, one more thing-
    The Momentum toy haulers can be set up with a bedroom/office and even a second full bath in the rear. You may want to look at those as well.

Have fun shopping and don't let the size of larger RV's intimidate you.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    It depends on where you camp. If you plan to stay in state campgrounds, the spaces are typically very short. Even a 30' RV would be pushing it in many Oregon state parks. If you stay in private RV parks, size typically won't be an issue.

When we got our first 5th wheel (only 35'), the height was very intimidating compared to the travel trailers we owned previously. After our first trip, the size was no longer an issue. We got used to it very quickly. You learn to watch out for low trees and choose routes accordingly (like avoiding driving through downtown Portland). When we bought our Solitude 373FB-R (42'), we started using truck stops for refueling rather than trying to use corner gas stations. Way less stressful and it significantly lowers the risk of an accident.

A lot of people move up to larger/nicer RV's after a couple years. You will save money if you get what you really want the first time. BTW, if you choose a 5th wheel with a GVWR over 16,000lbs, I'd recommend a DRW diesel truck. Otherwise you will likely exceed the payload rating of your truck.

Oh, one more thing-
    The Momentum toy haulers can be set up with a bedroom/office and even a second full bath in the rear. You may want to look at those as well.

Have fun shopping and don't let the size of larger RV's intimidate you.
    Thank you for your advice - a fellow Oregonian!!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lecture away please
    The general theory is that many people buy 3 RVs before they get the one they should have bought in the first place. I heard that and decided I didn't want to be that person. I just couldn't see having to move and set up home 3 times before enjoying the trip.

We looked for 3 years before we settled on the rig we wanted. And bought it with the mindset that we would be using it for at least the next 10 years. We bought our truck first, mostly because we both had small cars previously, and wanted to get comfortable with a big vehicle before trying to tow anything with it. We were fairly certain as to the size of RV we were going to get, so we got a truck that would pull that weight. As it turns out our truck is actually bigger than we really need for the rig, but it made it very easy towing up and down the Canadian Rockies.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast