User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How soon to upgrade Suspension and Brakes?

I'm in the market for a new(er) 5th wheel and have been doing a lot of research. I've previously had a 30ft TT Toyhauler and most recently a 31' Class C and an very much aware of how the RV industry builds and the claims on weight. My Toyhauler was a Weekend Warrior that was well overweight from the factory (Multiple class action lawsuits) and had frame inadequacies that the manufacture took care of and I upgraded the suspension on that rig as well as the Class C. I also know to weigh everything and trust no yellow sticker

I'm looking at the new Reflection 340RDS. I have read the issues with having more of the weight on the drivers side and general problems with springs failing. I also understand the benefits of moving to Disc Brakes over the drums. I have also read about several levels of suspension upgrades including higher rated springs, slipper springs, and the ultimate IS. I have also towed enough to know that everything is good, until it isn't and when it isn't it can go bad in a hurry - Panic stop anyone?

So here is my question: I am nearly 100% sure that I will go to Disc Brakes (really wish this was an option from the factory) so should I just plan on doing that right out of the gate and before even a shakedown trip? If I don't do it right away I will be pulling the hubs for an initial inspection as i've heard about the abuse some transport drivers put on the trailer brakes. Should I also move to an upgraded suspension at the same time or give the trailer a bit to settle in? It seems the reflection is now coming with the MORryde CRE3000 but not sure how much of an upgrade this really is and know it won't compensate for mismatched suspension components. Should I consider a full axle swap as part of this and move up to 7K axles as a package as it seems with a GVW of 13,995 the 6K axels will be maxed out or even over at full load.

I hate to have to do so much to a brand new rig but also know that finding myself broken down somewhere in BFE I'd gladly pay $1000s to not have the problem. I welcome thoughts and first hand experiences and appreciate all the knowledge I have already gained from this site..
    2024 Solitude 380FL
    Dodge 3500 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably already know, but you can get the Solitudes with upgraded axels and brakes. But I don't think they have a Solitude in the floor plan you are thinking of.

Anyhow..... I replaced my brakes, suspension (installed a MorRyde SRE4000), after only one trip. I waited that long (3 months) only because I had that trip planned and didn't want to delay it. Back then (2019) there wasn't an option for upgrading the running gear.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    You probably already know, but you can get the Solitudes with upgraded axels and brakes. But I don't think they have a Solitude in the floor plan you are thinking of.

Anyhow..... I replaced my brakes, suspension (installed a MorRyde SRE4000), after only one trip. I waited that long (3 months) only because I had that trip planned and didn't want to delay it. Back then (2019) there wasn't an option for upgrading the running gear.
    Yup - I did notice that the Solitudes have the options for Axle upgrades. Solitudes are more money and larger than we are looking for. So many tradeoffs. Thanks for the thoughts.
    2024 Solitude 380FL
    Dodge 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, two nuggets for you... I have rebuilt and reinforced my suspension and my rig turned a year old last week. If you can afford the discs, go for it! Well worth the investment. I don't know what is standard this year on the Reflections, but you will likely want to consider an equalizer upgrade and heavy duty shackle kit putting wet bolts at every suspension link. I'm also a fan of cross braces.

I'm in Indiana for about two weeks. Today I saw a transporter towing a Reflection 5er so nose high the front axle was actually skipping down the highway!!! I could not believe it. They drag them out of level all the time, but the first I have ever seen such an extreme!!!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania