User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning Drive Motor

Our awning drive motor has started to "complain" when retracting. (Whining and slowing down).
    The Lippert manual does not provide any info on lubricating motor drive or awning arm pivots.
    Any experience or advice on how to solve this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob...I have noticed before that center pivot on the pitch adjustment seems too stiff when retracting so I usually straight it out first. I haven't lubricated anything on the arms yet.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not get mine off the Dealer lot before mine had stopped rolling up. Waited 2 weeks for a new motor. Even with new motor installed the technician and service manager were concerned at how slowly the new one operated. They tested other GD with Lippert awnings for comparison and they all took 45-52 seconds to roll up (mine is 49 seconds). They found this unusual enough to mention to me, and tested other awnings that were not Lippert and most rolled up in 20 seconds. I got the feeling there are suspected problems with the Lippert awnings and after having this experience, I have looked at my awning very closely and feel that it is made with very cheap fabric, which makes me believe the awning itself is not the high quality of the other components in the GD.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    I did not get mine off the Dealer lot before mine had stopped rolling up. Waited 2 weeks for a new motor. Even with new motor installed the technician and service manager were concerned at how slowly the new one operated. They tested other GD with Lippert awnings for comparison and they all took 45-52 seconds to roll up (mine is 49 seconds). They found this unusual enough to mention to me, and tested other awnings that were not Lippert and most rolled up in 20 seconds. I got the feeling there are suspected problems with the Lippert awnings and after having this experience, I have looked at my awning very closely and feel that it is made with very cheap fabric, which makes me believe the awning itself is not the high quality of the other components in the GD.
    Hi @TENN22,

Would you mind adding your 17-digit RV VIN to the "About Me" section of your forum profile, or sending me a private message (PM) with your name, phone number and 17-digit RV VIN? Thanks in advance...

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDRV Customer Service View Post
    Hi @TENN22,

Would you mind adding your 17-digit RV VIN to the "About Me" section of your forum profile, or sending me a private message (PM) with your name, phone number and 17-digit RV VIN? Thanks in advance...

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Done. and PM Sent

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My impression is that the awning motor is smaller (less powerful) than in other brands, and therefore is more deeply geared. So it takes more revolutions of the motor to retract the awning.
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]