User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seamless transfer from main power to generator backup. How can I accomplish this?

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Maybe just set your generator controls so it doesn't automatically transfer power. Make it a manual transfer. That way you could trip the breakers off for your pumps and whatever else and once the generator is up to speed and running right flip them back on. It seems anything short of that is going to require a pretty large UPS.

I worked in a lot of data centers with pretty expensive UPS systems. It was my experience that the transfer was hardly every neat and clean for every piece of equipment. I don't recall loosing any equipment, just having to reboot/restart/reinitialize stuff (usually as the expense of my sleep late at night). That was a good number of years ago. Maybe things have improved. But if I had a generator on my house there would be no way I would let some automatic transfer switch handle things and I run UPSs on all my electronics and A/V systems.
    It’s the loss of power I’m trying to eliminate. Not so much the transfer.
    As for the automatic transfer, I like to set processes up so that they are executable by any person, whether I am around or not.
    Because, as of now, the generator has never transferred over. It is a brand new install. When our power went down, we were out for 24 hours. Long story short, we had 2 months to prepare and the contracted companies dropped the ball.
    So, I am looking to still improve for the next time, as I see a void that still needs to be filled.
    They explained to me just now, we can put a ups solely controlling the 2 pole 40a, that feeds another set of breakers that control pumps 1-5, and 5-10. These are the only sensitive electronics not on a ups and it seems like a fairly simple process.

Thanks everyone for the guidance. I’ll report back with new info as it becomes available and we discuss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by the.jmo; 10-27-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.jmo View Post
    I have those on all interior electronics that are fed from a receptacle.

What I need, is the same thing in theory for my pumps. Which are hard wired.

I have been speaking with the service companies about putting basically a battery backup inside of each dispenser if possible.

What you are looking for is a large scale Uninterruptible Power Supply. You would need one sized to the actual Electrical draw of your pumps and any other circuits that you need powered up until your Generator can kick in. These units consist of a power conditioner which automatically syncs the power with the grid (or Generator) and has a separate battery supply which can be sized to last a few minutes, to a few hours. The way the system works is the grid (or generator) power always is fed through the power conditioner (which helps protect all of your electronics) and if the grid power drops off, the batteries automatically (and seamlessly) supply power to all of your devices (via the internal Inverter) this also protects your equipment from brownouts. In your case the batteries would kick in for the 30 seconds you need until the Generator powers up, the power conditioner automatically syncs the power from the Grid or Generator.

You can size the system to supply only selected circuits in your station, or design it to supply all of your power requirements.

Another option which may be available to you is a stationary battery (like the Tesla Powerwall). I am not sure if this option is available without a complete Solar/Battery installation.

Based on your current losses, the Uninterruptible Power Supply would be well within your budget.

I have installed systems like this for Computer Systems and they are very reliable.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Many of our Data Centers are backed up by UPS until the generator fires up and gets up to speed. Check with Eaton or APC. They have different types of UPS and sizes for business. Anywhere from 500watt to in the mega watts. It's not cheap and batteries as we know have to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Regarding battery replacement on the larger UPS Systems, the charging electronics on these systems really treat your batteries well. I only had to replace the batteries in the system I was responsible for one time, I believe the original batteries lasted four or five years.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Regarding battery replacement on the larger UPS Systems, the charging electronics on these systems really treat your batteries well. I only had to replace the batteries in the system I was responsible for one time, I believe the original batteries lasted four or five years.
    We have maintenance contracts on all of ours and typically the batteries needs to be replaced after 5-6 yrs. Still somewhat good, just not as efficient.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also since we seem to have some tech and IT guys here, maybe you can help with this also! I greatly appreciate any input you guys have.

I need a cheap server rack with 4 shelves basically. Something 20” tall should work great. I see them for about $80+shelves on Amazon. Is this about as cheap as they get?
    I have 4 boxes that range between 12-16” wide and 1 3/4” tall to 3” tall.
    These boxes run my pumps, network, register, and another to tie all together basically.
    I want to clean them up very nicely stacked

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.jmo View Post
    Also since we seem to have some tech and IT guys here, maybe you can help with this also! I greatly appreciate any input you guys have.

I need a cheap server rack with 4 shelves basically. Something 20” tall should work great. I see them for about $80+shelves on Amazon. Is this about as cheap as they get?
    I have 4 boxes that range between 12-16” wide and 1 3/4” tall to 3” tall.
    These boxes run my pumps, network, register, and another to tie all together basically.
    I want to clean them up very nicely stacked

That seems like a good price. I recommend a 4 post server half rack with casters. Look for at least 20 or 22 u. 1u is equal to 1.75 in.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cal also get wallmount server racks.
    https://www.rack-solutions.ca/server...=racksolutions
    This site is just for example. Shop around.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12