User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Portable Air Compressor do you suggest?

What was a "want" on my list of things to consider for purchase has now become a NEED.

This past 2 weeks we took a 12 day trip from CO to TX and experienced a difficulty airing up my truck tires. When we are staying at one site for more than a couple of days I have made it a practice of lowering the tire pressure of my rear tires from 80lbs to 65lbs in order to prevent my fillings from falling out of my teeth. I obviously inflate the tires back to 80lbs the night before we depart. Most often I find a gas station to accomplish this and occasionally have used my small inexpensive portable air compressor.

On this trip, the night before pulling out for the return trip to CO, I went to three gas stations, Buckie's, Shell and QT without success in airing up my tires. Buckie's and Shell had air that could be purchased however the maximum pressure was 70lbs. QT had "free" air but it was limited to a maximum of 60lbs. Plan B was to use my small compressor and fill the tires however the compressor overheated and gave out before I could top off one tire not to mention two. Plan C had to be executed which was to depart the campsite and drive to the closest truck stop and use their air. I found an open lane in the tractor trailer lanes and attempted to fill my tires with their air however the valve stems for tractors is larger than the stem for a conventional vehicle. Now I was in a pickle.

Fortunately my prayer was answered and in the tractor trailer area was a tire service truck working on another rig. He came to my rescue and had the equipment necessary to top me off in just a few minutes at which I was more than pleased to tip him accordingly.

Now the NEED. What portable air compressor do you recommend?
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VIAIR RV-series.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viair is quality and I have one for filling my jeep tires. Works great for the higher volume / lower pressure. I also have a 10lb CO2 system that I use for filling high pressure tires. Makes the job very easy and and very quick and gettitng high pressures are never a problem. I can adjust tank regulator pressure to well over 100psi. A full tank will last a while if you're just adjusting pressures as you stated. Systems are a bit pricey but works really well and if needed you can run air tools.
    Last edited by Gblabla15; 10-26-2020 at 10:08 PM.
    2024 Solitude 380FL
    Dodge 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    VIAIR RV-series.
    Yup, works great. Hooks directly to your battery, like jumper cables, so that you have plenty of power to run it. There are a couple of different models, at different price points. We opted for the constant use, so that I don’t have to sit and wait for it to cool down if I need to use if for an extended period of time.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree on the Viair. Either 400RV or 450RV. I opted for the 400 even though it’s only 33% duty cycle it fills much faster than the 450 which has 100% duty cycle.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for input and comments.

It looks like Viair is the one and only to go with. In looking at the units the 400p-RV has more toys included that would prove to be helpful to the RV life, thus the model for RVs. The 400p is the same compressor as far as I can tell yet doesn't include the RV implements.

SC_Scott has an interesting point. In reading specs for the Viair units it appears that the 400p moves more cubic air than does the 450p. I wouldn't have noticed this had you not mentioned it.

It's pretty clear as to what I will ask Mrs. Claus for this Christmas.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa61 View Post
    Thanks for input and comments.

It looks like Viair is the one and only to go with. In looking at the units the 400p-RV has more toys included that would prove to be helpful to the RV life, thus the model for RVs. The 400p is the same compressor as far as I can tell yet doesn't include the RV implements.

SC_Scott has an interesting point. In reading specs for the Viair units it appears that the 400p moves more cubic air than does the 450p. I wouldn't have noticed this had you not mentioned it.

It's pretty clear as to what I will ask Mrs. Claus for this Christmas.
    VIAIR claims there is a bit of difference between the regular 400p and the 400p-RV, it may just be marketing there, but the real point is how they warranty between the two.

TechnoRV runs specials on VIAIRs for holiday buying. The owners are RVers and fantastic people! Consider giving them business, and be alerted to their private sales by signing up for their emails. Trust me, you won't ever find better customer service if you have an issue at all with your order.
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-28-2020 at 05:26 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took the 400-RV model. It has a secondary hose so you can run easily from the front of the truck to the back of the fifth wheel. Great product.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50ST8R View Post
    We took the 400-RV model. It has a secondary hose so you can run easily from the front of the truck to the back of the fifth wheel. Great product.
    I have a Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM Universal Air Compressor. I haven't used it extensively but works well and seems heavy duty.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I use and love. Fraction of the price. Dewalt has one also https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...ools/2475-21XC

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast