User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stair Tread Repair on M399TH

We recently took delivery of our new M399th. A couple of things slipped through our PDI that I need to fix. I'm going to fix them myself because our dealer wants us to drop it off and leave it for a week before they can get to it. We're actually living in it during our shakedown before heading out. Pretty inconvenient to leave it for a week.

Anyway, the biggie is the bottom bedroom stair tread popped off on the 2nd day we had it. Almost broke my neck. What's shown in the pic are a bunch of staples in the under side of the tread that were never attached to anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201014_142203.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	30432

I'm not sure of the best way to fix this. I could install a couple of counter sunk wood screws, but they'd be going into particle board. Not the strongest backing. Glue it down, perhaps?

How was it supposed to be installed to begin with?

I'm open to ideas.

TIA!
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post
    We recently took delivery of our new M399th. A couple of things slipped through our PDI that I need to fix. I'm going to fix them myself because our dealer wants us to drop it off and leave it for a week before they can get to it. We're actually living in it during our shakedown before heading out. Pretty inconvenient to leave it for a week.

Anyway, the biggie is the bottom bedroom stair tread popped off on the 2nd day we had it. Almost broke my neck. What's shown in the pic are a bunch of staples in the under side of the tread that were never attached to anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201014_142203.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	30432

I'm not sure of the best way to fix this. I could install a couple of counter sunk wood screws, but they'd be going into particle board. Not the strongest backing. Glue it down, perhaps?

How was it supposed to be installed to begin with?

I'm open to ideas.

TIA!
    Personally, I would use both. Get a good quality wood glue like Titebond II Premium (use liberally) and run a couple of screws to pull the tread down tight until the glue sets. The screws don't have to be huge, maybe like #6 and only an inch or so into the substrate. You also might want to be proactive and check the other treads as well.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 10-27-2020 at 10:52 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the above recommendation and would add that you head to a REAL hardware store an purchase trim screws, which have a very minimal countersunk head on them. You will be able to fill them with a little matching wood filler and never see them.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how much room is under the tread, but I saw someone posted elsewhere that they put hinges on the stair tread and used the space to store their shoes. My wife would love that!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. I got it fixed. Unfortunately, there's a fitted piece of particle board under the tread. I didn't want to risk screwing that up to see what's under it for possible storage (other than the sweep chute for the vacuum system).

I will say this: whatever wood they use for the treads, it's really hard!
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I got it fixed. Unfortunately, there's a fitted piece of particle board under the tread. I didn't want to risk screwing that up to see what's under it for possible storage (other than the sweep chute for the vacuum system).

I will say this: whatever wood they use for the treads, it's really hard!
    If you have the sweep tray, you made the right call as there's no room for shoe storage with it.

LOL! Pre-drilling is a woodworker's friend.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania